Best of Italy
Immerse yourself in Italian history, flavors and culture on this Best of Italy, 13 Day, guided tour. The journey is round trip from Rome and features Pompeii, Sorrento, Isle of Capri, Assisi, Verona, Venice, Milan, Lake Maggiore, Lake Como, Pisa, Florence and San Gimignano. Ancient ruins, iconic views, famous artwork, and delicious food surround you throughout this exceptional holiday.
Historic Pompeii beckons quietly from the shadow of Mt. Vesuvius. Explore the Vatican Museums, climb the famous Bramante staircase and view Michelangelo's spectacular Sistine Chapel ceiling. The stunning Pietà resides in marble splendor in St. Peter's Basilica. Witness the Collisseum and Circus Maximus. Walk through the heartbreak of Romeo and Juliet as you visit Verona and Juliet's balcony. Admire the Bridge of Sighs and Doge's Palace en route to St. Mark's Square. Enjoy dinner on a secluded island with a restaurateur and his family. Experience the allure of Lake Como as you meander through the town. Visit Pisa's Square of Miracles and the Leaning Tower. Learn about the Medici family with a local specialist. See master craftsmen blowing glass, leather-working and creating gorgeous pieces from 18-carat gold. On the Isle of Capri stroll past sophisticated shops and quaint cafes. Italy's dolce vita has been capturing hearts for centuries, add yours to the list.
13 Days • fr. $3,225
- ORIENTATION of Venice, Milan and San Gimignano
- VISIT St. Peter's Basilica, the Sistine Chapel and the Colosseum in Rome
- SEE ancient sites of Rome and the Abbey in Monte Cassino
- EXPLORE the excavations at Pompeii
- TOUR Lake Como and the Florence American Cemetery and Memorial
- VISIT the Basilica of St. Francis in Assisi
- VIP ADMISSION to the Vatican Museums
- VIEW Juliet's Balcony in Verona
- WITNESS St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
- SEE the Cathedral and La Scala Opera House in Milan
- ADMIRE the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Duomo in Florence
- GUIDED TOUR in Rome
- LOCAL SPECIALIST in Pompeii
- LOCAL GUIDE in Capri
- GUIDED EXPLORATION of Florence
- SPECIALIST GUIDED experience in Assisi
- ASCEND Donato Bramante's spiral staircase in the Vatican
- WITNESS exquisite glassblowing on Giudecca Island
- EXCLUSIVE dinner with restaurateur Signor Telli, on Isola Madre island
- STAY in a restored Franciscan convent in Santa Maria deli Angeli
- Handcrafted Highlights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries
- All porterage and local charges included
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- VIP entry to many sights
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation unless otherwise noted. This includes wait staff at included meals, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your tour director, local hosts, guides, and drivers are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in pricing details) and are discretionary.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Victoria/Una in Rome, Italy (2 nights)
- La Residenza/Johanna Park in Sorrento, Italy (2 nights)
- Hotel Cenacolo Assisi in Santa Maria degli Angeli, Italy (1 night)
- Biasutti/Viktoria Palace in Venice, Italy (2 nights)
- Hotel Simplon in Baveno Lake Maggiore, Italy (2 nights)
- FH55 Grand Hotel Mediterraneo in Florence, Italy (2 nights)
- Marriott Park in Rome, Italy (1 night)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Trafalgar Tours reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
ARRIVE ROME Location Information Description
Ciao Roma! Explore this imperial city of emperors and senators, gods and goddesses, before joining your companions and Travel Director later for a Welcome Reception. Your introduction to the Eternal City is an evening orientation drive to view some of the sights which await tomorrow.
ROME SIGHTSEEING AND FREE TIME Location Information Description
The Holy See takes center stage today as you join a 'Local Specialist' for an included sightseeing tour in the Vatican Museums. 'Dive Into Culture' and admire the Bramante staircase, created for Pope Julius II in the early 16th century, and Michelangelo's magnificent frescoed ceiling in the Sistine Chapel. View the marble masterpiece of the Pietà, housed in St. Peter's Basilica.
Cross the Tiber into Ancient Rome. Visit the famous Colosseum and see Circus Maximus, once the site of celebrated chariot races. This afternoon, enjoy free time to explore Rome. Indulge in an espresso in the Piazza Navona or clamber up the Spanish Steps.
ROME - POMPEII - SORRENTO Location Information Description
Journey south to the well-preserved ruins of Pompeii. Here join a 'Local Specialist' who will share details of the devastation caused by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius as you wander through the ancient paved roads of a city that was frozen in time.
Location Information Description
Later, arrive at your hotel in the clifftop village of Sorrento where you'll dine tonight.
La Residenza/Johanna Park
ISLE OF CAPRI EXCURSION Location Information Description
Cross the Bay of Naples today by ferry to the glamorous Isle of Capri to visit some of its landmark sights. Wander past the chic boutiques and pavement cafés in Capri town with a 'Local Specialist' before taking your time to soak up the sophistication of this lovely island. Later, you'll return to the mainland.
La Residenza/Johanna Park
SORRENTO - ASSISI Location Information Description
See the Benedictine Abbey of Cassino, which featured as the site of the Battle of Monte Cassino in 1944, before heading north to the slopes of Mount Subasio.
Location Information Description
Arrive in the mystical town of Assisi, the birthplace of St. Francis, under whose protection this medieval city is said to remain. Join your 'Local Specialist' on a walking tour to the Basilica of St. Francis, which you will have an opportunity to visit before some free time to explore this fascinating hilltop town. You'll stay at one of Trafalgar's 'Stays With Stories' in a fully renovated old Franciscan convent.
ASSISI - VERONA - VENICE Location Information Description
Travel through the glorious countryside of the Emilia Romagna region. This area is also renowned for its gastronomy and is credited with the origin of tortellini, mortadella and parmesan cheese. Travel to Verona, the home of Shakespeare's star-crossed lovers, to admire the Roman arena and Juliet's Balcony.
VENICE ORIENTATION AND FREE TIME Location Information Description
Cruise your way through Venice by private launch to soak up the sights and sounds of what was once one of the world's greatest ports. 'Dive Into Culture' on Giudecca Island, where talented tradesmen share their centuries-old glassmaking traditions.
Make your way past the Bridge of Sighs and the Doge's Palace to St. Mark's Square where you will view the impressive square and Basilica. Search for a cozy bacaro and indulge in some tasty Venetian treats.
VENICE - MILAN - LAKE MAGGIORE Location Information Description
Cross the lush green plains of Lombardy to sophisticated Milan, Italy's capital of design and fashion. An orientation tour takes you past the intricate Gothic Duomo, La Scala Opera House and the famous Galleria. Later arrive at Lake Maggiore where you'll enjoy dinner served tonight at your hotel.
LAKE COMO EXCURSION Location Information Description
Lake Como, Italy
The glistening blue waters of Lake Como welcome you today. Enjoy some free time to explore the lakeside lifestyle and beautiful scenery which has enchanted visitors for centuries. Spend this morning exploring Como's historical quarter, indulge in the area's delicious gelato, take the funicular for spectacular views of the lake or consider a cruise on the lake.
Location Information Description
Lake Maggiore, Italy
LAKE MAGGIORE - PISA - FLORENCE Location Information Description
Tuscany lures you across the forested Apennine Mountains, past the marble quarries of Carrara to the famous city of Pisa and its Square of Miracles where you will enjoy an opportunity to view the Leaning Tower. Your next stop is Florence, the Cradle of the Renaissance.
FLORENCE SIGHTSEEING AND FREE TIME Location Information Description
Delve into the extravagant legacy of the Medici family, whose legacy of art and architecture are explored in the company of a 'Local Specialist'. The elegant Duomo dominates the skyline as you visit Piazza della Signoria with its exquisite statues and palazzi.
Enjoy spectacular panoramic views of Florence and 675-year-old Ponte Vecchio from Piazzale Michelangelo. Later, learn about the quality and workmanship of two of this city's historic industries at demonstrations of Florentine leathercraft and 18-carat gold.
FLORENCE - SAN GIMIGNANO - ROME Location Information Description
San Gimignano, Italy
This morning stop at the Florence American Cemetery and Memorial. Continuing south, visit the charming Tuscan hill-town of San Gimignano, within whose city walls, one finds extraordinary examples of medieval architecture and history. Venture to the centre of town to view its Piazza del Duomo, surrounded by medieval towers and stroll along the town's 13th-century city walls.
Location Information Description
This evening in Rome enjoy a Farewell Dinner spent in the company of newfound friends and your Travel Director.
DEPART ROME Location Information Description
Your discovery of the best of Italy has sadly come to an end and it's time to say ciao, grazie. Transfers are available to Rome Fiumicino Airport. Conditions apply.
- 60 days or more prior to departure the deposit is non-refundable
- 59-16 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 15-8 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 90% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $200 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Trafalgar Terms & Conditions for more information.