This exceptional tour to Germany greets you with stunning scenery, captivating history, fairytale castles and medieval towns. You’ll visit the cities of Frankfurt, Cologne, Berlin, Dresden, Nuremberg, Rothenburg, Munich, Oberammergau, and Heidelberg. Highlights stops at Neuschwanstein Castle, the Cologne Cathedral, Lake Constance, the Zwinger Palace and the Black Forest.
The 12 day German Highlights tour from Globus Tours brings the best of Germany to you in just under two weeks. Explore Germany from the big cities to the small towns and find out what makes this storied nation tick. Any fan of history, art of architecture is sure to enjoy this amazing tour from Globus Tours.
12 Days • fr. $2,519
Tour Highlights & Offers
- A sightseeing cruise on the Rhine
- Visit the Cologne cathedral and a stop at the Cölner Hofbräu Früh
- Travel from Cologne to Berlin by high-speed first-class ICE train
- Guided sightseeing tour of Berlin including a photo stop at the Brandenburg Gate and the Holocaust Memorial and a visit to the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church
- Orientation tour of Dresden and a stop at the Zwinger Palace Courtyard
- Orientation of Dresden
- Walking tour of Nuremberg including the Old Town
- Walking tour of the walled town of Rothenburg
- Guided sightseeing tour of Munich including a visit t Marienplatz
- A visit to Oberammergau
- Guided visit to King Ludwig's Castle in Neuschwanstein
- Visit the charming island of Lindau on Lake Constance
- Visit the baroque church in Birnau
- Woodcarving demonstration with coffee and Schwarzwald cake in the Black Forest
- Walking tour of Heidelberg's Old Town and a funicular ride and visit to the castle
- Headsets throughout the tour
- Free Wi-Fi available on your motorcoach and in most hotel lobbies.
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Full buffet breakfast daily (except Day 1)
- 6 three-course dinners with wine, including a special welcome dinner and a farewell dinner in Frankfurt, and a special dinner in Nuremberg
- NH Frankfurt Niederrad Hotel in Frankfurt (2 nights)
- Steigenberger Hotel Koeln in Cologne (1 night)
- Arcotel John F in Berlin (2 nights)
- Hotel NH Dresden Altmarkt in Dresden (1 night)
- NH Collection Nuernberg City Hotel in Nuremberg (1 night)
- Holiday Inn Munich City Centre Hotel in Munich (1 night)
- Romantik Hotel Boeld in Oberammergau (2 nights)
- Best Western Hofgut Sternen in the Black Forest (1 night)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Globus reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
ARRIVE IN FRANKFURT, GERMANY
Time to rest or to start exploring the bustling metropolis on the Main River. At 6 pm, meet your Tour Director and traveling companions and leave the hotel for a welcome dinner at a local restaurant.
NH FRANKFURT NIEDERRAD
A special treat at the very start of your journey through Germany is a romantic Rhine cruise along the most scenic section of the Rhine River. See castle-crested hills, terraced vineyards, pretty wine towns, and the Lorelei rock.
Disembark and drive to Cologne to visit the monumental gothic cathedral. Its twin 515-foot towers, five naves, splendid stained-glass windows, and the shrine of the Three Holy Kings are eloquent testimony to medieval engineering and craftsmanship. Afterwards, join the locals for a beer at the Cölner Hofbräu Früh, one of Cologne’s famous breweries.
STEIGENBERGER HOTEL KOELN
Ride the ICE train to Berlin, capital of reunited Germany, where sightseeing with a Local Guide in the once-divided metropolis includes the fabulous boulevard Unter den Linden with its historical building. See the Berlin Cathedral and State Opera House, Museum Island, a picture stop at monumental Brandenburg Gate, the restored Reichstag, the 210-foot Victory Column in the vast Tiergarten Park, Charlottenburg Palace and the elegant Ku-Damm. Visit the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church with its bomb-damaged bell-tower, stop for pictures at the Holocaust Memorial, and pass the former Allied Checkpoint Charlie.
ARCOTEL JOHN F HOTEL
AT LEISURE IN BERLIN
Spend a full day at leisure or join one of our exciting optional excursions, such as a visit to nearby Potsdam.
ARCOTEL JOHN F HOTEL
Arrive in Dresden, former capital of Saxony. Badly damaged by Allied bombing in February 1945, the city has since been restored to its baroque splendor. During your orientation, see the Zwinger Palace Courtyard to admire its impressive architecture; the magnificent baroque Semper Opera, originally built in 1841, once destroyed by fire, then destroyed by bombing, and finally restored in 1985; and the newly rebuilt Frauenkirche.
NH COLLECTION DRESDEN ALTMARKT HOTEL
Discover Bayreuth, of festival fame. Richard Wagner came to Bayreuth in 1871 and was not satisfied with the existing 18th-century theater, the Markgräfliches Opernhaus, so he had a new one built. Today, the Festival Hall is used exclusively for the Bayreuth Festival, and only works by Wagner are performed there.
Continue to Nuremberg, the town of children’s toys and gingerbread. Admire the impressive medieval ramparts and walk through the pedestrian area of the charming Old Town. See St. Sebald Church, painstakingly reconstructed as a monument to peace from the rubble of near-total wartime destruction, and admire the Schöner Brunnen, a 14th-century fountain dedicated to the Holy Roman Empire. It is said that it brings good luck to spin the two brass rings. Then, have Globus Local Favorite dinner at Bratwurst Röslein restaurant to taste the traditional Nürnberger Bratwürste.
NH COLLECTION NUERNBERG CITY HOTEL
Prepare for Rothenburg—a picturesque, medieval walled town with ramparts and towers at the Romantic Road. Step back in time and follow your Tour Director for a walk to the main square with the Town Hall. Wander through the cobble-stone streets and shop for Christmas ornaments, for which the town is famous, before continuing to the Bavarian capital, Munich.
Overnight in Munich. Tonight, you may wish to join an optional dinner outing.
HOLIDAY INN MUNICH CITY CENTRE
Germany’s “Secret Capital” comes alive during your guided sightseeing: admire the Olympic Stadium, built for the 1972 Olympics; the 1,000-foot-high Olympic Tower; and Königsplatz, used for Nazi rallies during World War II. Drive along the Ludwigstrasse, and see the Bavarian Arch of Triumph and Field Marshall Hall, a monumental loggia on the Odeonsplatz. Visit lively Marienplatz with the Old and the New Town Halls and the gothic Frauenkirche.
In the late afternoon, drive to the romantic Passion Play town of Oberammergau, where you will stay for the next two nights.
ROMANTIK HOTEL BOELD
AT LEISURE IN OBERAMMERGAU
Spend a full day at leisure, or choose from our optional excursions to make the most of your stay in this romantic area.
ROMANTIK HOTEL BOELD
Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany
Drive to nearby Schwangau where two castles are facing each other: Hohenschwangau, where King Ludwig spent much of his youth, and magnificent Neuschwanstein, the most famous in Germany and inspiration for Walt Disney’s Sleeping Beauty castle at his theme park. Follow your Local Guide through this fairytale castle on its craggy outcrop high above a sparkling lake.
Then, continue along the panoramic German Alpine Road to the sunny northern shore of Lake Constance, Europe’s largest freshwater reservoir.
Visit the charming island of Lindau and the baroque church at Birnau before entering the lush Black Forest.
During dinner, traditional Schwarzwaldkuchen (Black Forest Cake) will be served.
BEST WESTERN HOFGUT STERNEN
This morning, enjoy the peaceful surroundings of your hotel and attend a woodcarving demonstration, before continuing to Heidelberg, Germany’s oldest university town, of Student Prince fame
When you arrive in Heidelberg you will have time to stroll around in the Old Town, then ride the funicular up the hill and visit the red-walled castle where the great vat, a 58,000-gallon 18th-century wine cask, attracts particular attention.
Return to Frankfurt, where a farewell dinner has been prepared to say auf Wiedersehen!
NH FRANKFURT NIEDERRAD HOTEL
Your vacation ends with breakfast this morning.
- 45-22 days prior to commencement of services: 20% of total price*
- 21-8 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $250 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 45 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Globus Terms & Conditions for more information.