Natural beauty, fragrant spices and trade history are abundant on this Captivating Kerala Tour. A more relaxed way of life and fascinating culture surround guests as stops include Kochi, Periyar and Kumarakom. Travel by houseboat, witness architecture influenced by the many countries who traded here, learn about the spice trade and meet with locals to learn about their lives.
Verdant Kerala sets the tone for this fascinating journey along the Arabian Sea. A guided nature walk in Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and National Park may afford you sightings of elephants and bison as beautiful birds soar above you. During a Kalarippayattu performance you'll marvel as trained Kalari warriors are jumping and somersaulting in an exhibition of this ancient martial art. The intoxicating scent of cardamom, cinnamon and cloves wafting in the air welcomes you to a fascinating lesson in spices and the spice trade at Kumily Spice Garden. Learn about life in the colorful village of Kumarakom with a visit to its market and strolling its streets. Sail along winding waterways to Alleppey aboard a traditional houseboat witnessing the friendly locals going about their day. In Kochi see the Mattancherry Dutch Palace and St Francis Church. View traditional cantilevered Chinese fishing nets as you meander through the Fort Kochi area. Delicious fresh seafood will thrill your palate throughout this vacation.
6 Days • fr. $1,125
Tour Highlights & Offers
- CITY TOUR of Kochi
- CRUISE the Kerala Backwaters on a houseboat
- VISIT Wildlife Sanctuary
- LOCAL SPECIALIST in Periyar
- TOUR Kumily Spice Garden
- EXPLORE St Francis Church in Kochi
- SEE an Indian martial arts performance
- DISCOVER rural life on a walking tour with a local market visit
- SEE the unique Chinese fishing nets at Fort Kochi
- JOIN a local family for lunch in their home in Kochi
- Handcrafted Highlights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries
- All porterage and local charges included
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- VIP entry to many sights
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation unless otherwise noted. This includes wait staff at included meals, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your tour director, local hosts, guides, and drivers are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in pricing details) and are discretionary.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Le Meridien Kochi in Kochi, India (2 nights)
- Elephant Court in Periyar, India (1 night)
- The Zuri Kumarakom Resort and Spa in Kumarakom, India (2 nights)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Trafalgar Tours reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
ARRIVE KOCHI Location Information Description
Dip more than your toes in the bountiful backwaters of Kerala, 'God's own country'. This slice of southern India is a lush garden filled with spices, brilliant colors and the enchanting sounds of nature. Relax on the tranquil shores of the Arabian Sea, let the freshest seafood melt in your mouth and sink into a more straightforward way of life - one where nature sets the pace for the day.
But first, on arrival at Kochi Airport, you'll be transferred to your hotel. Later, join your Travel Director and fellow travelers for a Welcome Reception with local appetizers.
Le Meridien Kochi
KOCHI - PERIYAR Location Information Description
Your love affair with Kerala's lush landscapes begins today. Head to Periyar, named after Kerala's longest river which winds its way deep through the Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary and National Park, your first stop. Spend the afternoon soaking up the sounds of nature during an immersive Nature Walk with an expert 'Local Specialist'.
Tread lightly along the dense forest trails, learning about the endemic flora and fauna, as Banyan, Teak and Bamboo trees provide a serene backdrop for a lesson in Kerala wildlife. You may be lucky enough to see herds of wild elephant and bison seeking to quench their thirst along the quiet shores of Periyar Lake. Or keep a keen eye out for hornbills, flycatchers and kites - some of the many species of local and migratory birds that flock to this pristine sanctuary.
Your soul soothed after connecting with nature, you'll head to your hotel to freshen up for an exhilarating 'Dive Into Culture' Kalarippayattu performance. Watch as trained Kalari warriors show off this most ancient of martial arts, jumping and somersaulting in the ultimate coordination between mind and body. After a day of adventure, you'll enjoy dinner at your hotel.
PERIYAR - KUMARAKOM Location Information Description
The intoxicating scents of cardamom, cinnamon and cloves will linger long after today's encounter with Kerala's famous spices. Your first stop today is a visit to Kumily Spice Garden. Here you'll learn how the locals grow and share an astounding variety of flavorful spices, ranging from pepper and ginger to vanilla and cardamom, the queen of spices. Gain insights into the entire process of spice cultivation at close quarters and discover how Kerala's spice trade with the world has shaped its culture and heritage to this day.
Location Information Description
Kumarakom Lake Resort, India
There's more to experience as you head to Kumarakom, a tranquil village set on the peaceful banks of Lake Vembanad, the largest lake in Kerala. Embark on a walking tour and 'Dive Into Culture' as you admire the vibrant day-to-day of village life in the regional market and on its lively streets.
The Zuri Kumarakom Resort and Spa
KUMARAKOM - ALLEPPEY BY HOUSEBOAT - KUMARAKOM Location Information Description
Kerala's intrinsic relationship with water takes center stage today. Enjoy a leisurely start, then board a traditional houseboat for a cruise surrounded by Kerala's iconic backwaters. Take a deep breath and enjoy the slow, sultry pace of life fringing the narrow canals as you wind your way to Alleppey.
Location Information Description
Kumarakom Lake Resort, India
Watch villagers wave to each other from their wooden Shikaras (traditional boats), see how life unfolds along the palm-fringed shoreline. Even your ride for the day is rooted in history. These houseboats, known locally as Kettuvalloms, were formerly old barges used to ferry rice and spices. Upon arriving in Alleppey, you'll disembark and return to Kumarakom for dinner and a relaxing evening.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
The Zuri Kumarakom Resort and Spa
KUMARAKOM - KOCHI Location Information Description
Remnants of Kerala's colorful centuries-old trading history are best explored in the old port city of Kochi. It was here that Chinese, Arab and European merchants would come to buy the fragrant spices that found their way to tables all over the world. In turn, they left their mark on Kochi's architecture, cuisine and traditions.
Colonial bungalows, Catholic churches, mosques and a European fort dot the cityscape of what was once known as the 'Queen of the Arabian Sea'. Enjoy some free time for lunch and then embark on a city tour to see this multi-cultural center first-hand, including views of the Mattancherry Dutch Palace and St Francis Church, built by Portuguese traders.
Visit the Fort Kochi area and see the traditional cantilevered Chinese fishing nets, unique to this part of Kerala. Admire how these fixed land installations made on bamboo scaffolding are artfully lowered into the sea to catch the seafood for which Kochi is so famous. This evening, 'Connect With Locals' and enjoy a cooking demonstration with a local family followed by a delicious 'Be My Guest' Farewell Dinner.
Le Meridien Kochi
DEPART KOCHI Location Information Description
Your epic encounter with Kerala's culture and natural wonders has sadly come to an end, but your memories will last a lifetime. Say farewell to your travel companions and take an airport transfer for your onward flight
- 60 days or more prior to departure the deposit is non-refundable
- 59-16 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 15-8 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 90% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $200 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Trafalgar Terms & Conditions for more information.