Iceland Family Journey: Geysers, Glaciers & Fjords
National Geographic Family Journeys
Traveling with kids is easy and fun on this Iceland Family Journey: Geysers, Glaciers & Fjords, escorted tours. Journey from Reykjavik to see the spectacular scenery in the Golden Circle, including a stop in a cave behind the veil of spectacular Seljalandsfoss waterfall. Learn about Vikings, see a traditional turf house and meet Icelandic horses among other highpoints.
Planning a family vacation is easy when there are so many activities for all ages. See the fascinating split in the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates in Thingvellir National Park. Soak in the soothing iridescent blue geothermal hot springs at Blue Lagoon. Keep your eyes peeled for precious puffins, orcas and other wildlife as you visit the volcanic Westman Islands and unique black sand beaches. Delve into Viking history and picnic near the base of a thundering waterfall watching the rainbows appearing in the mist. Enjoy time learning about and getting to meet social Icelandic horses on a working farm followed by a delicious lunch. Try Iceland's version of a good old American favorite, the hot dog and taste the differences. So many unique experiences await your family on this adventure where it's fun to travel with kids.
8 Days • fr. $4,699
Tour Highlights & Offers
- FAMILY JOURNEYS MOMENT: Horse Farm Visit, Hveragerði
- FAMILY JOURNEYS MOMENT: Skogar Open Air Museum, Hveragerði
- FOODIE MOMENT: Geothermal Bakery Visit, Laugarvatn
- WELLNESS MOMENT: Blue Lagoon Visit, Grindavík
- TOUR Perlan Museum
- CRUISE Whale watching tour
- DESCEND into a Lava tunnel
- EXPLORE Golden Circle including Thingvellir National Park, Gulfoss waterfall and Geysir Hot Springs
- PICNIC LUNCH at Skogafoss waterfall
- VISIT Black Sand Beach
- GUIDED TOUR Westman Islands
- STOP AT Blue Lagoon
- SEE Seljalandsfoss waterfall
- SOAK in steaming hot springs
- DELVE INTO Viking realms on a visit to a traditional turf house
- WHALE-WATCHING excursion to look for minke and humpback whales
- TASTE traditional Icelandic bread fresh from a geothermal bakery
- STEP behind the curtain of a spectacular waterfall
- HIKE to the edge of a volcanic crater
- WITNESS glacial landscapes
- MARVEL at the tectonic faults in Thingvellir National Park, a UNESCO world heritage site
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Private vehicle, antique WWII vehicle, canoe, walking
- 2 CEOs (Chief Experience Officers) throughout, local guides
- AGE REQUIREMENT: 7+ All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- 7 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 1 Dinner
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ: Allow USD$360-$470 for meals not included
- Hótel Klettur in Reykjavík (3 nights)
- Hótel Örk Selfoss in Hveragerði (2 nights)
- Hótel Dyrhólaey in Vík (2 nights)
REYKJAVÍK Location Information Description
Arrive in time to meet your fellow travelers for a welcome gathering this evening. Your arrival transfer is included. The adventure begins tonight. Feel free to explore before your welcome meeting, but make sure you’re back in time to meet the group. After introductions, your CEO will review the details of your tour.
REYKJAVÍK Location Information Description
Start the morning at the Perlan museum, which showcases Iceland’s geological forces through exhibits on volcanic eruptions, explosive geysers, and more.
After a classic Icelandic hot dog lunch, hop aboard a ship for a whale-watching expedition on Faxaflói Bay. Search for minke whales, humpback whales, dolphins, and porpoises diving through the waves, and learn about the incredible diversity of sea life in Iceland’s waters. The rest of the day is free for relaxing at your hotel or exploring Reykjavík.
HVERAGERÐI Location Information Description
Set off on a hike through an area dotted with hot springs, stopping to soak your feet in steaming pools along the way. Then head to a traditional Icelandic horse farm to meet the friendly equine residents and learn about this special breed. Icelandic horses are small, hardy, and have a unique ambling gait called the tölt. Opt to saddle up and ride through the surrounding hills with a guide before gathering at the farm for a homemade lunch.
This afternoon, travel to a vast lava field and enter one of the longest lava tunnels in Iceland, where we’ll explore the amazing inner workings of a volcanic eruption. Continue to our hotel in Hveragerði, a town built around its own bubbling hot spring.
Hótel Örk Selfoss
GOLDEN CIRCLE Location Information Description
Golden Circle, Iceland
Discover the celebrated Golden Circle, a circuit that will take us to some of Iceland’s most amazing natural treasures. Hear the roar of the mighty Gullfoss waterfall and visit the Geysir hot spring, the namesake of all the world’s geysers.
Continue to Thingvellir National Park, where the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates collide. Then visit a geothermal bakery to watch bakers digging pots of fresh bread out of hot black sand. Taste a slice still warm from the ground, and get the recipe for a loaf of rye. In the late afternoon, opt to stop by the Laugarvatn Fontana Spa for a soothing soak in geothermal waters.
Hótel Örk Selfoss
SOUTH COAST Location Information Description
Today, explore Iceland’s amazing history, from the Viking era to the industrial revolution. Visit a traditional turf-walled dwelling, and step inside a 20th-century schoolhouse while learning about Iceland’s architectural heritage, folk crafts, and modern technology.
Then take a short walk to the Skógafoss waterfall, one of the biggest falls in Iceland at more than 80 feet across. Enjoy a picnic lunch near the base of the waterfall and watch for rainbows sparkling in the spray. This afternoon ramble on one of Iceland’s legendary black-sand beaches.
WESTMAN ISLANDS/VÍK Location Information Description
Heimaey Island, Iceland
Leave the mainland behind and voyage to the Westman Islands, a volcanic archipelago off Iceland’s southern coast. Go ashore on Heimaey, the only inhabited isle in the archipelago, and wander among the white wooden buildings of the single tiny town.
Learn about the island’s recent volcanic history, view parts of the town buried by lava flows, and hike up the slopes of the Eldfell crater, where the ground is still warm from geothermal activity! Search for adorable puffins and other seabirds nesting on the island’s steep cliffs.
Location Information Description
Then sail back to Vík—the southernmost village in Iceland, known for its black-sand beach and strange rock formations.
REYKJAVÍK Location Information Description
Blue Lagoon, Iceland
Return to Reykjavík this morning, stopping along the way to visit Seljalandsfoss, one of Iceland’s most spectacular waterfalls. Step behind the curtain of the falls into a hidden cave filled with mist, and enjoy one of the best photographic opportunities in Iceland.
Continue to the famed Blue Lagoon to soak in the hot spring’s iridescent blue waters. Continue to Reykjavík and enjoy a farewell dinner.
REYKJAVÍK Location Information Description
Depart at any time.
- Family Journeys are designed for groups traveling with children between the ages of 7 and 17. Your group must include a child in order to book, and anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- ALL guests must carefully verify the existing identification requirements for their particular travel situation DIRECTLY WITH THEIR LOCAL CONSULATES OR EMBASSIES or with a visa service, as these requirements may change. Guests without proper documentation may be denied entry and will not be entitled to a refund.
- It is your responsibility to obtain information and to have in your possession all the required documentation and identification required for entry, departure and travel to each country or region. This includes a valid passport and all travel documents required by the relevant governmental authorities including all visas, permits and certificates (including but not limited to vaccination or medical certificates) and insurance policies. You must have a passport that is valid 6 months after the last date of travel with the Tour Operator as set out on your itinerary. You accept full responsibility for obtaining all such documents, visas and permits prior to the start of the Tour, and you are solely responsible for the full amount of costs incurred as a result of missing or defective documentation. You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation.
- You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation. The Tour Operator does not provide advice on travel documents and makes no representations or warrantees as to the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, or special equipment and you agree that the Tour Operator is not responsible for any errors or omissions in this information.
- Once a booking is cancelled the cancellation fees, if any, will be determined with reference to the date on which notice of cancellation is received by the Tour Operator and are expressed as a percentage of the total price paid for the cancelled Tour, product or service (excluding any insurance products).
- Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled product will be refunded.
- Cancellation received 30-59 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, and no further refund will be payable.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operation for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and no further refund will be payable.
- TAILOR MADE TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: 30% deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: An amount equal to 50% of the Tour price of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: No refund will be payable.
- CANCELLATION OF PRE AND POST CRUISE ACCOMMODATIONS, ADD-ON PACKAGES, KAYAKING AND THEME PARKS: Cancellation 60 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: All payments made to the Tour Operator will be refunded. Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: no refund is payable.
- AIRFARE: Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour.
- ALL CANCELLATIONS must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- TRIP INSURANCE: The purchase of trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- FAMILY TOURS: In order to book a Tour designated as a “Family Tour” by the Tour Operator, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a Family Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a Family Tour.
- 18-to-THIRTYSOMETHINGS TOURS: To travel on a “18-to-Thirtysomethings” Tour, you must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of first travel and comply with any other age restrictions as may be promulgated from time to time by G Adventures.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Medical Form for Expedition Tours: The Tour Operator’s Medical Form is mandatory for all Expedition Tours. You must return your Medical Form signed by a licensed and practicing physician to the Tour Operator prior to or at the time of final payment for the applicable booking.
- The Vessel used in Expedition Tours carries onboard service providers, which may include medical staff, spa personnel, or entertainers who operate as independent contractors. Their services and products are charged as Optional Extras and they contract directly with you to provide any products and services you request. Neither the Tour Operator nor the Carrier is responsible for these Optional Extras and will not be liable for the acts or omissions of these service providers.
- Shore excursions on Expedition Tours (“Shore Excursions”) are subject to their own set of terms and conditions, separate and apart from these Terms, and may be reserved after an Expedition Tour has been booked and confirmed. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit to participate in Shore Excursions.
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC JOURNEYS WITH G ADVENTURES AND NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FAMILY JOURNEYS: National Geographic Partners, LLC (for purposes of these Terms, collectively “NGP”) will provide educational enrichment as outlined in its catalog and on its website (nationalgeographicjourneys.com) and has licensed G Adventures to organize and administer National Geographic Journeys tours. The Tour Operator is solely responsible for arranging and providing all the services and accommodations offered to you in connection with the Tour.
- By booking or traveling on a Tour, you certify that you do not have any mental, physical, or other condition that would create a hazard for yourself or other participants. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right in their sole discretion to accept, decline or remove any person on a Tour. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right, without penalty, to make changes in the published itinerary whenever, in their judgment, they deem it necessary for your comfort, convenience, or safety and in accordance with these Terms.
- In order to book a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour.
- TAILORMADE TOURS: Price Validity: Upon receipt of your TailorMade booking request the Tour Operator will provide you with a quote for the chosen Tour. Prices quoted for all TailorMade Tours are valid until the date indicated on the quote, after which time the Tour Operator reserves the right to provide you with a revised quote. Any modifications to a TailorMade itinerary, including dates or number of people travelling, will be subject to a revised quote.
- ALL TOURS: Tour prices do not include international or other airfare unless expressly mentioned in the Tour’s descriptions. The Tour Operator will quote the best price available for the travel dates requested at the time the quote is prepared. Quotes provide an estimate only and are not a firm price commitment by the Tour Operator or the applicable air carrier(s).
- The Tour Operator acts only as a sales agent for the applicable air carrier and the air carrier terms and conditions apply to the purchase and use of the air travel ticket. Please consult the air carrier’s applicable terms and conditions and conditions of carriage for complete information including applicable cancellation terms. The Tour Operator is not responsible for changes in air itineraries or flight times and does not provide advice or alerts regarding air travel tickets, flight status or delays.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- You acknowledge that the nature of adventure travel requires flexibility and acknowledge that you will permit reasonable alterations to products, services or itineraries by the Tour Operator. The route, schedules, accommodations, activities, amenities and mode of transportation are subject to change without notice due to unforeseeable circumstances or events outside the control of the Tour Operator (including but not limited to Force Majeure, illness, mechanical breakdown, flight cancellations, strikes, political events and entry or border difficulties). No reimbursements, discounts or refunds will be issued for services that are missed or unused after departure due to no fault of the Tour Operator, including your removal from a Tour because of your negligence or breach of these Terms.
- The Tour Operator may modify your itinerary where reasonably required in its sole discretion. If the Tour Operator makes a change affecting at least one in three full days of the itinerary or which materially affects the character of a product or service in its entirety (a “Material Change”), the Tour Operator will provide notice to you as soon as reasonably possible, provided that there is sufficient time to do so before departure. If a Material Change is made more than 14 days before departure, you may choose to do the following:
- i) accept the Material Change and proceed with the amended product or service; ii) book another product or service of equal or greater value, if available (you will be responsible for paying any difference in price); or iii) book another product or service of lesser value, if available (with a refund payable to you for the difference in price); or iv) cancel the amended product or service and receive a full refund for the land-only portion of the applicable product or service (a refund is not available for other products or services booked which are not subject to a Material Change). You must notify the Tour Operator of your choice within 7 days of receiving notice or you will be deemed to accept the amended itinerary.
- Once a Tour has departed, itinerary changes may be necessary as a result of unforeseen circumstances, operational concerns, or concerns for your health, safety, enjoyment or comfort. Any changes are at the discretion of the Tour Operator. You acknowledge that you must have reasonable financial resources to cover incidental expenses during all travel with the Tour Operator, whether or not such expenses arise from a change of itinerary, and the Tour Operator is not liable for your failure to prepare adequately for travel and unforeseen circumstances which may arise during travel. The Tour Operator will not be liable for any indirect and or consequential losses associated with any changes to a booking or itinerary.
- Changes made by you: You are responsible for ensuring that information provided to the Tour Operator is accurate and up-to-date. Any changes to your name on any booking are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval. Any changes to a booking depend on availability and are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval and these Terms. Any extra costs incurred for making the change will be charged to you along with an administrative fee. Cancellation of any Tour, product or service included in a booking will not be considered a change for purposes of this section and will be governed by the applicable cancellation terms. No changes are permitted to any booking within 10 days of departure of the first product or service on the applicable booking.
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the G Adventures Terms & Conditions for more information.