Discover The Balkans
National Geographic Journeys
The Balkan Peninsula and Dalmation Coast brims with wonders, see for yourself on a Discover The Balkans, tour. Witness fascinating and beautiful highlights as you travel in Croatia along with Bosnia and Herzegovina. Visit Diocletian's Palace, Plitvice Lakes National Park, famed Stari Most, the Tunnel of Hope and more.
Plitvice Lakes National Park is a breathtaking destination and must see when on a vacation in Croatia. Join a local guide and learn about the diverse wildlife, unique bird population and admire the terraced lakes and waterfalls. Enjoy an escorted tour of Diocletian Palace getting a glimpse back at Roman history. A local expert, who lived through the Siege of Sarajevo, provides insight and perspective on this tragic period and the city's push forward including Tunnel of Hope and Trebevic Mountain. Join your CEO for a market tour and lunch. Enjoy some free time in Kotor, there is much to see in this relaxed city and your CEO has fantastic recommendations. An idyllic setting for lunch is surrounded by Mediterranean gardens and sweeping views of the Adriatic Sea at a family-run agroturizam villa. In Dubrovnik, learn about a women's non-profit, founded to empower women in the area. You will also have ample free time to roam delightful Dubrovnik independently.
12 Days • fr. $3,799
Tour Highlights & Offers
- G FOR GOOD MOMENT: DEŠA Women's Centre Visit, Dubrovnik
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Siege of Sarajevo Tour, Sarajevo
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Agroturizam Experience, Dubrovnik
- ENJOY Traditional Peka Dinner, Zagreb
- EXPLORE Plitviče Lakes National Park
- ORIENTATION walk Split, Kotor and Dubrovnik
- SEE Diocletian's Palace
- VISIT the Stari Most (Old Bridge) in Mostar
- GUIDED TOUR of the "Tunnel of Life" in Sarajevo
- TOUR Sarajevo with a local war historian
- VISIT Latin Bridge, assassination site of Archduke of the Austro Hungarian Empire, Franz Ferdinand setting off World War I
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Private minivan, walking, bus, boat
- CEO (Chief Experience Officer) throughout, local guides.
- AGE REQUIREMENT: 12+: All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- 11 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 1 Dinner
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ: Allow USD$455-$595 for meals not included
- Hotel Jadran in Zagreb, Croatia (1 night)
- Big House Hotel Plitvička Jezera in Ličko Petrovo Selo, Croatia (1 night)
- Corner Hotel in Split, Croatia (2 nights)
- Bosnia Hotel Sarajevo in Sarajevo, Bosnia (3 nights)
- Hotel Porto In in Kotor, Montenegro (2 nights)
- Hotel Adria in Dubrovnik, Croatia (2 nights)
ZAGREB Location Information Description
Arrive at any time. Please make your own way to the joining hotel. Feel free to explore before your welcome meeting, but make sure you’re back in time to meet the group. After the meeting, opt to head out for a meal in a local restaurant to get to know your CEO and traveling companions. After introductions, your CEO will review the details of your tour. Zagreb is the capital of Croatia and has a very charming old city, complete with cobblestone streets and medieval buildings. Be sure to sample some of the delicious local food and drink. There are also a number of museums to explore focusing on art, history, and archaeology. After the meeting, opt to head out for a meal in a local restaurant to get to know your CEO and traveling companions.
ZAGREB/PLITVICE LAKES NATIONAL PARK Location Information Description
Plitvice Lakes National Park, Croatia
Enjoy an excursion to Plitviče Lakes National Park with a local guide and learn about the diverse wildlife and unique bird population. Entrance to the park is included and there are many opportunities for walking and relaxing in one of Croatia's most famed wonders.
This evening, enjoy a traditional peka (baked vegetable and meat dish) dinner cooked on hot coals. Indulge in Dalmatia's signature dish, Peka: a blend of meat, vegetables and herbs cooked over the embers of a fire. Meat doesn't get much more tender than this!
Big House Hotel Plitvicka Jezera
PLITVICE LAKES NATIONAL PARK/SPLIT Location Information Description
Continue on to Split. In the early evening, take a guided walk around the Diocletian Palace, one of the most imposing Roman ruins in Europe. It took over 10 years to construct and is built of white stone imported from the island of Brač. Visiting this UNESCO World Heritage site is a perfect way to learn more about the history of Split.
SPLIT Location Information Description
Enjoy free time to explore this charming seaside town. Opt to visit the local market and gobble up some Croatian delicacies. For a little more activity, visit Marjan's peak, with gorgeous views over the city, or hit up some of the hiking and biking trails in the area.
SPLIT/SARAJEVO Location Information Description
Travel to Mostar. Walk in the ancient town, visiting the famed Stari Most (Old Bridge). Visit the city's symbol; a beautiful, reconstructed Ottoman-style bridge. The bridge was constructed in the 1600s and was meticulously rebuilt after its destruction during the war. It's a reminder of the tenacity of the Bosnians and is a gorgeous sight to behold. Wait at the bottom for daredevils to dive into the icy river below.
Location Information Description
Continue to Sarajevo for the evening.
Bosnia Hotel Sarajevo
SARAJEVO Location Information Description
Learn about the Siege of Sarajevo from a local expert who lived through it. Visit the Tunnel of Hope, War Tunnel Museum and Trebević Mountain, and gain insight into how the people of this city moved beyond conflict. After, visit a market and enjoy a local lunch with your CEO.
Bosnia Hotel Sarajevo
SARAJEVO Location Information Description
Enjoy a free day to explore at your leisure. Walk around the cobblestone streets of the Old Town (Stari Grad) while taking in the architecture of diverse places of worship. This is also a great place to shop and visit markets. The Latin Bridge is worth a visit as it played an important role in the history of this area. This is the site where the Archduke of the Austro Hungarian Empire, Franz Ferdinand, was assassinated, leading to the beginning of World War I.
Bosnia Hotel Sarajevo
SARAJEVO/KOTOR Location Information Description
Cross over to Montenegro for two days on the Bay of Kotor. Opt to visit the Roman mosaics in Risan, take a leisurely stroll in Perast and the islands, or go sea kayaking in the spectacular bay. Continue to Montenegro and travel to the Bay of Kotor, a region that is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Hotel Porto In
KOTOR Location Information Description
Enjoy a free day to explore. Opt to visit the Risan Roman mosaics and take a leisurely stroll in Perast and the islands, or go sea kayaking. If relaxing is more your style, the beaches of Herceg Novi offer a great escape. There are also local mud therapy spas nearby to test the natural healing properties of the area's sand.
Hotel Porto In
KOTOR/DUBROVNIK Location Information Description
Visit a family-run agroturizam villa surrounded by Mediterranean gardens and sweeping views of the Adriatic. Meet our local host then enjoy a traditional lunch of local ham, cheeses, and wine.
Location Information Description
Cross into Croatia and travel to Dubrovnik, known as the "Pearl of the Adriatic." Set on the Dalmatian coast, Dubrovnik has been an important maritime town in the region for centuries. Surrounded by medieval walls, it is rich in history and is a beautiful city to explore, filled with stunning architecture, museums, and fountains.
In Dubrovnik, walk the old city walls. Also visit G Adventures supported DEŠA, a women's non-profit, founded to empower women in the area. Learn about their work to preserve traditional foods, handicrafts and local business.
Hotel Adria Dubrovnik
DUBROVNIK Location Information Description
Enjoy a free day to explore the old town fortifications or take a boat trip to one of the nearby islands. The red roofs of the old city make for spectacular photos, and the seaside cafés serve up delicious seafood.
Hotel Adria Dubrovnik
DUBROVNIK Location Information Description
Depart at any time.
- ALL guests must carefully verify the existing identification requirements for their particular travel situation DIRECTLY WITH THEIR LOCAL CONSULATES OR EMBASSIES or with a visa service, as these requirements may change. Guests without proper documentation may be denied entry and will not be entitled to a refund.
- It is your responsibility to obtain information and to have in your possession all the required documentation and identification required for entry, departure and travel to each country or region. This includes a valid passport and all travel documents required by the relevant governmental authorities including all visas, permits and certificates (including but not limited to vaccination or medical certificates) and insurance policies. You must have a passport that is valid 6 months after the last date of travel with the Tour Operator as set out on your itinerary. You accept full responsibility for obtaining all such documents, visas and permits prior to the start of the Tour, and you are solely responsible for the full amount of costs incurred as a result of missing or defective documentation. You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation.
- You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation. The Tour Operator does not provide advice on travel documents and makes no representations or warrantees as to the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, or special equipment and you agree that the Tour Operator is not responsible for any errors or omissions in this information.
- Once a booking is cancelled the cancellation fees, if any, will be determined with reference to the date on which notice of cancellation is received by the Tour Operator and are expressed as a percentage of the total price paid for the cancelled Tour, product or service (excluding any insurance products).
- Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled product will be refunded.
- Cancellation received 30-59 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, and no further refund will be payable.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operation for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and no further refund will be payable.
- TAILOR MADE TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: 30% deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: An amount equal to 50% of the Tour price of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: No refund will be payable.
- CANCELLATION OF PRE AND POST CRUISE ACCOMMODATIONS, ADD-ON PACKAGES, KAYAKING AND THEME PARKS: Cancellation 60 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: All payments made to the Tour Operator will be refunded. Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: no refund is payable.
- AIRFARE: Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour.
- ALL CANCELLATIONS must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- TRIP INSURANCE: The purchase of trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- FAMILY TOURS: In order to book a Tour designated as a “Family Tour” by the Tour Operator, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a Family Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a Family Tour.
- 18-to-THIRTYSOMETHINGS TOURS: To travel on a “18-to-Thirtysomethings” Tour, you must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of first travel and comply with any other age restrictions as may be promulgated from time to time by G Adventures.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Medical Form for Expedition Tours: The Tour Operator’s Medical Form is mandatory for all Expedition Tours. You must return your Medical Form signed by a licensed and practicing physician to the Tour Operator prior to or at the time of final payment for the applicable booking.
- The Vessel used in Expedition Tours carries onboard service providers, which may include medical staff, spa personnel, or entertainers who operate as independent contractors. Their services and products are charged as Optional Extras and they contract directly with you to provide any products and services you request. Neither the Tour Operator nor the Carrier is responsible for these Optional Extras and will not be liable for the acts or omissions of these service providers.
- Shore excursions on Expedition Tours (“Shore Excursions”) are subject to their own set of terms and conditions, separate and apart from these Terms, and may be reserved after an Expedition Tour has been booked and confirmed. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit to participate in Shore Excursions.
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC JOURNEYS WITH G ADVENTURES AND NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FAMILY JOURNEYS: National Geographic Partners, LLC (for purposes of these Terms, collectively “NGP”) will provide educational enrichment as outlined in its catalog and on its website (nationalgeographicjourneys.com) and has licensed G Adventures to organize and administer National Geographic Journeys tours. The Tour Operator is solely responsible for arranging and providing all the services and accommodations offered to you in connection with the Tour.
- By booking or traveling on a Tour, you certify that you do not have any mental, physical, or other condition that would create a hazard for yourself or other participants. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right in their sole discretion to accept, decline or remove any person on a Tour. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right, without penalty, to make changes in the published itinerary whenever, in their judgment, they deem it necessary for your comfort, convenience, or safety and in accordance with these Terms.
- In order to book a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour.
- TAILORMADE TOURS: Price Validity: Upon receipt of your TailorMade booking request the Tour Operator will provide you with a quote for the chosen Tour. Prices quoted for all TailorMade Tours are valid until the date indicated on the quote, after which time the Tour Operator reserves the right to provide you with a revised quote. Any modifications to a TailorMade itinerary, including dates or number of people travelling, will be subject to a revised quote.
- ALL TOURS: Tour prices do not include international or other airfare unless expressly mentioned in the Tour’s descriptions. The Tour Operator will quote the best price available for the travel dates requested at the time the quote is prepared. Quotes provide an estimate only and are not a firm price commitment by the Tour Operator or the applicable air carrier(s).
- The Tour Operator acts only as a sales agent for the applicable air carrier and the air carrier terms and conditions apply to the purchase and use of the air travel ticket. Please consult the air carrier’s applicable terms and conditions and conditions of carriage for complete information including applicable cancellation terms. The Tour Operator is not responsible for changes in air itineraries or flight times and does not provide advice or alerts regarding air travel tickets, flight status or delays.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- You acknowledge that the nature of adventure travel requires flexibility and acknowledge that you will permit reasonable alterations to products, services or itineraries by the Tour Operator. The route, schedules, accommodations, activities, amenities and mode of transportation are subject to change without notice due to unforeseeable circumstances or events outside the control of the Tour Operator (including but not limited to Force Majeure, illness, mechanical breakdown, flight cancellations, strikes, political events and entry or border difficulties). No reimbursements, discounts or refunds will be issued for services that are missed or unused after departure due to no fault of the Tour Operator, including your removal from a Tour because of your negligence or breach of these Terms.
- The Tour Operator may modify your itinerary where reasonably required in its sole discretion. If the Tour Operator makes a change affecting at least one in three full days of the itinerary or which materially affects the character of a product or service in its entirety (a “Material Change”), the Tour Operator will provide notice to you as soon as reasonably possible, provided that there is sufficient time to do so before departure. If a Material Change is made more than 14 days before departure, you may choose to do the following:
- i) accept the Material Change and proceed with the amended product or service; ii) book another product or service of equal or greater value, if available (you will be responsible for paying any difference in price); or iii) book another product or service of lesser value, if available (with a refund payable to you for the difference in price); or iv) cancel the amended product or service and receive a full refund for the land-only portion of the applicable product or service (a refund is not available for other products or services booked which are not subject to a Material Change). You must notify the Tour Operator of your choice within 7 days of receiving notice or you will be deemed to accept the amended itinerary.
- Once a Tour has departed, itinerary changes may be necessary as a result of unforeseen circumstances, operational concerns, or concerns for your health, safety, enjoyment or comfort. Any changes are at the discretion of the Tour Operator. You acknowledge that you must have reasonable financial resources to cover incidental expenses during all travel with the Tour Operator, whether or not such expenses arise from a change of itinerary, and the Tour Operator is not liable for your failure to prepare adequately for travel and unforeseen circumstances which may arise during travel. The Tour Operator will not be liable for any indirect and or consequential losses associated with any changes to a booking or itinerary.
- Changes made by you: You are responsible for ensuring that information provided to the Tour Operator is accurate and up-to-date. Any changes to your name on any booking are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval. Any changes to a booking depend on availability and are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval and these Terms. Any extra costs incurred for making the change will be charged to you along with an administrative fee. Cancellation of any Tour, product or service included in a booking will not be considered a change for purposes of this section and will be governed by the applicable cancellation terms. No changes are permitted to any booking within 10 days of departure of the first product or service on the applicable booking.
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the G Adventures Terms & Conditions for more information.