Borneo - East Sabah Adventure
Embark on a rich vacation brimming with gorgeous scenery in Indonesia on this Borneo - East Sabah Adventure, escorted tour. Wildlife sanctuaries, multiple safaris, beautiful mountains and waterfront shopping and dining areas are among the highlights you'll discover as you visit Kota followed Kinabalu, Kundasang, Sungai Kinabatangan, Sepilok and Pulau Libaran.
Nature and animal-lovers will be thrilled with a morning river safari along with a guided tour to look for proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, macaques, and gibbons among other jungle residents. Learn about the rehabilitation practices for orangutans who were rescued after being orphaned or from illegal trade. Visit the world's smallest bears, sun bears, and learn about conservation and protection efforts for this shy species. Visit and learn about farming practices both hydroponic and traditional followed by cooking lessons with Mesilou Villagers. Join Libaran Island rangers to explore and discover more about incredible sea turtles and the threats to their existence from hunting and fishing to pollution. You may even see them laying eggs on the beach or the release of hatchlings back to the ocean. Enjoy demonstrations of making flower souvenirs from plastic bottles, try your hand at Pandanous weaving, and learn to knit fishing nets. Try a broad range of delicious local delicacies. Pick up additional souvenirs and enjoy dining options at Jesselton Point, a bustling waterfront district. Unique experiences abound on this exciting and memorable vacation.
8 Days • fr. $1,199
Tour Highlights & Offers
- G FOR GOOD MOMENT: Mesilou Village Stay, Mesilou Village
- G FOR GOOD MOMENT: Libaran Island Village Walk, Pulau Libaran
- FOODIE MOMENT: Local Farms and Cooking Class, Mesilou Village
- SAFARI: Morning and evening Kinabatangan River
- GUIDED TOUR oxbow lake visit and wildlife spotting (Kinabatangan)
- VISIT Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Center
- LEARN at Turtle hatchery
- GATHER fresh local ingredients for a cooking class
- LOOK for proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, macaques, and gibbons
- EXPLORE streets of Kota Kinabalu by night
- WITNESS Mt Kinabalu
- ENJOY traditional Sabahan dance performance
- STROLL and shop at Jesselton Point, a waterfront district
- OVERNIGHT in a tented camp
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Private vehicle, plane, boat, walking
- CEO (Chief Experience Officer) throughout, local guides
- Age requirement: 12+ All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- 7 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Dinners
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ: Allow USD$70-$95 for meals not included
- Hotel Shangri-La in Kota Kinabalu (2 nights)
- Mesilou Atamis Homestay in Kundasang (1 night)
- Borneo Natural Sukau Bilit Resort in Sungai Kinabatangan (2 nights)
- Sepilok Jungle Resort in Sepilok (1 night)
- Walai Penyu Resort in Pulau Libaran (1 night)
- ACCOMMODATION: It should be stressed that the nature of the accommodation when compared with other areas of SE Asia, is sometimes of a lower standard than normally provided on G Adventures trips. This is often due to the location and type of activities involved (ie high on a mountain and in remote jungle areas). Accommodation is always clean and usually makes up in character and location, what it might not provide in glamour and additional services.
KOTA KINTABALU Location Information Description
Kota Kintabalu, Indonesia
Arrive at any time. Meet your CEO and fellow travelers, and learn more about your tour. Opt to join the group for a local meal afterwards.
KOTA KINTABALU/KUNDASANG Location Information Description
Travel to the luscious and welcoming Mesilou Village tucked in the mountainous highlands. Stop at a local family-run farm to enjoy the views of Mt Kinabalu and see the different types of cold-climate vegetables and fruits.
Afterward, meet the villagers and get to know each other over a traditional lunch. In the afternoon, visit two local farms before learning to cook custom recipes with the community. In the evening, enjoy a sumptuous dinner followed by a traditional Sabahan dance performance.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Mesilou Atamis Homestay
KUNDASANG/SUNGAI KINABATANGAN Location Information Description
Sungai Kinabatangan, Indonesia
Travel towards Sandakan and continue to the immersive jungle lodge on Kinabatangan River, Sabah's longest.
After settling in, head out on a river cruise to experience the serenity of evening river life (keep your eyes peeled for birds and monkeys and crocodiles, oh my!). Enjoy dinner then opt for a guided night walk through the jungle.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Borneo Natural Sukau Bilit Resort
SUNGAI KINABATANGAN Location Information Description
Sungai Kinabatangan, Indonesia
Begin the day with a river safari to witness the morning wildlife activity. After breakfast, visit the nearby oxbow lake with a professional guide and seek out proboscis monkeys, pygmy elephants, macaques, and gibbons.
Enjoy another river cruise for a second chance to spot more wildlife (you never know what you may see) before returning to the lodge for dinner.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Borneo Natural Sukau Bilit Resort
SUNGAI KINABATANGAN/SEPILOK Location Information Description
Depart in the morning and travel to Sepilok - a wildlife haven. Enjoy a visit to the orangutan rehabilitation center and the adjacent sun bear conservation center.
Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation: The orangutans at the center were either rescued as orphans or from illegal domestication. Once rehabilitated, they are set free to live in the wild. Watch these creatures being fed or roaming the grounds along with other animals such as macaque monkeys.
Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre: Visit the conservation center and see the world’s smallest bear. Learn more about the sun bears and the conservation efforts being made to protect them.
Sepilok Jungle Resort
SEPILOK/PULAU LIBARAN Location Information Description
Pulau Libaran, Indonesia
Transfer to Sandakan and continue by boat to Libaran Island, also known as Turtle Island because thousands of sea turtles return to nest each year. Take a guided tour of the island's turtle hatchery and learn about the turtle conservation program.
Later, visit the local village and experience what life is like on the island. Opt to go snorkeling or kayaking with some free time.
Turtle Experience: Accompany Island rangers to learn more about these amazing creatures and the threats to their existence. Depending on the time of year, observe turtles laying their eggs on the beach, follow the park rangers as they transfer the eggs to the hatchery, or stand on the shore and witness the release of baby turtles to the open sea.
Your G for Good Moment: Libaran Island Village Walk: Visit the friendly village of Libaran Island, part of a Planeterra Foundation community development project. View demonstrations by villagers who make flower souvenirs from plastic bottles, master Pandanous weaving, and meticulously knit fishing nets. Also see how local snacks are prepared and enjoy the delicacies.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Walai Penyu Resort
PULAU LIBARAN/KOTA KINABALU Location Information Description
Kota Kinabalu, Indonesia
After breakfast, depart Libaran Island and travel back to the Sandakan jetty. From the jetty, transfer to Sandakan airport for a flight to Kota Kinabalu.
On arrival, enjoy a free afternoon to walk and shop at Jesselton Point, a waterfront district lined with shops and street food. Opt to visit the famous Filipino market or get a panoramic sunset view of Kota Kinabalu at the Signal Hill observatory.
KOTA KINABALU DEPARTURE DAY Location Information Description
Kota Kinabalu, Indonesia
Depart at any time.
- It is your responsibility to obtain information and to have in your possession all the required documentation and identification required for entry, departure and travel to each country or region. This includes a valid passport and all travel documents required by the relevant governmental authorities including all visas, permits and certificates (including but not limited to vaccination or medical certificates) and insurance policies. You must have a passport that is valid 6 months after the last date of travel with the Tour Operator as set out on your itinerary. You accept full responsibility for obtaining all such documents, visas and permits prior to the start of the Tour, and you are solely responsible for the full amount of costs incurred as a result of missing or defective documentation. You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation.
- You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation. The Tour Operator does not provide advice on travel documents and makes no representations or warrantees as to the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, or special equipment and you agree that the Tour Operator is not responsible for any errors or omissions in this information.
- Once a booking is cancelled the cancellation fees, if any, will be determined with reference to the date on which notice of cancellation is received by the Tour Operator and are expressed as a percentage of the total price paid for the cancelled Tour, product or service (excluding any insurance products).
- Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled product will be refunded.
- Cancellation received 30-59 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, and no further refund will be payable.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operation for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and no further refund will be payable.
- TAILOR MADE TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: 30% deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: An amount equal to 50% of the Tour price of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: No refund will be payable.
- CANCELLATION OF PRE AND POST CRUISE ACCOMMODATIONS, ADD-ON PACKAGES, KAYAKING AND THEME PARKS: Cancellation 60 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: All payments made to the Tour Operator will be refunded. Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: no refund is payable.
- AIRFARE: Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour.
- ALL CANCELLATIONS must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- TRIP INSURANCE: The purchase of trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- FAMILY TOURS: In order to book a Tour designated as a “Family Tour” by the Tour Operator, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a Family Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a Family Tour.
- 18-to-THIRTYSOMETHINGS TOURS: To travel on a “18-to-Thirtysomethings” Tour, you must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of first travel and comply with any other age restrictions as may be promulgated from time to time by G Adventures.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Medical Form for Expedition Tours: The Tour Operator’s Medical Form is mandatory for all Expedition Tours. You must return your Medical Form signed by a licensed and practicing physician to the Tour Operator prior to or at the time of final payment for the applicable booking.
- The Vessel used in Expedition Tours carries onboard service providers, which may include medical staff, spa personnel, or entertainers who operate as independent contractors. Their services and products are charged as Optional Extras and they contract directly with you to provide any products and services you request. Neither the Tour Operator nor the Carrier is responsible for these Optional Extras and will not be liable for the acts or omissions of these service providers.
- Shore excursions on Expedition Tours (“Shore Excursions”) are subject to their own set of terms and conditions, separate and apart from these Terms, and may be reserved after an Expedition Tour has been booked and confirmed. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit to participate in Shore Excursions.
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC JOURNEYS WITH G ADVENTURES AND NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FAMILY JOURNEYS: National Geographic Partners, LLC (for purposes of these Terms, collectively “NGP”) will provide educational enrichment as outlined in its catalog and on its website (nationalgeographicjourneys.com) and has licensed G Adventures to organize and administer National Geographic Journeys tours. The Tour Operator is solely responsible for arranging and providing all the services and accommodations offered to you in connection with the Tour.
- By booking or traveling on a Tour, you certify that you do not have any mental, physical, or other condition that would create a hazard for yourself or other participants. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right in their sole discretion to accept, decline or remove any person on a Tour. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right, without penalty, to make changes in the published itinerary whenever, in their judgment, they deem it necessary for your comfort, convenience, or safety and in accordance with these Terms.
- In order to book a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour.
- TAILORMADE TOURS: Price Validity: Upon receipt of your TailorMade booking request the Tour Operator will provide you with a quote for the chosen Tour. Prices quoted for all TailorMade Tours are valid until the date indicated on the quote, after which time the Tour Operator reserves the right to provide you with a revised quote. Any modifications to a TailorMade itinerary, including dates or number of people travelling, will be subject to a revised quote.
- ALL TOURS: Tour prices do not include international or other airfare unless expressly mentioned in the Tour’s descriptions. The Tour Operator will quote the best price available for the travel dates requested at the time the quote is prepared. Quotes provide an estimate only and are not a firm price commitment by the Tour Operator or the applicable air carrier(s).
- The Tour Operator acts only as a sales agent for the applicable air carrier and the air carrier terms and conditions apply to the purchase and use of the air travel ticket. Please consult the air carrier’s applicable terms and conditions and conditions of carriage for complete information including applicable cancellation terms. The Tour Operator is not responsible for changes in air itineraries or flight times and does not provide advice or alerts regarding air travel tickets, flight status or delays.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- You acknowledge that the nature of adventure travel requires flexibility and acknowledge that you will permit reasonable alterations to products, services or itineraries by the Tour Operator. The route, schedules, accommodations, activities, amenities and mode of transportation are subject to change without notice due to unforeseeable circumstances or events outside the control of the Tour Operator (including but not limited to Force Majeure, illness, mechanical breakdown, flight cancellations, strikes, political events and entry or border difficulties). No reimbursements, discounts or refunds will be issued for services that are missed or unused after departure due to no fault of the Tour Operator, including your removal from a Tour because of your negligence or breach of these Terms.
- The Tour Operator may modify your itinerary where reasonably required in its sole discretion. If the Tour Operator makes a change affecting at least one in three full days of the itinerary or which materially affects the character of a product or service in its entirety (a “Material Change”), the Tour Operator will provide notice to you as soon as reasonably possible, provided that there is sufficient time to do so before departure. If a Material Change is made more than 14 days before departure, you may choose to do the following:
- i) accept the Material Change and proceed with the amended product or service; ii) book another product or service of equal or greater value, if available (you will be responsible for paying any difference in price); or iii) book another product or service of lesser value, if available (with a refund payable to you for the difference in price); or iv) cancel the amended product or service and receive a full refund for the land-only portion of the applicable product or service (a refund is not available for other products or services booked which are not subject to a Material Change). You must notify the Tour Operator of your choice within 7 days of receiving notice or you will be deemed to accept the amended itinerary.
- Once a Tour has departed, itinerary changes may be necessary as a result of unforeseen circumstances, operational concerns, or concerns for your health, safety, enjoyment or comfort. Any changes are at the discretion of the Tour Operator. You acknowledge that you must have reasonable financial resources to cover incidental expenses during all travel with the Tour Operator, whether or not such expenses arise from a change of itinerary, and the Tour Operator is not liable for your failure to prepare adequately for travel and unforeseen circumstances which may arise during travel. The Tour Operator will not be liable for any indirect and or consequential losses associated with any changes to a booking or itinerary.
- Changes made by you: You are responsible for ensuring that information provided to the Tour Operator is accurate and up-to-date. Any changes to your name on any booking are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval. Any changes to a booking depend on availability and are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval and these Terms. Any extra costs incurred for making the change will be charged to you along with an administrative fee. Cancellation of any Tour, product or service included in a booking will not be considered a change for purposes of this section and will be governed by the applicable cancellation terms. No changes are permitted to any booking within 10 days of departure of the first product or service on the applicable booking.
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the G Adventures Terms & Conditions for more information.