Mysteries of the Inca Empire
Discover Peru on this 11-day Mysteries of the Inca Empire tour. Learn about Peru’s history and its ancient Inca civilization as you explore Lima, the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, Cusco and Lake Titicaca. Visit ancient ruins as local guides provide insights into Peru’s past and present cultures. Take in the spectacular scenery, architecture and visit the mystical Machu Picchu, considered the “Lost City of the Incas.”
Take a guided tour of Lima and the San Francisco Monastery. Explore the Awanakancha and Pisac Indian Markets. See Ollantaytambo and even visit with locals in their homes give to gain a greater insight into their way of life. Take the Vistadome train high into the Andes mountains to reach the Sacred Valley. Visit the imposing ancient Incan temples of Sacsayhuaman and Koricancha, to discover the history and might of the lost empire. Throughout the tour you will be surrounded by stunning mountains, lakes and valleys whose images will remain with you for a long time to come.
11 Days • fr. $1,939
Tour Highlights & Offers
- A guided sightseeing tour of Lima including a visit to the San Francisco Monastery
- Guided sightseeing of Awanakancha and Pisac Indian Market in the Sacred Valley
- A visit to the village of Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley
- A visit to a local home in the Sacred Valley to experience what life is like in a traditional village
- Learn about Peruvian art on a visit to the Seminario Ceramics Workshop
- Visit a local chicheria and have a taste of a local drink called a Chicha
- Ride the Vistadome train from Cusco to Machu Picchu
- A guided your of Machu Picchu
- Overnight stay in the village of Machu Picchu
- A guided tour of Cusco including a visit to the Santo Domingo Monastery and the Cathedral. Also visit Sacsayhuaman, the amphitheatre of Kenko and the Red Fortress of Puca Pucara
- Take a guided tour of Taquile Island and the Uros Floating Islands in Lake Titicaca.
- A farewell dinner in Lake Titicaca
- Guided sightseeing of the pre-Incan cemetery of Sillustani and a visit to a local home
- Touring by private, first-class, air-conditioned motorcoach with free Wi-Fi
- Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation, except on Cosmos Lite vacations and unless otherwise noted above. This includes wait staff at included meals, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your Tour Director, Local Hosts®, Local Guides, driver, and ship’s crew are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in pricing details) and are discretionary. Gratuities are not included on Cosmos Lite vacations and are discretionary.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Jose Antonio Lima Hotel in Lima, Peru (3 nights)
- La Casona Yucay Hotel in Ycay (Sacred Valley), Peru (2 nights)
- El Mapi by Inkaterra Hotel in Machu Picchu, Peru (1 night)
- Jose Antonio Cusco Hotel in Cusco, Peru (2 nights)
- Xima Puno Hotel in Puno, Peru (2 nights)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Cosmos reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
ARRIVE LIMA, PERU
Welcome to Lima, Peru. Heralded as the “City of Kings” by Spanish conquistadors, Lima retains vestiges of its opulent past with its colonial buildings and world-class museums.
Jose Antonio Lima Hotel
Sightseeing today focuses on Lima’s colonial heritage. Founded in 1535, Lima was once capital of Spain’s South American Empire. Visit the baroque 11th-century San Francisco Monastery, with Spanish and Moorish architecture throughout. Continue to Plaza Mayor, where you will see the Government Palace that houses the presidential palace and was once the home of Francisco Pizarro, founder of Lima and conqueror of Peru. Nearby, see the cathedral where Pizarro’s remains are buried.
The remainder of your day is free to explore. Enjoy dinner at a local restaurant this evening.
Jose Antonio Lima Hotel
Sacred Valley, Peru
Fly to Cusco high in the Andes and upon arrival, descend into the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Stop at Awanakancha and learn about the importance of camelids (llama, vicuña, alpaca, and guanaco) for Inca cultures. See them up close and learn how their coats are transformed into precious fibers for ancient weaving techniques still in use today.
Continue to Pisac, a charming village with a famous Indian market, where you have plenty of time to browse the many colorful stalls selling handicrafts ranging from alpaca sweaters and blankets to painted vases and sterling silver. Later, arrive at your hotel in the peaceful Sacred Valley.
La Casona Yucay Hotel
Sacred Valley, Peru
Start the day with a visit to the village of Ollantaytambo and the Inca ruins of the same name. Explore the archaeological site that was the scene of the Inca resistance during the Spanish conquest—the only place ever to resist Spanish attacks. See how the temple area at the top of the terraces was the perfect defensive stronghold,
Next, visit a local home in this Incan town to experience life in a traditional village, which has been remarkably well preserved.
Then visit the Seminario Ceramics Workshop to learn about Peruvian ancient and modern art.
End your day at a local chicheria for a taste of a chicha, a typical Inca drink in Peru.
La Casona Yucay Hotel
SACRED VALLEY–MACHU PICCHU
Board the Vistadome Train that cuts a path through the picturesque Urubamba Valley bound for Aguas Calientes, the quaint town closest to the “Lost City of the Incas.”
Machu Picchu, Peru
Ascend the mountainside through tropical forest to the sacred refuge of Machu Picchu. Listen as your guide recounts the many accomplishments of the Incas as you tour the terraced ruins dating back to the 15th century. Abandoned when the Inca Empire fell to the Spanish, these remarkable ruins remained undiscovered for nearly 400 years. Many mysteries surrounding Machu Picchu remain to this day.
El Mapi by Inkaterra Hotel
Machu Picchu, Peru
Enjoy some free time this morning to explore the mountain town of Aguas Calientes; perhaps visit the local market, quaint boutiques, or take a walk along nearby trails.
Later this afternoon, return to Cusco, former capital of the Inca Empire for a two night stay.
Jose Antonio Cusco Hotel
Embark on a guided sightseeing tour of Cusco that focuses on the city that was once the political, military, and cultural epicenter of the Incas until the Spanish toppled it. In fact, Inca foundations can still be found in Cusco, with the Spanish baroque structures built on top. Visit the Santo Domingo Monastery, where these two forms of architecture are melded together with the temple of both cultures atop one another. Also, see the Cathedral in the Plaza de Armas, housing a magnificent collection of artwork, including a depiction of The Last Supper that portrays the apostles dining on cuy (guinea pig).
CATHEDRAL in the Plaza de Armas, housing a magnificent collection of artwork, including a depiction of The Last Supper that portrays the apostles dining on cuy (guinea pig). Continue to the hillside overlooking Cusco for a visit to the Temple of Sacsayhuaman. Some of the best examples of Inca masonry can be found at this fortress, where stones weighing up to 350 tons are pieced together to form a complex that could house up to 10,000 men. Learn about the ceremonies and battles that took place here, then see the ruins of Kenko and Puca Pucara before returning to Cusco.
Josa Antonio Cusco Hotel
Fly to Juliaca, then transfer to Puno on the shores of Lake Titicaca. Legend says the first Inca, Manco Capac, arose from the waters of the lake by the power of the sun god to found the Inca Empire.
Xima Puno Hotel
EXCURSION TO LAKE TITICACA
Lake Titicaca, Peru
Experience fascinating Lake Titcaca today as you embark on a motorboat tour of the highest navigable lake in the world and its man-made islands. On Taquile Island, see how the local people integrate their Inca and Spanish past. THis is evident by the Spanish peasant dresses made of Andean textiles - the islanders make some of the finest in all of Peru.
Continue to the Uros Floating Islands, a group of approximately 40 artificially made islands. Learn how the Uros Indians construct their islands, homes, boats, and many other resources completely of tortora reed, a centuries-old practice.
Enjoy a farewell dinner hosted by your Tour Director this evening.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Xima Puno Hotel
Return to Juliaca, stopping at the pre-Incan burial grounds of Sillustani en route. See the above-ground tombs, chullpas, in which the Aymara Indians buried their high priests. You will be welcomed into a local home for an inside look at life here
Later, a short flight returns you to Lima, where you will transfer to your hotel.
Jose Antonio Lima Hotel
Your vacation ends after breakfast this morning.
- 45-22 days prior to commencement of services: 20% of total price*
- 21-8 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $250 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 45 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Globus Terms & Conditions for more information.