Embark on a memorable vacation with this Classic China, 10 -Day tour. As you visit Beijing, Xi'an and Shanghai you will be astounded by ancient monuments such as the Terra Cotta Army and the Great Wall. Immerse yourself in traditions including a visit to a Tea House and discover the ritual. Explore a Mosque built during the Tang Dynasty. Dine on regional specialties and take a guided tour of the Bund. Enjoy a Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe performance.
See many highlights drawing visitors from around the world to this culturally diverse region. Thrilling UNESCO World Heritage Sites include a stroll through the gates of the Forbidden City as emperors once did. Another is the Temple of Heaven, dating back to the Ming and Qing dynasties. Indulge your palate with delicious Peking Duck, homemade dumplings and the flavors and traditions of a Tea House. Explore The Great Wall and walk the Sacred Way past stone statues guarding the Ming Tombs. Tour alleyways via rickshaw amid courtyard Hutong residences. Learn about the Tang Dynasty at the Great Mosque. Tour Emperor Qin Shi Huang's subterranean tomb to witness his incredible terracotta army. Try gentle T'ai Chi or cycle tour around the ancient City Wall of Xi'an. Take in the breathtaking city views from atop Jinmao Tower. See a performance of the incredible Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe. Purchase delicate handmade souvenirs in Old Shanghai to add to your memory collection.
10 Days • fr. $4,308
Tour Highlights & Offers
- CITY TOUR of Beijing, Xi'an, Shanghai
- SEE local people practicing T'ai Chi
- WITNESS the Shanghai Acrobats
- VISIT Tiananmen Square
- TOUR the Forbidden City
- WITNESS the Terracotta Warriors in Xi'an
- EXPLORE the 'Bund' waterfront and Jinmao Tower in Shanghai
- VISIT the Temple of Heaven
- WALK on the Great Wall of China
- GUIDED rickshaw tour
- VISIT the Sacred Way in Beijing
- INDULGE in a relaxing foot massage at the Foot Reflexology Centre
- DISCOVER traditions and techniques of dumpling making
- IMMERSE yourself in fascinating daily life of Chinese family in their home in a Hutong area of Beijing
- STOP at Xi'an primary school where supplies are donated by Trafalgar
- LOCAL SPECIALIST in Xi'an
- LOCAL GUIDE in Shanghai
- Handcrafted Highlights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries
- All porterage and local charges included
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- VIP entry to many sights
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation unless otherwise noted. This includes wait staff at included meals, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your tour director, local hosts, guides, and drivers are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in pricing details) and are discretionary.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Novotel Peace in Beijing, China (4 nights)
- Wyndham Grand Xi'an South in Xi'an, China (2 nights)
- The Kunlun Jing'An in Shanghai, China (3 nights)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Trafalgar Tours reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
ARRIVE BEIJING Location Information Description
Launch your discovery of China in its cultural heart. Transfer to your Beijing hotel where you'll meet your Travel Director for a Welcome Reception drink and local appetizers this evening.
BEIJING SIGHTSEEING Location Information Description
Delve into Beijing's rich imperial heritage, beginning your encounter with the remnants of centuries-old dynasties in the world's largest public space, Tiananmen Square. Tread in the footsteps of emperors, passing through the south gate to the UNESCO-listed Forbidden City, the imperial palace for emperors and their households for over five centuries. Immerse yourself in the ancient rituals, traditions and history of this palace complex before lunch.
Continue to the tranquil Temple of Heaven, another UNESCO Heritage Site, once visited by the emperors of the Ming and Qing dynasties to pray for good harvests and divine guidance. This evening, the salty, sweet flavours of succulent Peking Duck take center stage during a Regional Dinner.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
BEIJING AND THE GREAT WALL Location Information Description
leave the city behind, bound for the iconic Great Wall of China at Juyongguan. Standing on its ramparts, we look down on the Chinese countryside which its walls successfully defended against marauding nomadic invaders. Watch it snake thousands of miles into the distance as you imagine how these man-made fortifications were built and rebuilt from the 5th century B.C. to the 16th century. Then, walk the Sacred Way past the imposing stone statues that guard the Ming Tombs and remains of 13 emperors of the Ming Dynasty.
BEIJING SIGHTSEEING Location Information Description
A leisurely start to your morning sees you embark on a rickshaw tour around the ancient narrow alleyways of the courtyard Hutong residences. 'Connect With Locals', joining a family for a delicious meal of traditional Chinese cuisine at a 'Be My Guest' lunch, followed by a visit to a tea house, where a 'Local Specialist' prepares and serves tea, explaining the historic tea-making ritual. This afternoon, you'll indulge in a relaxing foot massage at the Foot Reflexology Centre.
BEIJING - XI'AN Location Information Description
Fly to Xi'an, which reveals its role as the ancient departure point of the Silk Road. Visit the Great Mosque, one of the oldest, largest and best-preserved mosques in China. According to historical records it was built in 742 during the Tang Dynasty and is a combination of Islamic art and traditional Chinese architecture.
Wyndham Grand Xian South
XI'AN SIGHTSEEING Location Information Description
'Make A Difference' during a visit to a local primary school (during school-term) to exchange a few Chinese and English words with the children and teachers. Trafalgar will donate some much-needed supplies as part of your school visit.
Next, descend into Emperor Qin Shi Huang's subterranean tomb to see his terracotta army for the afterlife, another UNESCO-listed site. For lunch, enjoy a traditional meal of Chinese noodles, then continue with a visit to a Jade factory, the favored stone of emperors and more precious to the Chinese people than gold.
Wyndham Grand Xian South
XI'AN - SHANGHAI Location Information Description
This morning, your choice of activities gives you an opportunity to mimic the graceful movements of a skilled T'ai Chi 'Local Specialist', or consider joining a cycle tour around part of the ancient City Wall of Xi'an.
'Dive Into Culture' at a local restaurant, watching a demonstration in the art of making dumplings, with an opportunity to sample these for lunch. Savor the juicy flavors of these boiled, steamed and fried treats, transporting you back to ancient China, before transferring to the airport for your flight to Shanghai.
Location Information Description
Ascend to the 88-storey Jinmao Tower for panoramic views of the skyscrapers that loom over the most populous city on earth.
The Kunlun Jing'An
SHANGHAI SIGHTSEEING Location Information Description
Stroll down Shanghai's famous 'Bund' with a 'Local Specialist', admiring the neoclassical colonial buildings that have lined this city's renowned waterfront since the early 1900s. Learn how this marshland was transformed into one of the world's most important trading hubs.
Then, continue to the winding streets and vibrant markets of Old Shanghai to discover the how the customs and traditional lifestyle of this area have remained relatively unaltered. Enjoy some free time for lunch and shopping in the Old Town before you 'Dive Into Culture' during a visit to a silk museum. This evening, indulge in a performance by the Shanghai Acrobatic Troupe.
The Kunlun Jing'An
SHANGHAI FREE DAY Location Information Description
Spend a day exploring the Paris of the East on your terms - shop for delicate Chinese ceramics, or consider purchasing an Optional Experience to Zhujiajiao, an ancient water town founded more than 1,700 years ago. In its heyday, Zhujiajiao was a bustling market town. Today, old historical buildings such as rice shops, banks, spice stores and even a Qing Dynasty post office can still be found as you stroll down its ancient streets and wander across the many stone bridges that crisscross its canals.
This afternoon, you'll have some free time at leisure before joining your travel companions for a Farewell Dinner.
The Kunlun Jing'An
DEPART SHANGHAI Location Information Description
Your mystical encounter with China at its end, take a transfer to Shanghai Airport for your onward flight.
- 60 days or more prior to departure the deposit is non-refundable
- 59-16 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 15-8 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 90% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $200 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Trafalgar Terms & Conditions for more information.