Best of Portugal
Explore gorgeous destinations on this 11 Day, Best of Portugal, escorted tour. Visits include Lisbon, the Algarve region, Évora, Castelo de Vide, Viseu, Mateus, Guimarães, Porto, Coimbra, Tomar, Fátima, Batalha, Nazaré and Óbidos. Modern cities, ancient towns, wine country, medieval architecture, lovely cathedrals, religious sites, delicious cuisine and more await you on this memorable vacation.
Coastal villages, freshly prepared seafood, lovely vineyards, mountain views and cobblestone streets are among the many highlights you can expect to uncover on this exciting journey. Tour the monastery of Batalha, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Visit the colorful fishing village of Nazaré and admire its residents traditional clothing. See the Convent of Christ in Templar city, Tomar. Explore the pilgrimage center of Fátima famous for three shepherds who saw the VIrgin Mary. Join locals for lunch at a ranch where Lusitano horses were once reared for the king during the 18th century. Tour Évora. Join your 'Local Specialist' for a visit to Évora's elaborate cathedral, Roman temple and the Chapel of Bones. In Viseu witness seeing the 12th-century Sé. You will be ensconced in beautiful surroundings throughout this delightful vacation.
11 Days • fr. $2,025
- ORIENTATION of the Algarve, Lagos, Castelo de Vide, Viseu, Coimbra, Tomar, Nazaré and Óbidos
- VIEW the Castle of Guimarães
- TASTE Douro Valley's delicious Port wine-making tradition
- SADDLE UP for a superb stud farm visit
- DINE on homecooking with a family in Portugal's beautiful Alentejo
- GUIDED TOUR Lisbon
- LOCAL SPECIALIST in Evora
- SPECIALIST GUIDE in Porto
- VISIT the Hieronymite Monastery in Lisbon
- WITNESS the cathedral in Évora
- EXPLORE the Palace Gardens at Palacio de Mateus
- VISIT the Stock Exchange Palace and Arabian Hall in Porto
- SIGHTSEEING in the medieval village of Óbidos
- EXPLORE the University Library of Coimbra
- TOUR the Convent of Christ in Tomar
- VISIT the Shrine at Fátima
- SEE the Gothic Monastery at Batalha
- Handcrafted Highlights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries
- All porterage and local charges included
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- VIP entry to many sights
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation unless otherwise noted. This includes wait staff at included meals, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your tour director, local hosts, guides, and drivers are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in pricing details) and are discretionary.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Turim Av Liberdade in Lisbon, Portugal (2 nights)
- Real Bellavista Hotel in Algarve Portugal (2 nights)
- M’ar de Ar Muralhas in Évora, Portugal (1 night)
- Grão Vasco in Viseu, Portugal (1 night)
- Neya/Carris Ribeira in Porto, Portugal, Spain (2 nights)
- Fátima in Fátima, Portugal (1 night)
- Neya/Smy Lisboa in Lisbon, Portugal (1 night)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Trafalgar Tours reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
ARRIVE LISBON Location Information Description
Bem-vindo a Lisboa. A sea of pastel pinks, yellows and blues dot the seven hills of the romantic Portuguese capital, which you will have an opportunity to explore today before meeting your fellow travelers and Travel Director for a Welcome Reception and orientation drive past the city's most iconic sights.
Turim Av Liberdade
LISBON SIGHTSEEING AND FREE TIME Location Information Description
Delve into Lisbon's centuries-old seafaring heritage today, paying tribute to the brave men who set off from these shores to discover the ‘New World’. With our Local Specialist, We'll see the shimmering white Monument to the Discoveries, the iconic suspension bridge spanning the Tagus, and Belém Tower, built as a fortress protecting the city of Lisbon.
Dive Into Culture on a sightseeing tour of the UNESCO-listed Hieronymite Monastery, an exquisite testament to 16th-century Manueline architecture and art. There’s time to join an Optional Experience to the historic towns of Cascais and Sintra. In the evening, perhaps enjoy a traditional Portuguese dinner amidst the heart-wrenching, haunting sounds of the fado.
Turim Av Liberdade
LISBON - ALGARVE REGION Location Information Description
You'll journey across the Tagus this morning and drive south towards the Serra da Arrábida Mountains and to the green pastures of the Alentejo. The hearty aroma of Portuguese chicken fills the air as you 'Connect With Locals' over a 'Be My Guest' lunch at a stud ranch, where Lusitano horses were once reared at the pleasure of King João VI in the 18th century.
Location Information Description
Your journey continues further south, bound for the holiday paradise that is the Algarve - your home for the next two nights.
ALGARVE EXCURSION Location Information Description
The dramatic landscapes of the Sagres Peninsula provide a stunning backdrop for your morning drive. Admire spectacular views before continuing to Cape St. Vincent, the site of many sea battles centuries ago. End this excursion with a visit to the resort town of Lagos - once the home of Henry the Navigator.
ALGARVE REGION – ÉVORA Location Information Description
Journeying north, travel across the Serra do Caldeirão to the ancient Alentejo city of Évora. Join your 'Local Specialist' for a visit to the elaborate cathedral, Roman temple and the Chapel of Bones.
Spend the rest of your day delving into the medieval history of this enchanting city. Trace centuries of history along its city walls, kick back with a bica and bolo in Praça do Giraldo or perhaps purchase an Optional Experience to the village of Monsaraz. This evening you'll dine at your hotel in Évora.
M’ar de Ar Muralhas
ÉVORA – CASTELO DE VIDE - VISEU Location Information Description
Your first stop today is in the quaint hilltop town of Castelo de Vide with its charming white façades, narrow alleys and fascinating Jewish Quarter. Travel north towards the Serra de Estrela mountains and arrive later in Viseu, set high on a plateau near the famous Dão vineyards. Explore the city's rich art and architectural history, seeing the 12th-century Sé, standing imposingly on a hill overlooking much of the city.
VISEU – MATEUS – GUIMARAES – PORTO Location Information Description
Mateus Palace, Portugal
Vineyard-clad hills provide an enchanting backdrop for your journey today through the Douro Valley, where Port wine is produced. Explore the magnificent gardens at the Baroque-style Palácio de Mateus, depicted on the label of the distinctive Mateus wine bottles.
Location Information Description
Continue via Guimarães for views of its impressive 10th-century castle, before arriving in the coastal town of Porto, where you will spend the next two nights.
PORTO - SIGHTSEEING AND FREE TIME Location Information Description
Join a 'Local Specialist' today for a sightseeing tour in Porto, which takes you past Baroque churches and along the winding cobblestone lanes that tumble down towards the Douro River. See the remarkable bridges that span the river and the Gothic Church of St. Francis. Visit the Stock Exchange Palace with its splendid Arabian Hall inspired by Granada's Alhambra.
Then 'Dive Into Culture' and into the centuries-old tradition of local port production at a tasting in a port cellar. Spend the rest of the afternoon strolling through the historic center of Porto and admiring the azulejo-clad façades, or visit Livraria Lello, the city's oldest bookstore with its iconic red staircase.
PORTO – COIMBRA – TOMAR – FATIMA Location Information Description
Soak up the grand atmosphere of one of Europe's greatest and oldest universities and stroll through the ancient streets and squares of Coimbra, before journeying to the Templar city of Tomar to visit the Convent of Christ, originally built as a Templar stronghold in the 12th century.
Location Information Description
Later, arrive in the pilgrimage center of Fátima, where you'll rub shoulders with millions of Catholic pilgrims who have journeyed to this pilgrimage site, where three young shepherds famously saw the apparition of the Virgin Mary.
FATIMA – BATALHA – NAZARE – ÓBIDOS – LISBON Location Information Description
En route to Lisbon, stop at the imposing monastery of Batalha - a UNESCO World Heritage site and the best example of late Gothic architecture in Portugal. Your next stop is the fishing village of Nazaré, before you visit the medieval walled city of Óbidos with its whitewashed houses and cobblestone roads.
Location Information Description
Your last night in Portugal together sees you toast to an incredible journey at a Farewell Dinner.
DEPART LISBON Location Information Description
Say a fond adeus to your fellow travelers at the end of an unforgettable Portuguese holiday. Airport transfers are available. Conditions apply.
- 60 days or more prior to departure the deposit is non-refundable
- 59-16 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 15-8 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 90% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $200 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Trafalgar Terms & Conditions for more information.