Immerse yourself in the land down under on this 13 Day Australian Highlights tour. Begin the journey in Melbourne and make your way to Sydney as you pass through Alice Springs, Uluru, Cairnes and the Great Barrier Reef. Vibrant sunsets above the outback, scenic cruises, world-famous beaches, fascinating cultures and cosmopolitan cities are among many exciting adventures awaiting discovery.
Explore the magic below the surface as you snorkel in the incredible Great Barrier Reef. Gain insight into how those in remote areas receive education and medical care as you visit the remarkable School of the Air and Royal Flying Doctor Service. Learn about sustainability at Earth Sanctuary World Nature Centre. Marvel at the sacred red monolith, Ayers Rock and wake up to the golden glow of sunrise above this incredible natural masterpiece. An Aboriginal artist explains the ritual of Dreamtime and create your own Outback painting on canvas. Enjoy a private guided tour of Sydney Opera House. Wonderful moments, new friendships and stunning photos will combine into an exceptional vacation that color your memories for years to come.
13 Days • fr. $5,375
Tour Highlights & Offers
- SIGHTSEEING TOUR in Melbourne, Alice Springs, Sydney
- WITNESS spectacular outback sunsets at Uluru (Ayers Rock) and Kata Tjuta (the Olgas)
- VIEW renowned Field of Light installation in Uluru
- CRUISE on Great Barrier Reef
- SAIL in Sydney Harbour
- EXPLORE Uluru (Ayers Rock) Kata Tjuta (the Olgas)
- VISIT Sydney Opera House
- SEE Bondi Beach
- DISCOVER the stunning heart of the Red Centre
- EXPLORE Sydney Opera House
- SEE Bondi Beach
- DELVE INTO Melbourne's eclectic hidden lanes, arcades and street art
- VISIT Earth Sanctuary World Nature Centre- 100% carbon neutral venue
- HEAR stories of ecology, culture and astronomy at Spirit of the Outback Dinner
- TOUR waterholes at the base of Uluru
- LOCAL SPECIALIST in Melbourne
- TOUR GUIDE in Sydney
- GUIDED SIGHTSEEING AT Ayers Rock
- Handcrafted Highlights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries
- All porterage and local charges included
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- VIP entry to many sights
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation unless otherwise noted. This includes wait staff at included meals, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your tour director, local hosts, guides, and drivers are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in pricing details) and are discretionary.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne in Melbourne, Australia (3 nights)
- Mercure Alice Springs Resort in Alice Springs, Australia (1 night)
- Desert Gardens Hotel in Yulara, Australia (2 nights)
- Shangri-La Hotel in Cairns, Australia (3 nights)
- InterContinental Sydney in Sydney, Australia (3 nights)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Trafalgar Tours reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
ARRIVE MELBOURNE Location Information Description
Welcome to stylish and elegant Melbourne! (Flights to arrive prior to 12pm). You'll be transferred to your hotel located on the banks of the Yarra River before starting your travels on a high note, getting to know your Travel Director and fellow travellers over a Welcome Reception at The General Assembly. Set on Yarra River’s South Wharf, this modern pub will have you feast on specialties such as Fisherman’s bend pie, schnitzel, and mac & cheese croquettes, washed down with your choice of beverage including local wine or your choice of the 15 beers on tap. The General Assembly’s waterfront setting is a picturesque welcome to your Australia highlights tour.
Crowne Plaza Melbourne
MELBOURNE SIGHTSEEING AND AT LEISURE Location Information Description
Start your first full day seeing the best of Melbourne on a private walking tour with your Travel Director sharing their in-depth knowledge of the city. You’ll stroll past postcard-worthy Victorian architecture, arcades, and eclectic little laneways filled with colourful street art. As Melbourne’s signature coffee aroma wafts through the air, head to grand Federation Square, filled with shops, galleries, and exhibits and home to many cultural events. Have a look at the nearby neighbouring 19-century neo-gothic cathedral, St Pauls and see the famous Hosier Lane full of more unique street art. After a big morning getting acquainted with the city, you have the rest of the day free to explore more tempting haunts and eateries or join an Optional Experience such as a trip to Phillip Island to see the famous penguin parade. Here you’ll watch the Little Penguins make their daily trip from the sea to their onshore burrows. It’s a once in a lifetime wildlife viewing experience. Don’t miss it!
Crowne Plaza Melbourne
MELBOURNE AT LEISURE Location Information Description
You have a free day in Melbourne to explore as you like. Stroll this stylish city browsing antique shops, checking out Brunswick Street’s quirky boutiques, and taking in the town at one of the many cafes or world class eateries. Foodies will want to be sure to visit the historic Queen Victoria Market stopping for nibbles at one of the many stalls. If you’d rather venture outside of the city, join an Optional Experience taking the ultimate road trip on the Great Ocean Road. Driving along this stunning coastline, you’ll be in awe of breathtaking scenery from one moment to the next. Admire the famous Twelve Apostles towering limestone formations jutting out of the sea against jagged cliffs. From sea-hugging structures to seaside towns, you’ll also stop in the quaint towns of Lorne and Apollo Bay. Whether you adventure in the city or along the sea, there’s so much to experience in Melbourne and its surroundings.
Crowne Plaza Melbourne
FLY FROM MELBOURNE - ALICE SPRINGS Location Information Description
Alice Springs, Australia
Go from city to desert today as you fly into the heart of the continent to Alice Springs.
Here in the red desert against the distant McDonnell Ranges, you’ll visit the School of the Air with a Local Specialist. Learn how this remote school provides educational support to children in the surrounding communities as you tour the school and see teachers in action. Then enjoy a history lesson at the birthplace of the Alice Springs township, the historic Telegraph Station. Travel in time to its beginnings in 1871 relaying messages between Darwin and Adelaide with a single wire - a monumental step in connecting Australia's north and south.
After learning so much about the area, soak in the natural surroundings and Connect With Locals on an immersive Outback experience and Be My Guest dinner at the Earth Sanctuary World Nature Centre. You’ll meet the Outback Paramedic brothers Tom and Danny Falzon who’ll share their insights of ecology, culture, and the realities of life in the Outback living with wind and solar energy. After a tour of their farm, sit down to a starlit gourmet Aussie BBQ, complete with white tablecloths atop the bright red sand underfoot. Close your evening with a star talk and a fireside sing-a-long led by the entertaining Falzon brothers.
Mercure Alice Springs Resort
ALICE SPRINGS - ULURU (AYERS ROCK) Location Information Description
Ayers Rock, Australia
Get excited for a bucket list experience today as you depart Alice Springs to the sacred, ancient site of Uluru. Journey past dry salt lakes and Outback Roadhouses through red desert before your MAKE TRAVEL MATTER® Experience on your first of many visits to Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park over the next two days. In Aussie’s cultural heartland amidst the rusty red landscape, you’re treated to a classic Uluru sundowner of nibbles and sparkling wine. Sit back and watch the sky ignite in red, yellow, and purple gazing at massive and powerful Uluru. At 348 metres high, ‘The Rock’ is taller than the Eiffel Tower and a magnificent site to behold. Take it in and connect to the land as the sun sets and the spinifex grasses blow in the red dirt.
You’ll conclude your epic day at the Desert Gardens Hotel for a Stays With Stories experience. This indigenous-owned hotel surrounded by desert trees and distant Uluru showcases the natural beauty of the landscape and is a beautiful spot to stay in and relax or join an Uluru BBQ Dinner Optional Experience, watching the changing desert colors and enjoying an informative star talk of the southern night sky.
ULURU - KATA TJUTA Location Information Description
Ayers Rock, Australia
Experience Uluru in a different light with magical sunrise. Savour every second as, hot cocoa in hand, the dawn makes its way across the desert and illuminates Uluru. After a grand start to the day, tour the base of Uluru with your Travel Director to learn about its ancient rock and art hear stories of the Anangu people, caretakers of this remote arid landscape. After history and natural beauty are interwoven in this memorable morning, you’ll then have a bit of free time to go for a dip in the pool or browse the shops and galleries of Town Square shopping village before continuing your journey through the desert plains to Kata Tjuta.
Explore on a walk amidst its towering, mindboggling domes through Walpa (“wind”) Gorge to a lookout. You're then treated to another stellar sunset from a different vantage point at Kata Tjuta. Without many of the crowds at Uluru, you may have the beauty of this Hidden Gem to yourself. A glass of sparkling wine with new travel mates in a beautiful setting is the perfect way to end your day.
FLY FROM ULURU - CAIRNS Location Information Description
Ayers Rock, Australia
Your last day at Uluru is off to another gorgeous start with an exclusive, private visit to the kaleidoscopic Field of Light art installation of artist Bruce Munro. Experience the darkness of night change to a rainbow-coloured dawn lit up from a field of changing colours with Uluru in the distance. You’ll feel like you're walking through flowers in this totally unique Uluru sunrise experience, then as dawn continues to creep across the land, you’ll end the experience watching the desert awaken over Uluru from the top of a sand dune, coffee or tea in hand You’ve already seen so much beauty this morning and now it’s time to make some of your own as you Dive Into Culture with a Local Specialist Aboriginal artist at Maruku Arts Dot Art Experience. You’ll learn about Western Desert Art from Indigenous artists before painting your own piece of Australian aboriginal art as a memento. This MAKE TRAVEL MATTER® Experience of creating personalized art that tells your story is an insightful and hands on way to gain a better understanding of Aboriginal culture.
Location Information Description
End your day heading to Cairns for a change of scenery and more beautiful sites.
CAIRNS AT LEISURE Location Information Description
Today you get to experience Cairns your way with a full day to explore this tropical city or head out on an Optional Experience. Why not take in the view with a balloon flight over the Atherton Tablelands, the hot air ballooning capital of the southern hemisphere? Or, explore the Daintree Rainforest diving into nature on a guided, interpretive walk learning traditional hunting and gathering skills as you search for bush tucker of mud crabs, fish, and mussels and feast on your catch. You could also see the rainforest on a historic rail journey winding across bridges and through tunnels to Kuranda village where you’ll explore its colourful and interesting arts and crafts. Enjoy a different view soaring through the trees on your return trip on the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway. Looking for a bit of wildlife on your adventure? Pair your trip to Kuranda with a visit to Hartley’s Crocodile for a wetlands cruise through the ecologically significant Melaleuca wetlands, the home of the saltwater crocodile.
After another incredible day exploring, day, share your stories and photos of the day over an optional dinner at Ochre Restaurant enjoying local fare using native ingredients.
GREAT BARRIER REEF Location Information Description
Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Experience the beauty of the UNESCO World Heritage Site Great Barrier Reef over a day of play on the water. The day begins as you board a high-speed catamaran and then it’s up to you how you’d like to explore this underwater wonderland: Don your mask and fins (equipment provided) for an immersive look at this kaleidoscope of fishes and reef. Or, stay dry and explore the world’s largest living reef system from the comfort of a semi-submersible craft. However you adventure, the whole way you’re surrounded by beauty and insights on the local ecology and environment from your local guide. Be sure to just kick back, too. Your cruise includes an onboard tropical lunch and plenty of time to soak up the glorious Aussie sunshine.
Location Information Description
Sure to be a bucket list day, relive the highlights with your travel mates over dinner on the Cairns’ waterfront at Salt House. Here you’ll indulge in regional seafood highlighting fresh, local ingredients and prepared on their custom-built Argentinian wood fired grill.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
FLY FROM CAIRNS - SYDNEY Location Information Description
It’s ‘farewell, Cairns’ and ‘hello, Sydney!’ on the last leg of your Australia highlights tour. Check into your centrally located hotel in Darling Harbor and the rest of the day is yours to explore this walkable harbor city. Why not begin in the famous Rocks District dating back to before the arrival of British settlers in the late 1700s for a look at the historic buildings and pubs? Or, take in culture viewing aboriginal artefacts at of one of the city’s many museums. For a peaceful break among the flowers, check out the tucked away Royal Botanic Gardens. And if you’re looking for more of a local scene lined with boutiques and cafes, the hot spot neighborhoods of Paddington and Surry Hills call. Wherever you venture, there’s dining options aplenty from the waterfront Circular Quay to Chinatown’s famous yum cha to a rooftop bar for dazzling views of the harbor.
SYDNEY SIGHTSEEING Location Information Description
Enjoy a full free day to explore Sydney or consider joining an Optional Experience to discover even more further afield. Take a day trip to the spectacular Blue Mountains, whose eucalypt haze you’ll see looming in the distance, for fresh mountain air and stunning natural scenery. You’ll see the famous Three Sisters rock formation - each of which stands over 900 metres high - and hear the Aboriginal legend behind these massive structures. Animal lovers will not want to miss a visit to the Sydney Zoo to see some of Australia’s unique native animals including the wombat, Tasmanian devil, and yes, the koala. You can even sign up for a special encounter to get up close to visit with some of the animals.
This evening, spend some time getting to know this spectacular city. Keep it close to the hotel and dine overlooking the sparkling harbour, or ask your TD for something else, depending on how you’re craving. Love a good view? Head to SkyFeast at Sydney Tower. On this sky-high dining experience, you’ll indulge in international cuisine while seeing the city from 82-floors up with rotating, 360-degree views.
SIGHTS OF SPECTACULAR SYDNEY Location Information Description
There's plenty to discover in Sydney today and you’ll kick it off on a behind-the-scenes guided tour of the iconic Sydney Opera House. Entering through the stage door, you’ll hear the story of a building 'that changed the image of an entire country' as you learn the history of this iconic structure and appreciate its beauty from another perspective. Then see the city from the water on a Sydney Harbor Lunch Cruise enjoying a menu focusing on local food and wine as you’re rewarded with stellar views around the harbor. Next up is another iconic Sydney site: Bondi Beach to see the Bondi Icebergs ocean pools and, toes in the sand, soak up the surfer life. The afternoon is yours to see the sights or take an Optional Experience climbing the iconic Sydney Harbor Bridge. If you love adventure and views, this climb up 134 meters above Sydney Harbor is a great way to spend the afternoon.
This evening, gather with your Travel Director for a celebratory Farewell Dinner at Portside Restaurant at the Sydney Opera House.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DEPART SYDNEY Location Information Description
It’s been an incredible trip of wildlife, wild places, and stellar city sites but sadly your journey comes to a close today. Enjoy one last breakfast with your travel mates before saying goodbye before your transfer to the Sydney airport (flights anytime).
- 60 days or more prior to departure the deposit is non-refundable
- 59-16 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 15-8 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 90% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $200 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Trafalgar Terms & Conditions for more information.