National Geographic Journeys
Explore a captivating country of contrasts on a Discover India, escorted tour. This journey reveals rich history, architecture, cultures, wildlife and more. You'll travel between Delhi, Varanasi, Lucknow, Agra, Ranthambore National Park, Jaipur, Jojawar and Udaipur experiencing the best of each region.
Begin your adventure with an airport transfer by women employed by a group providing dignified jobs for them. In Varanasi, learn about the spiritual and social significance of the Ganges River while sitting on steps located along its banks. Rickshaw through Old Delhi to see 17th-century Jama Masjid. Sample sweets, curries, breads and kabobs on a delicious food walk in Lucknow with a specialist and see "Bawarchi Tola” at work in their street kitchens. Take a guided tour of the exquisite Taj Majal. Enjoy morning and evening safaris to seek out monkeys, deer, sloth bears, leopards, and, perhaps, elusive Bengal tigers. See Trinetra Ganesha Temple, dedicated to the elephant-headed Hindu god. In the "pink city," Jaipur, visit Amber Fort and the royal observatory, Jantar Mantar. Join a family for a cooking lesson and dinner in their home. Stroll the bazaars of lovely Udaipur and sail along Lake Pichola admiring the Raj-era palaces including the Lake Palace. Unwind after an active day with a yoga class.
15 Days • fr. $3,299
Tour Highlights & Offers
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Ganges River Talk, Varanasi
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Lucknow Local Food Walk, Lucknow
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Family Culinary Experience, Jaipur
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Doongariya khurd Village Experience, Pushkar
- G FOR GOOD MOMENT: Women With Wheels Transfer, Indira Gandhi International Airport
- G FOR GOOD MOMENT: City Walk, Delhi
- WELLNESS MOMENT: Yoga Class, Udaipur
- RIDE Rickshaw tour of Old Delhi
- ORIENTATION WALK of Varanasi and Pushkar
- SAIL Sunset and sunrise boat trips on Ganges River
- VISIT Bara Imambara
- TOUR the Taj Mahal
- GUIDED safari drive
- EXCURSION to Sarnath
- EXPLORE Lucknow
- VISIT Ranthambore Fort and the Ganesh temple
- GUIDED TOUR Jaipur and Udaipur
- VISIT Amber Fort
- EXPERIENCE village life near holy town of Pushkar
- GAIN INSIGHT from a local historian and scholar
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Minibus, train, auto-rickshaws, cycle-rickshaws, boat, plane, walking
- Internal flights
- CEO (Chief Experience Officer) throughout, local guides
- Age requirement: 12+ All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- 14 Breakfasts, 5 Dinners
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ: Allow USD$305-$400 for meals not included
- Hotel Justa Panchsheel in Delhi (3 nights)
- Hotel Surya in Varanasi (2 nights)
- Hotel Golden Tulip Lucknow in Lucknow (1 night)
- The Retreat in Agra (1 night)
- Pug Mark in Ranthambore (2 nights)
- Hotel Madhuban in Jaipur (2 nights)
- Hotel Rawla Jojawar in Jojawar (1 night)
- The Lavitra Udaipur in Udaipur (2 nights)
DELHI Location Information Description
Arrive at any time; your arrival transfer is included through Women With Wheels, a G Adventures–supported project.
There are no planned activities until the evening welcome meeting. Feel free to explore before your welcome meeting. The adventure begins tonight. After introductions, your CEO will review the details of your tour.
Hotel Justa Panchsheel
DELHI Location Information Description
Set out to discover Delhi, the capital of India, which consists of two cities: historic Delhi and New Delhi, built by the British in the early 20th century. Explore New Delhi’s lively Paharganj district with a youth guide from the G Adventures–supported City Walk project, and hear about how the program provides opportunities to disadvantaged street youth.
Then delve into the narrow, winding lanes of Old Delhi on a rickshaw, visiting the 17th-century Jama Masjid—the largest mosque in India—and the Sikh temple Gurdwara Sis Ganj Sahib.
Hotel Justa Panchsheel
DELHI/VARANASI Location Information Description
Fly to ancient Varanasi, one of Hinduism’s holiest cities, located on the banks of the Ganges River. Sit down at one of the picturesque ghats or steps that run along the river and enjoy a talk by a local scholar about Varanasi’s spiritual and social significance.
Later, embark on a boat ride on the sacred Ganges, where more than a million pilgrims come each year to purify themselves and perform funeral rites for loved ones. Observe the evening aarti or prayer ceremony, and join pilgrims as they float candles and flower offerings down the river.
VARANASI Location Information Description
Rise early to catch the sunrise over the Ganges on a boat cruise, and witness the morning rituals and prayers that take place along the river.
This afternoon, visit the Sarnath archaeological site, set in the middle of a vast park, where Gautama Buddha is believed to have delivered his first sermon.
VARANASI/LUCKNOW Location Information Description
Travel to Lucknow, the former capital of the Muslim nawabs of Oudh, who were known as great patrons of art, architecture, dance, and music. Explore the imposing Bara Imbambara complex, an 18th-century Shia Muslim shrine which includes a mosque, a grand hall, ornate courtyards, and gateways.
Then set out on a food tour of Lucknow with an expert local guide, sampling dishes that were developed for the royal family and delectable street eats—from spicy kebabs to a variety of curries, breads, and sweets.
Hotel Golden Tulip Lucknow
LUCKNOW/AGRA Location Information Description
Travel by private bus to Agra, a former capital of the Delhi sultanate as well as the Mughal Empire. Settle into your hotel and spend the evening at leisure.
TBD-WAITING FOR REPLY
AGRA/RANTHAMBORE NATIONAL PARK Location Information Description
This morning, visit the magnificent Taj Mahal, one of the New Seven Wonders of the World. Considered the finest example of Mughal architecture, this iconic mausoleum was built by the Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal.
Location Information Description
Ranthambore National Park, India
Later, travel to Ranthambore National Park—the fabled wildlife reserve that is said to have inspired Rudyard Kipling’s The Jungle Book.
RANTHAMBORE NATIONAL PARK Location Information Description
Ranthambore National Park, India
Spend the day exploring Ranthambore National Park, which once served as the private hunting ground of the maharajas of Jaipur. Set out on morning and evening safaris with local rangers in search of monkeys, deer, sloth bears, leopards, and, if we're lucky, the elusive Bengal tiger.
Wander amid the ruins of the 10th-century Ranthambore Fort and visit the Trinetra Ganesha Temple, dedicated to the elephant-headed Hindu god Ganesha.
RANTHAMBORE NATIONAL PARK/JAIPUR Location Information Description
After breakfast, drive to Jaipur, the capital of the state of Rajasthan, which boasts beautiful palaces and temples and many atmospheric markets. Spend the evening at leisure. India's "Pink City," also known as Jaipur, was founded in 1728, and has the distinction of being one of the best-planned pre-modern cities.
JAIPUR Location Information Description
Explore Jaipur, known as the “Pink City” for its rose-coloured buildings. Take a tour of the sprawling Amber Fort, the former residence of Jaipur’s Rajput rulers; and visit Hawa Mahal, or the Palace of Winds, a stunning five-story sandstone building with distinctive honeycombed windows.
Discover the rich collections of the City Palace museum, and stop by the 18th-century royal observatory known as Jantar Mantar. This evening, enjoy a culinary experience with a local family, including a visit to a market and a cooking demonstration and meal in their home.
JAIPUR/DOONGARIYA KHURD (PUSHKAR AREA) Location Information Description
Travel to the Hindu pilgrimage site of Pushkar, a holy lake ringed by stone ghats, or steps, that lead into its sacred waters. Take an orientation walk along the spectacular lakefront to the 14th-century Brahma Temple.
Location Information Description
Continue to Dungriya Khurd Village, where we will spend the night in a luxurious resort camp. Glimpse rural Rajasthani life as we chat with villagers as they go about their daily tasks. During an immersive dining experience this evening, sample traditional rural cuisine, learn local customs, and gain insights about sociopolitical influences here.
Hotel Rawla Jojawar
DOONGARIYA KHURD/UDAIPUR Location Information Description
Today, you'll make your way to Udaipur, dubbed the City of Lakes. Take an orientation walk through the timeless streets and bustling bazaars of this romantic city; then hop on a boat to explore Lake Pichola, taking in stunning views of the marble palaces which appear to float above the tranquil waters.
The Lavitra Udaipur
Udaipur Location Information Description
Set out to discover Udaipur, once the capital of a princely state. Visit the exquisite City Palace—the largest palace complex in Rajasthan—to get a glimpse of how the royal family used to live; and step into Jagdish Temple, which pays homage to the Hindu god Vishnu. This evening, stretch out at a relaxing yoga class.
The Lavitra Udaipur
Udaipur/Delhi Location Information Description
Fly to Delhi for your final evening in India, and opt to join your group for a farewell dinner.
Hotel Justa Panchsheel
DELHI Location Information Description
Depart at any time.
- Traveling in India by train is an experience. Distances in India are long and the trains aren't the worlds best, but traveling by rail adds a fascinating new dimension to a visitor's experience in the country. There is virtually no better way to make friends with the people and see the spectacular views of the diverse Indian countryside. The chaos on the Indian Railway stations is a replica of life in India. We use AC Chair car for day journeys on this trip. There are no restaurant or buffet cars on Indian Railways, but on long distance trains an attendant will appear in your coach and ask you if you would like to order food. Regular stops are made at stations where food is also available and on some trains many vendors board the train selling chai, cold drinks and crisps and biscuits. Don't expect pristine western standards anywhere in India, but you'll find and AC Chair class fairly clean by Indian standards, with both western-style and squat toilets usually in a reasonably sanitary condition. Indian
- Road travel in India is certainly not what people are used to in Western countries. Rules are not always followed, drivers appear to speed, do not stay in their lanes, overtake in seemingly dangerous situations, and rarely use their mirrors or driving lights at night. The horn however is used frequently and can range from the latest Bollywood tune to Britney Spears! Although the government is investing large sums of money to improve the road infrastructure, there is a lot more to be done. As a result some of the roads are poorly maintained, pot holed and uneven. This gets even more pronounced particularly during and after the monsoon. Travel time is very long in comparison to Western countries and short distances can take much longer than at home. You have the comfort of an air-conditioned Private vehicle, but be prepared to take an odd ride in a local transport for the experience.
- CULTURE India is a country which is very different to anything you will have experienced before. Although this means it is not the easiest place to travel, this is also what makes it so special. Pollution, poverty and the crowds can result in initial culture shock but should be seen as an exciting new challenge. During our time here we have come to love this large and wonderfully different country but we know that we should always expect to encounter some difficulties along the way. In India there are very different attitudes to time keeping, public cleanliness, privacy and service. Trains will sometimes be late, plumbing can sometimes be temperamental and power will often just vanish. Optimistic menus turn out to have only one dish available and everyone, just everyone, will want to know your name. If you are able to travel with a lot of patience and a healthy sense of humor, then we know that you - like all of us - will be captivated by what India has to offer.
- ALL guests must carefully verify the existing identification requirements for their particular travel situation DIRECTLY WITH THEIR LOCAL CONSULATES OR EMBASSIES or with a visa service, as these requirements may change. Guests without proper documentation may be denied entry and will not be entitled to a refund.
- It is your responsibility to obtain information and to have in your possession all the required documentation and identification required for entry, departure and travel to each country or region. This includes a valid passport and all travel documents required by the relevant governmental authorities including all visas, permits and certificates (including but not limited to vaccination or medical certificates) and insurance policies. You must have a passport that is valid 6 months after the last date of travel with the Tour Operator as set out on your itinerary. You accept full responsibility for obtaining all such documents, visas and permits prior to the start of the Tour, and you are solely responsible for the full amount of costs incurred as a result of missing or defective documentation. You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation.
- You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation. The Tour Operator does not provide advice on travel documents and makes no representations or warrantees as to the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, or special equipment and you agree that the Tour Operator is not responsible for any errors or omissions in this information.
- Once a booking is cancelled the cancellation fees, if any, will be determined with reference to the date on which notice of cancellation is received by the Tour Operator and are expressed as a percentage of the total price paid for the cancelled Tour, product or service (excluding any insurance products).
- Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled product will be refunded.
- Cancellation received 30-59 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, and no further refund will be payable.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operation for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and no further refund will be payable.
- TAILOR MADE TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: 30% deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: An amount equal to 50% of the Tour price of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: No refund will be payable.
- CANCELLATION OF PRE AND POST CRUISE ACCOMMODATIONS, ADD-ON PACKAGES, KAYAKING AND THEME PARKS: Cancellation 60 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: All payments made to the Tour Operator will be refunded. Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: no refund is payable.
- AIRFARE: Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour.
- ALL CANCELLATIONS must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- TRIP INSURANCE: The purchase of trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- FAMILY TOURS: In order to book a Tour designated as a “Family Tour” by the Tour Operator, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a Family Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a Family Tour.
- 18-to-THIRTYSOMETHINGS TOURS: To travel on a “18-to-Thirtysomethings” Tour, you must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of first travel and comply with any other age restrictions as may be promulgated from time to time by G Adventures.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Medical Form for Expedition Tours: The Tour Operator’s Medical Form is mandatory for all Expedition Tours. You must return your Medical Form signed by a licensed and practicing physician to the Tour Operator prior to or at the time of final payment for the applicable booking.
- The Vessel used in Expedition Tours carries onboard service providers, which may include medical staff, spa personnel, or entertainers who operate as independent contractors. Their services and products are charged as Optional Extras and they contract directly with you to provide any products and services you request. Neither the Tour Operator nor the Carrier is responsible for these Optional Extras and will not be liable for the acts or omissions of these service providers.
- Shore excursions on Expedition Tours (“Shore Excursions”) are subject to their own set of terms and conditions, separate and apart from these Terms, and may be reserved after an Expedition Tour has been booked and confirmed. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit to participate in Shore Excursions.
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC JOURNEYS WITH G ADVENTURES AND NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FAMILY JOURNEYS: National Geographic Partners, LLC (for purposes of these Terms, collectively “NGP”) will provide educational enrichment as outlined in its catalog and on its website (nationalgeographicjourneys.com) and has licensed G Adventures to organize and administer National Geographic Journeys tours. The Tour Operator is solely responsible for arranging and providing all the services and accommodations offered to you in connection with the Tour.
- By booking or traveling on a Tour, you certify that you do not have any mental, physical, or other condition that would create a hazard for yourself or other participants. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right in their sole discretion to accept, decline or remove any person on a Tour. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right, without penalty, to make changes in the published itinerary whenever, in their judgment, they deem it necessary for your comfort, convenience, or safety and in accordance with these Terms.
- In order to book a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour.
- TAILORMADE TOURS: Price Validity: Upon receipt of your TailorMade booking request the Tour Operator will provide you with a quote for the chosen Tour. Prices quoted for all TailorMade Tours are valid until the date indicated on the quote, after which time the Tour Operator reserves the right to provide you with a revised quote. Any modifications to a TailorMade itinerary, including dates or number of people travelling, will be subject to a revised quote.
- ALL TOURS: Tour prices do not include international or other airfare unless expressly mentioned in the Tour’s descriptions. The Tour Operator will quote the best price available for the travel dates requested at the time the quote is prepared. Quotes provide an estimate only and are not a firm price commitment by the Tour Operator or the applicable air carrier(s).
- The Tour Operator acts only as a sales agent for the applicable air carrier and the air carrier terms and conditions apply to the purchase and use of the air travel ticket. Please consult the air carrier’s applicable terms and conditions and conditions of carriage for complete information including applicable cancellation terms. The Tour Operator is not responsible for changes in air itineraries or flight times and does not provide advice or alerts regarding air travel tickets, flight status or delays.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- You acknowledge that the nature of adventure travel requires flexibility and acknowledge that you will permit reasonable alterations to products, services or itineraries by the Tour Operator. The route, schedules, accommodations, activities, amenities and mode of transportation are subject to change without notice due to unforeseeable circumstances or events outside the control of the Tour Operator (including but not limited to Force Majeure, illness, mechanical breakdown, flight cancellations, strikes, political events and entry or border difficulties). No reimbursements, discounts or refunds will be issued for services that are missed or unused after departure due to no fault of the Tour Operator, including your removal from a Tour because of your negligence or breach of these Terms.
- The Tour Operator may modify your itinerary where reasonably required in its sole discretion. If the Tour Operator makes a change affecting at least one in three full days of the itinerary or which materially affects the character of a product or service in its entirety (a “Material Change”), the Tour Operator will provide notice to you as soon as reasonably possible, provided that there is sufficient time to do so before departure. If a Material Change is made more than 14 days before departure, you may choose to do the following:
- i) accept the Material Change and proceed with the amended product or service; ii) book another product or service of equal or greater value, if available (you will be responsible for paying any difference in price); or iii) book another product or service of lesser value, if available (with a refund payable to you for the difference in price); or iv) cancel the amended product or service and receive a full refund for the land-only portion of the applicable product or service (a refund is not available for other products or services booked which are not subject to a Material Change). You must notify the Tour Operator of your choice within 7 days of receiving notice or you will be deemed to accept the amended itinerary.
- Once a Tour has departed, itinerary changes may be necessary as a result of unforeseen circumstances, operational concerns, or concerns for your health, safety, enjoyment or comfort. Any changes are at the discretion of the Tour Operator. You acknowledge that you must have reasonable financial resources to cover incidental expenses during all travel with the Tour Operator, whether or not such expenses arise from a change of itinerary, and the Tour Operator is not liable for your failure to prepare adequately for travel and unforeseen circumstances which may arise during travel. The Tour Operator will not be liable for any indirect and or consequential losses associated with any changes to a booking or itinerary.
- Changes made by you: You are responsible for ensuring that information provided to the Tour Operator is accurate and up-to-date. Any changes to your name on any booking are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval. Any changes to a booking depend on availability and are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval and these Terms. Any extra costs incurred for making the change will be charged to you along with an administrative fee. Cancellation of any Tour, product or service included in a booking will not be considered a change for purposes of this section and will be governed by the applicable cancellation terms. No changes are permitted to any booking within 10 days of departure of the first product or service on the applicable booking.
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the G Adventures Terms & Conditions for more information.