Camino de Santiago Encompassed
Combine your faith with your loves of trekking and travel on this Camino de Santiago Encompassed tour. From Madrid to Santiago de Compostela, explore Madrid, pass through quaint medieval villages and lovely towns, visit beautiful cathedrals, chapels and churches walk through rich history and more on this incredibly meaningful journey.
In Madrid enjoy some free time to visit Palacio Real, Real Jardin Botánico or Escorial. Sip delicious sangria or check out the nightlife in Malasaña's Plaza del Dos de Mayo. In Galicia's antique hotspot, Sarria, stop in the antique fairs and pick up a souvenir or two. Along your Camino de Santiago walk, perhaps picnic in beautiful Barbadelo, Renta or Ferreiros. In Palas de Rei indulge in coffee, shopping or see Pambre Castle. In Melide, try the local specialty, octopus, in one of the many 'pulperías'. Hike across streams and follow the forest through picturesque Ribadiso to Arzúa, home of the Santa María and A Magdalena churches. Visit the chapel of Santa Irene, with its unique statue of Santiago. You'll depart Salceda early to reach Santiago de Compostela in time for the pilgrim's mass. The cathedral on the stunning Praza do Obradoiro, houses the presumed tomb of St. James the Apostle believed to have been interred here in the 1st century AD.
10 Days • fr. $1,199
Tour Highlights & Offers
- ORIENTATION walk in Madrid
- TREKKING pilgrimage route of Santiago de Compostela (5 days)
- EXPLORE Madrid's Plaza Mayor and Gran Via
- COMPLETE the pilgrim's trail and your "compostela" walk through small villages and towns
- ENJOY hearty and delicious Spanish food
- WALK into the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela
- BROWSE antique shops in Sarria
- HIKE from Sarria to Portomarín
- SEE scenic medieval village of Ribadiso
- VISIT Arzúa's churches of Santa María and A Magdalena
- EXPLORE Santiago de Compostela
- VISIT the cathedral on the magnificent Praza do Obradoiro
- Walking, local train
- CEO (Chief Experience Officer) throughout
- Age requirement: 12+ All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- 9 Breakfasts
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ: Allow USD$305-$400 for meals not included
- Hotel Europa in Madrid (2 nights)
- La Casona de Sarria in Sarria (1 night)
- Casona da Ponte in Portomarín (1 night)
- Complejo la Cabana in Palas de Rei (1 night)
- El Chiquitin in Melide (1 night)
- Pensión Domus Gallery in Arzúa (1 night)
- Amenal Hotel in Salceda (1 night)
- A Tafona do Peregrino in Santiago de Compostela (1 night)
MADRID Location Information Description
Arrive at any time. Meet your CEO and fellow travelers, and learn more about your tour. Opt to join the group for a local meal afterwards.
MADRID Location Information Description
Enjoy a short orientation walk around Madrid with a free day to explore. Opt to check out the world-famous museums, do some shopping or enjoy some fantastic food.
MADRID/SARRIA Location Information Description
Travel to the charming town of Sarria by train. Take some free time to explore before meeting up with the rest of your group. Check out an antique fair and browse the quirky furniture and historic art pieces.
La Casona de Sarria
SARRIA/PORTOMARIN Location Information Description
Hike from Sarria to Portomarín throughout the course of the day. You'll pass through many lovely towns along the way and maybe choose to have a picnic in places such as Barbadelo, Renta or Ferreiros.
Casona da Ponte
PORTOMARIN/PALAS DE REI Location Information Description
Palas de Rei, Spain
Early start from Portomarin, continue walking through fantastic scenery with a rich history en route to Palas de Ray. Weary pilgrims can get a jolt of caffeine in one of Palas de Rey's cafes or visit some of the local shops to grab some souvenirs.
Complejo la Cabana
PALAS DE RAI/MELIDE Location Information Description
Continue the pilgrimage westwards through rural Spain, walking through the lush green valleys of Galicia. Take a break in the lively market town of Melide and try octopus, Galicia's most classic dish, in one of the many 'pulperías'.
MELIDE/ARZUA Location Information Description
Follow the Camino from Melide to the village of Ribadiso and finally the town of Arzúa.
Pensión Domus Gallery
ARZUA/SALCEDA Location Information Description
The Camino walk will pass through pretty woods, sleepy villages and across streams most of the day. The chapel of Santa Irene, with its unique statue of Santiago, is worth a visit.
SALCEDA/SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA Location Information Description
Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Enjoy a final day of walking through spectacular scenery towards the final destination. You'll leave early in order to reach Santiago de Compostela in time for the pilgrim's mass. Walk the last part of the pilgrimage and enjoy the scenery before the baroque, painted towers of the cathedral come into view.
A Tafona do Peregrino
SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA Location Information Description
Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Depart at any time.
- Once a booking is cancelled the cancellation fees, if any, will be determined with reference to the date on which notice of cancellation is received by the Tour Operator and are expressed as a percentage of the total price paid for the cancelled Tour, product or service (excluding any insurance products).
- Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled product will be refunded.
- Cancellation received 30-59 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, and no further refund will be payable.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operation for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and no further refund will be payable.
- TAILOR MADE TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: 30% deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: An amount equal to 50% of the Tour price of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: No refund will be payable.
- CANCELLATION OF PRE AND POST CRUISE ACCOMMODATIONS, ADD-ON PACKAGES, KAYAKING AND THEME PARKS: Cancellation 60 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: All payments made to the Tour Operator will be refunded. Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: no refund is payable.
- AIRFARE: Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour.
- ALL CANCELLATIONS must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- TRIP INSURANCE: The purchase of trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- FAMILY TOURS: In order to book a Tour designated as a “Family Tour” by the Tour Operator, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a Family Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a Family Tour.
- 18-to-THIRTYSOMETHINGS TOURS: To travel on a “18-to-Thirtysomethings” Tour, you must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of first travel and comply with any other age restrictions as may be promulgated from time to time by G Adventures.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Medical Form for Expedition Tours: The Tour Operator’s Medical Form is mandatory for all Expedition Tours. You must return your Medical Form signed by a licensed and practicing physician to the Tour Operator prior to or at the time of final payment for the applicable booking.
- The Vessel used in Expedition Tours carries onboard service providers, which may include medical staff, spa personnel, or entertainers who operate as independent contractors. Their services and products are charged as Optional Extras and they contract directly with you to provide any products and services you request. Neither the Tour Operator nor the Carrier is responsible for these Optional Extras and will not be liable for the acts or omissions of these service providers.
- Shore excursions on Expedition Tours (“Shore Excursions”) are subject to their own set of terms and conditions, separate and apart from these Terms, and may be reserved after an Expedition Tour has been booked and confirmed. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit to participate in Shore Excursions.
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC JOURNEYS WITH G ADVENTURES AND NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FAMILY JOURNEYS: National Geographic Partners, LLC (for purposes of these Terms, collectively “NGP”) will provide educational enrichment as outlined in its catalog and on its website (nationalgeographicjourneys.com) and has licensed G Adventures to organize and administer National Geographic Journeys tours. The Tour Operator is solely responsible for arranging and providing all the services and accommodations offered to you in connection with the Tour.
- By booking or traveling on a Tour, you certify that you do not have any mental, physical, or other condition that would create a hazard for yourself or other participants. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right in their sole discretion to accept, decline or remove any person on a Tour. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right, without penalty, to make changes in the published itinerary whenever, in their judgment, they deem it necessary for your comfort, convenience, or safety and in accordance with these Terms.
- In order to book a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour.
- TAILORMADE TOURS: Price Validity: Upon receipt of your TailorMade booking request the Tour Operator will provide you with a quote for the chosen Tour. Prices quoted for all TailorMade Tours are valid until the date indicated on the quote, after which time the Tour Operator reserves the right to provide you with a revised quote. Any modifications to a TailorMade itinerary, including dates or number of people travelling, will be subject to a revised quote.
- ALL TOURS: Tour prices do not include international or other airfare unless expressly mentioned in the Tour’s descriptions. The Tour Operator will quote the best price available for the travel dates requested at the time the quote is prepared. Quotes provide an estimate only and are not a firm price commitment by the Tour Operator or the applicable air carrier(s).
- The Tour Operator acts only as a sales agent for the applicable air carrier and the air carrier terms and conditions apply to the purchase and use of the air travel ticket. Please consult the air carrier’s applicable terms and conditions and conditions of carriage for complete information including applicable cancellation terms. The Tour Operator is not responsible for changes in air itineraries or flight times and does not provide advice or alerts regarding air travel tickets, flight status or delays.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- You acknowledge that the nature of adventure travel requires flexibility and acknowledge that you will permit reasonable alterations to products, services or itineraries by the Tour Operator. The route, schedules, accommodations, activities, amenities and mode of transportation are subject to change without notice due to unforeseeable circumstances or events outside the control of the Tour Operator (including but not limited to Force Majeure, illness, mechanical breakdown, flight cancellations, strikes, political events and entry or border difficulties). No reimbursements, discounts or refunds will be issued for services that are missed or unused after departure due to no fault of the Tour Operator, including your removal from a Tour because of your negligence or breach of these Terms.
- The Tour Operator may modify your itinerary where reasonably required in its sole discretion. If the Tour Operator makes a change affecting at least one in three full days of the itinerary or which materially affects the character of a product or service in its entirety (a “Material Change”), the Tour Operator will provide notice to you as soon as reasonably possible, provided that there is sufficient time to do so before departure. If a Material Change is made more than 14 days before departure, you may choose to do the following:
- i) accept the Material Change and proceed with the amended product or service; ii) book another product or service of equal or greater value, if available (you will be responsible for paying any difference in price); or iii) book another product or service of lesser value, if available (with a refund payable to you for the difference in price); or iv) cancel the amended product or service and receive a full refund for the land-only portion of the applicable product or service (a refund is not available for other products or services booked which are not subject to a Material Change). You must notify the Tour Operator of your choice within 7 days of receiving notice or you will be deemed to accept the amended itinerary.
- Once a Tour has departed, itinerary changes may be necessary as a result of unforeseen circumstances, operational concerns, or concerns for your health, safety, enjoyment or comfort. Any changes are at the discretion of the Tour Operator. You acknowledge that you must have reasonable financial resources to cover incidental expenses during all travel with the Tour Operator, whether or not such expenses arise from a change of itinerary, and the Tour Operator is not liable for your failure to prepare adequately for travel and unforeseen circumstances which may arise during travel. The Tour Operator will not be liable for any indirect and or consequential losses associated with any changes to a booking or itinerary.
- Changes made by you: You are responsible for ensuring that information provided to the Tour Operator is accurate and up-to-date. Any changes to your name on any booking are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval. Any changes to a booking depend on availability and are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval and these Terms. Any extra costs incurred for making the change will be charged to you along with an administrative fee. Cancellation of any Tour, product or service included in a booking will not be considered a change for purposes of this section and will be governed by the applicable cancellation terms. No changes are permitted to any booking within 10 days of departure of the first product or service on the applicable booking.
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the G Adventures Terms & Conditions for more information.