The Wonder's of Mexico's Yucatan
Experience the culture and history of Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula. Beginning and ending in Cancun, the tour features stops in Valladolid, Uxmal, Campeche, Becal, Merida, Chichen Itza and Balam. Explore the Mayan culture by visiting its archaeological sites, pyramids and cenotes. Stroll through the towns and see the colonial history with charming streets and churches.
The 8 day Wonders of Mexico's Yucatan tour from Globus Tours is an exciting exploration of what the Yucatan Peninsula has to offer. While you may see some familiar destinations like Cancun on the itinerary, you'll notice this great tour will open up into a whole new world of opportunity. These fantastic destinations will enlighten you and highlight the amazing culture of the Yucatan.
8 Days • fr. $2,199
Tour Highlights & Offers
- Orientation tour of Valladolid
- Sightseeing in Uxmal including a Sound & Light Show, a visit to the Choco-Story Museum where you can make your own chocolate drink and a Mayan cooking demonstration
- Sightseeing visit to Campeche with a visit to San Francisco de Campeche
- Visit a local Panama Hat maker in Becal
- Sightseeing in Merida including a visit to the Museum of Anthropology
- Sightseeing in Chichen Itza including a Sound & Light Show, a visit to Ball Court, El Castillo, and Cenote Sagrado
- Sightseeing in Ek' Balam
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Breakfast daily (except Day 1)
- 4 three-course dinners, including a farewell dinner in Uxmal
- Westin Resort & Spa in Cancun (1 night)
- Hacienda Uxmal Hotel in Uxmal (2 nights)
- Hotel Plaza Campeche in Campeche (1 night)
- Hotel Casa del Balam in Merida (1 night)
- Hotel Mayaland in Chichen Itza (2 nights)
ARRIVE IN CANCUN, MEXICO
Welcome to Cancun! At 6 pm, meet your fellow traveling companions for a welcome drink. Your Tour Director will prepare you for your upcoming adventure.
WESTIN RESORT & SPA CANCUN
This morning, visit the colonial city of Valladolid, known for its charming streets and sun-splashed walls. After a short orientation tour, there’s time to explore on your own.
Arrive later this afternoon in Uxmal. Tickets are included tonight for the exciting SOUND & LIGHT SHOW, full of magic and mystery.
SPECIAL FEATURE: Your home for the next two nights is the Hacienda Uxmal. Set on lush tropical grounds and just a short walk from the Uxmal Archaeological Park, the Hacienda Uxmal has hosted royalty and celebrities, including Queen Elizabeth, Grace Kelly, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and Henry Kissinger.
Today, we visit the most famous ruins of the Puuc region, Uxmal, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The existence of this city is a testament to the engineering abilities of the Maya who built reservoirs to provide water to it during the dry season.
Later, visit the Choco Story Museum, where you’ll learn the history of coca, its importance to the Mayans, and see how chocolate was prepared using an ancestral recipe. You’ll even have the chance to make your own beverage with ingredients you choose.
This morning, a unique cooking demonstration is in store for you. Here, you will learn the traditions still practiced in most of the rural Mayan communities. Learn about the special ingredients and spices used and how the food is prepared.
Continue to the coastal town of Campeche, once a fortified pirate haven and now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Here, you’ll find a captivating port filled with history, baroque Spanish architecture, and natural beauty. This afternoon’s city tour includes visits to the vibrant malecón (waterfront) area, the historic fort of SAN FRANCISCO DE CAMPECHE, and the historic downtown area. Have your camera handy, as Campeche has spent the last few years restoring hundreds of downtown buildings, making it one of the most photogenic colonial cities in all of Mexico. This evening is at leisure. Your Tour Director will have suggestions for shopping, dining, and additional sightseeing.
HOTEL PLAZA CAMPECHE
Our first stop today is the village of Bécal. For more than a century, the skilled hat weavers of Bécal have been weaving Panama Hats using ancient Mayan techniques. We’ll visit a local hat maker to learn about the history and the hat-making process.
Later, journey to Mérida, capital of the Yucatán state and its colonial heart. Visit the Museum of Anthropology, home to a collection of exclusive artifacts from the Maya civilization to present day. Your hotel this evening is a former colonial mansion that is within walking distance of shopping and the historic city center.
HOTEL CASA DEL BALAM
This morning, enjoy a city tour including the cathedral, Governor’s Palace, and the tree-lined streets of Paseo de Montejo.
On to Chichen Itza, where the renowned Hotel Mayaland is your home for the next two nights. You may wish to take a dip in the pool, stroll through the beautiful gardens, or just enjoy a cool drink. After dinner this evening, you are invited to attend the Sound & Light Show.
SPECIAL FEATURE: Located in the heart of Chichen Itza Archaeology Park, the Hotel Mayaland is set on 100 acres of tropical gardens and maintains its own private entrance to the park. Built in 1923, it’s the world’s oldest hotel inside an archaeological site, and has been named a “must see” by Condé Nast Traveler.
CHICHEN ITZA. EXCURSION TO EK’ BALAM
Start the day with a visit to Chichen Itza, built by the Maya between 600 and 900 AD. It was abandoned by the end of the 10th century and re-established in the 11th and 12th centuries, possibly by the Toltecs. Visit the Ball Court, site of sacrifices; El Castillo, a formidable building dedicated to the high priest; and the Cenote Sagrado, the sacred well once filled with priceless treasure offered to the gods.
Next, visit the enormous and elaborate pyramid inside the Mayan site of Ek’ Balam. Meaning “Black Jaguar,” Ek’ Balam was at the height of its importance as a Mayan city during the Late Classic Period (600-900 AD). When the Mayas abandoned the site, it went undercover as the dense low-lying jungle of the Yucatán engulfed it. Found by archaeologists and adventurers, its restoration has been ongoing since 1997.
Return to Chichen Itza, where your Tour Director hosts a festive farewell dinner. The perfect ending to your time in the Yucatán.
After breakfast this morning, depart for Cancun. Please schedule flights from Cancun International Airport after 1 pm. The tour ends at the Westin Resort & Spa for those guests extending their stay.
- 45-22 days prior to commencement of services: 20% of total price*
- 21-8 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $250 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 45 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Globus Terms & Conditions for more information.