Embark on a colorful journey on a Mayan Trails, escorted tour. Travel between Mexico and Guatemala with an ideal mix of exiting activities and free time to use as you wish to explore or relax. Stops in Mexico include Mayan ruins at Chichén Itzá, history rich Mérida, Palenque and San Cristóbal de Las Casas. In Guatemala along the shores of Lake Atitlán, culturally rich San Juan la Laguna and colonial Antigua.
Unique accommodations on this adventure include homestays with a local family and lodgings within a park. Meeting local artisans and see their brilliantly colored work firsthand. Explore Tz’utujil in San Juan la Laguna culture and purchase handcrafted souvenirs throughout your journey that will benefit their respective communities. Use some free time to swim in crystal-clear sinkholes, take a salsa or cooking class. Explore huge stepped pyramids and elaborate stone carvings at the various sites of Mayan history. In Roberto Barrios, Chiapas, go for a refreshing swim and explore the beautiful cascading waterfall. This memorable vacation will be a treat for your senses.
11 Days • fr. $1,124
Tour Highlights & Offers
- YOUR G FOR GOOD MOMENT: Posadas Mayas Homestay, San Juan La Laguna
- DISCOVER MOMENTS: Guided tours Mérida and San Cristóbal de Las Casas
- GUIDED TOUR Chichén Itzá
- ESCORTED TOUR in Palenque
- VISIT Roberto Barrios waterfall
- ORIENTATION walk Antigua
- FREE TIME in Mérida and San Cristóbal de las Casas
- STAY in a jungle lodge
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Public bus, private vehicle, boat, walking
- 1 CEO (Chief Experience Officer) throughout, local guides
- AGE REQUIREMENT: 12+ All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult..
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- 1 Dinner
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ: Allow USD$390-$510 for meals not included
- Hotel Kalma Casa Mora in Playa del Carmen, Mexico (1 night)
- Hotel Santa Lucia in Mérida, Mexico (2 nights)
- Hotel Mayabell in Palenque, Mexico (2 nights)
- Baron de las Casas in San Cristobal de las Casas (2 nights)
- Hotel Chinimaya in Panajachel, Guatemala (1 night)
- Day Room Chinimaya in San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala (1 night)
- Posada Los Bucaros in Antigua, Guatemala (1 night)
PLAYA DEL CARMEN Location Information Description
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Arrive at any time. As travelers arrive throughout the day, there are no planned activities until the welcome meeting in the evening. Meet your CEO and fellow travelers, and learn more about your tour. Opt to join the group for a local meal afterwards.
Hotel Kalma Casa Mora
PLAYA DEL CARMEN/MERIDA Location Information Description
Chichén Itzá, Mexico
Depart Playa del Carmen and head to the famous Mayan ruins of Chichén Itzá for a guided tour. Spend time exploring this famous site, known for its huge stepped pyramids and elaborate stone carvings.
Location Information Description
Continue on to Mérida, the capital of the Yucatán State, and take a short orientation walk. Also known as la ciudad blanca (the white city), Mérida offers the ideal opportunity to learn about Mexico’s fascinating mix of cultural influences.
Hotel Santa Lucia
MERIDA Location Information Description
Free time! Opt to visit the ruins of Uxmal or swim in Cenotes in the Yucatán. Hit the beach or soak in the history this city has to offer. The area surrounding Mérida has tons to offer. Choose to visit nearby Cenotes (water sink holes) in the town of Cuzamá. Inside, swim in the massive crystal-clear sinkholes. Transportation to the Cenotes is half the fun, taking small wooden horse-drawn carts along old rail tracks.
Hotel Santa Lucia
MERIDA/PALENQUE Location Information Description
Travel to Palenque and spend two nights in a jungle lodge. After a long day of travel, arrive in Palenque. Enjoy a 2-night stay inside the national park in a jungle lodge. The lodge is quite close to the town, the ruins and the museum and offers a restaurant and bar on the grounds.
PALENQUE Location Information Description
Enjoy a guided tour of the Mayan ruins of Palenque. After, go for a swim in the pristine turquoise waters of Roberto Barrios waterfall.
PALENQUE/SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS Location Information Description
San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Mexico
Travel to San Cristóbal de Las Casas located in a high mountain valley at 6921 ft, via Villahermosa. Enjoy an orientation walk of the city, known for its 16th-century architecture.
Baron de Las Casas
SAN CRISTOBALDE LAS CASAS Location Information Description
San Cristóbal de Las Casas, Mexico
Free time! Opt to visit nearby indigenous Mayan villages to see their unique day-to-day life or journey to beautiful Sumidero Canyon for a relaxing boat ride.
Baron de las Casas
SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS/PANAJACHEL Location Information Description
Journey from San Cristóbal de las Casas, Mexico to Panajachel, Guatemala. Opt to explore the town on arrival. The first stop in Guatemala is on beautiful Lake Atitlán. Stay in Panajachel, a lakeshore town surrounded by spectacular volcanoes and small villages.
PANAJACHEL/SAN JUAN LA LAGUNA Location Information Description
San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala
Embark on a boat ride across the lake before participating in a G Adventures-supported homestay with a local family. This area is known for stunning scenery and great shopping for Mayan handicrafts. Take part in a cultural tour of San Juan la Laguna where you can opt to bargain for colorful textiles and paintings from the local artisans.
Day Room Chinimaya
ANTIGUA Location Information Description
Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala
Travel to Antigua and head out for an orientation walk. Opt for a final night out in town. There is so much to do in this charming colonial city, optional activities for the area include a city tour, salsa dancing classes, a Guatemalan cooking class, or relaxing with a massage. Further afield you can rent bikes and ride through the hills, visit a macadamia nut farm or check out some nearby villages.
Posada Los Bucaros
ANTIGUA GUATEMALA Location Information Description
Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala
Depart at any time. Guatemala City is a one hour transfer away. Your tour leader can help you to arrange a transfer from Antigua directly to the airport in Guatemala City
- ALL guests must carefully verify the existing identification requirements for their particular travel situation DIRECTLY WITH THEIR LOCAL CONSULATES OR EMBASSIES or with a visa service, as these requirements may change. Guests without proper documentation may be denied entry and will not be entitled to a refund.
- It is your responsibility to obtain information and to have in your possession all the required documentation and identification required for entry, departure and travel to each country or region. This includes a valid passport and all travel documents required by the relevant governmental authorities including all visas, permits and certificates (including but not limited to vaccination or medical certificates) and insurance policies. You must have a passport that is valid 6 months after the last date of travel with the Tour Operator as set out on your itinerary. You accept full responsibility for obtaining all such documents, visas and permits prior to the start of the Tour, and you are solely responsible for the full amount of costs incurred as a result of missing or defective documentation. You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation.
- You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation. The Tour Operator does not provide advice on travel documents and makes no representations or warrantees as to the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, or special equipment and you agree that the Tour Operator is not responsible for any errors or omissions in this information.
- Once a booking is cancelled the cancellation fees, if any, will be determined with reference to the date on which notice of cancellation is received by the Tour Operator and are expressed as a percentage of the total price paid for the cancelled Tour, product or service (excluding any insurance products).
- Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled product will be refunded.
- Cancellation received 30-59 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, and no further refund will be payable.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operation for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and no further refund will be payable.
- TAILOR MADE TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: 30% deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: An amount equal to 50% of the Tour price of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: No refund will be payable.
- CANCELLATION OF PRE AND POST CRUISE ACCOMMODATIONS, ADD-ON PACKAGES, KAYAKING AND THEME PARKS: Cancellation 60 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: All payments made to the Tour Operator will be refunded. Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: no refund is payable.
- AIRFARE: Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour.
- ALL CANCELLATIONS must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- TRIP INSURANCE: The purchase of trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- FAMILY TOURS: In order to book a Tour designated as a “Family Tour” by the Tour Operator, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a Family Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a Family Tour.
- 18-to-THIRTYSOMETHINGS TOURS: To travel on a “18-to-Thirtysomethings” Tour, you must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of first travel and comply with any other age restrictions as may be promulgated from time to time by G Adventures.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Medical Form for Expedition Tours: The Tour Operator’s Medical Form is mandatory for all Expedition Tours. You must return your Medical Form signed by a licensed and practicing physician to the Tour Operator prior to or at the time of final payment for the applicable booking.
- The Vessel used in Expedition Tours carries onboard service providers, which may include medical staff, spa personnel, or entertainers who operate as independent contractors. Their services and products are charged as Optional Extras and they contract directly with you to provide any products and services you request. Neither the Tour Operator nor the Carrier is responsible for these Optional Extras and will not be liable for the acts or omissions of these service providers.
- Shore excursions on Expedition Tours (“Shore Excursions”) are subject to their own set of terms and conditions, separate and apart from these Terms, and may be reserved after an Expedition Tour has been booked and confirmed. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit to participate in Shore Excursions.
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC JOURNEYS WITH G ADVENTURES AND NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FAMILY JOURNEYS: National Geographic Partners, LLC (for purposes of these Terms, collectively “NGP”) will provide educational enrichment as outlined in its catalog and on its website (nationalgeographicjourneys.com) and has licensed G Adventures to organize and administer National Geographic Journeys tours. The Tour Operator is solely responsible for arranging and providing all the services and accommodations offered to you in connection with the Tour.
- By booking or traveling on a Tour, you certify that you do not have any mental, physical, or other condition that would create a hazard for yourself or other participants. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right in their sole discretion to accept, decline or remove any person on a Tour. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right, without penalty, to make changes in the published itinerary whenever, in their judgment, they deem it necessary for your comfort, convenience, or safety and in accordance with these Terms.
- In order to book a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour.
- TAILORMADE TOURS: Price Validity: Upon receipt of your TailorMade booking request the Tour Operator will provide you with a quote for the chosen Tour. Prices quoted for all TailorMade Tours are valid until the date indicated on the quote, after which time the Tour Operator reserves the right to provide you with a revised quote. Any modifications to a TailorMade itinerary, including dates or number of people travelling, will be subject to a revised quote.
- ALL TOURS: Tour prices do not include international or other airfare unless expressly mentioned in the Tour’s descriptions. The Tour Operator will quote the best price available for the travel dates requested at the time the quote is prepared. Quotes provide an estimate only and are not a firm price commitment by the Tour Operator or the applicable air carrier(s).
- The Tour Operator acts only as a sales agent for the applicable air carrier and the air carrier terms and conditions apply to the purchase and use of the air travel ticket. Please consult the air carrier’s applicable terms and conditions and conditions of carriage for complete information including applicable cancellation terms. The Tour Operator is not responsible for changes in air itineraries or flight times and does not provide advice or alerts regarding air travel tickets, flight status or delays.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- You acknowledge that the nature of adventure travel requires flexibility and acknowledge that you will permit reasonable alterations to products, services or itineraries by the Tour Operator. The route, schedules, accommodations, activities, amenities and mode of transportation are subject to change without notice due to unforeseeable circumstances or events outside the control of the Tour Operator (including but not limited to Force Majeure, illness, mechanical breakdown, flight cancellations, strikes, political events and entry or border difficulties). No reimbursements, discounts or refunds will be issued for services that are missed or unused after departure due to no fault of the Tour Operator, including your removal from a Tour because of your negligence or breach of these Terms.
- The Tour Operator may modify your itinerary where reasonably required in its sole discretion. If the Tour Operator makes a change affecting at least one in three full days of the itinerary or which materially affects the character of a product or service in its entirety (a “Material Change”), the Tour Operator will provide notice to you as soon as reasonably possible, provided that there is sufficient time to do so before departure. If a Material Change is made more than 14 days before departure, you may choose to do the following:
- i) accept the Material Change and proceed with the amended product or service; ii) book another product or service of equal or greater value, if available (you will be responsible for paying any difference in price); or iii) book another product or service of lesser value, if available (with a refund payable to you for the difference in price); or iv) cancel the amended product or service and receive a full refund for the land-only portion of the applicable product or service (a refund is not available for other products or services booked which are not subject to a Material Change). You must notify the Tour Operator of your choice within 7 days of receiving notice or you will be deemed to accept the amended itinerary.
- Once a Tour has departed, itinerary changes may be necessary as a result of unforeseen circumstances, operational concerns, or concerns for your health, safety, enjoyment or comfort. Any changes are at the discretion of the Tour Operator. You acknowledge that you must have reasonable financial resources to cover incidental expenses during all travel with the Tour Operator, whether or not such expenses arise from a change of itinerary, and the Tour Operator is not liable for your failure to prepare adequately for travel and unforeseen circumstances which may arise during travel. The Tour Operator will not be liable for any indirect and or consequential losses associated with any changes to a booking or itinerary.
- Changes made by you: You are responsible for ensuring that information provided to the Tour Operator is accurate and up-to-date. Any changes to your name on any booking are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval. Any changes to a booking depend on availability and are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval and these Terms. Any extra costs incurred for making the change will be charged to you along with an administrative fee. Cancellation of any Tour, product or service included in a booking will not be considered a change for purposes of this section and will be governed by the applicable cancellation terms. No changes are permitted to any booking within 10 days of departure of the first product or service on the applicable booking.
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the G Adventures Terms & Conditions for more information.