Contrasts of Australia
Discover for yourself why guests are continuously drawn to this region on a delightful Contrasts of Australia escorted tour. From Melbourne to Sydney see iconic architecture, famous beaches and those tasked with protecting them, enjoy a bit of ecotourism at a wildlife sanctuary and plant a tree in the rainforest. Dive into the stunning underwater world of The Great Barrier Reef.
Join your local specialist for a private stroll through eclectic Melbourne where hip street art and café society dwell. You'll also see Federation Square and Shrine of Remembrance. At Hartley's Crocodile Adventures view the resident crocs in their care. Help the conservation efforts of Rainforest Restoration by planting a tree. A thrilling high-speed catamaran cruise to the outer edge of the Great Barrier Reef gives you the choice to see the vibrant life beneath the waves from a dry semi-submersible or don snorkel gear and get your feet wet. Spend an insightful evening at Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Park. Festivities include a welcome ceremony, Dreamtime stories and an indigenous dance group's high-impact performance. Enjoy a delicious regional dinner accompanied by the soothing sounds of the didgeridoo. Vivid sunset is incredible from a cruise through Sydney Harbour. An exclusive tour through the Members Only facility of Australia's oldest surf lifesaving club with lunch is another unique experience.
9 Days • fr. $4,222
Tour Highlights & Offers
- CITY TOUR in Melbourne and Sydney
- CRUISE WITH LOCAL SPECIALIST on the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland
- SAIL in Sydney Harbour
- VISIT Hartley's Crocodile Adventures in Queensland
- VISIT Sydney Opera House
- VIEW Darling Harbour from your Sydney hotel room
- MARVEL at Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House from the water
- JOIN tree planting to help rainforest restoration in Far North Queensland
- GUIDED TOUR Australia's oldest Surf Lifesaving Club at Bondi Beach
- LOCAL SPECIALIST for Included sightseeing at Hartley's Crocodile Boat Cruise
- Handcrafted Highlights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries
- All porterage and local charges included
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- VIP entry to many sights
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation unless otherwise noted. This includes wait staff at included meals, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your tour director, local hosts, guides, and drivers are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in pricing details) and are discretionary.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Crowne Plaza Melbourne in Melbourne, Australia (2 nights)
- Hilton Cairns, in Cairns, Australia (3 nights)
- Hyatt Regency (Darling Harbour View Room) in Sydney, Australia (3 nights)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Trafalgar Tours reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
ARRIVE MELBOURNE Location Information Description
Melbourne extends a friendly welcome! (Flights to arrive prior to 12pm).
Lucky for you you’re staying in the heart of it all on the banks of the Yarra River. Check into your hotel and meet your Travel Director and fellow travellers over a Welcome Reception at The General Assembly. At this modern pub on the Yarra River’s South Wharf, you’ll feast on a three-course dinner with specialties such as Fisherman’s bend pie, schnitzel, and mac & cheese croquettes, washing it down with your choice of local wines and 15 beers on tap. It’s a delicious introduction to Melbourne’s cosmopolitan vibe.
Crowne Plaza Melbourne
MELBOURNE SIGHTSEEING AND FREE TIME Location Information Description
Get out and see the sights today on a guided walk with your Travel Director discovering the little lanes, arcades, and café society of stylish Melbourne. Gaze up at the beautiful Victorian façades lining grand boulevards. Stroll past famous, edgy street art that shows a stylish contrast to federation buildings and churches as Melbourne’s coffee aroma wafts overhead.
After your orientation, the days is yours to relax back at your hotel, go for a scenic stroll, do a little souvenir shopping, or find a spot on the banks of the Yarra River to grab a drink. Or choose to venture outside of the city on an Optional Experience such as the viewing of the incredible Little Penguins on Phillip Island. On this rare wildlife viewing experience you’ll watch the tiny, adorable penguins make their daily trek from the sea to burrows on the beach.
Crowne Plaza Melbourne
MELBOURNE - CAIRNS Location Information Description
Go from city to tropics today as you as you fly north to sunny Cairns. At Hartley's Crocodile Adventures you’ll team up with a Local Specialist for a private, wildlife-rich boat cruise. They will give you the inside scoop on the life and habits of the crocs you’ll see popping up from the murky waters or lazing on the bank. Now that you’ve appreciated the beauty of the area, you can put your passion into practice on a MAKE TRAVEL MATTER® Experience helping with a Rainforest Restoration project to protect the natural wonder of the nearby Notophyll Vine Forest, an area older than the Amazon. By jumping in and helping the team plant trees, you’re supporting the protection of this rare type of dry rainforest from development and restoring it to an important wildlife corridor of native birds - a mission you’ll feel good contributing to.
Location Information Description
After a day in the wild, you’ll travel back to Cairns for a free evening to try some of the city’s famous seafood around the Cairns Marina. If you’re looking to browse among a lot of options, visit the Cairns Night Markets and have your pick of over 70 open-air stalls of local specialties.
GREAT BARRIER REEF Location Information Description
Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Go from city to sea today on a full day bucket list exploration of the world’s largest coral reef system in the Great Barrier Reef, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Set sail on a high-speed catamaran for these tropical waters then explore this underwater wonderland up close donning your mask and fins for a snorkel (equipment provided). You’ll feel like a fish in an aquarium weaving through the rainbow of reefs and fish. Or, choose to stay dry in your semi-submersible, air-conditioned craft with an underwater observatory to have a different view of these tropical species. However you choose to explore, you’ll love learning the insights on the reef the colourful fish and plants that call it home from your local guide. On board you’ll be treated to lunch and afternoon tea and coffee to soak up the Aussie sun before you cruise back into Cairns.
CAIRNS FREE TIME Location Information Description
Your last day in Cairns is all yours to kick back at the hotel pool, check out more of the city sites, or venture out of town for more adventures. One popular Optional Experience is taking the Kuranda Scenic Railway through a lush forests, past gorges, ravines, and waterfalls to Kuranda’s 'village in the rainforest.' After an epic train ride, you have time to explore this quaint village’s trails, wildlife sanctuaries, shops, and markets all within a World Heritage rainforest. Your return trip will be just as scenic taking the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway soaring above the canopy back to the lowlands.
After a big day out or in town, meet up with the group for a Regional Dinner at Ochre Restaurant. Here you’ll watch the boats come in over the Harbour Lights’ boardwalk with views of the inlet and mountains as you enjoy Australian cuisine featuring the best local produce. Choose a craft beer, glass of wine from their extensive list, or cocktail highlighting their largest selection of Australian spirits in the region and try their dry old Tablelands beef or Salt and Pepper Prawns.
CAIRNS - SYDNEY Location Information Description
our Australia sightseeing takes an exciting turn as you leave Cairns’ beaches for Sydney, Australia’s largest city, harbour, and fun-loving metropolis. Settle into your ideal spot to explore, lively Darling Harbour, before taking to the water on a Sunset Harbour Cruise. One of the best ways to see the city, you’ll watch day turn to night from their spacious decks or inside expansive windows as you enjoy a Regional Dinner on the water with a backdrop of spectacular views. See Circular Quay and Shark Island as well as magnificent waterfront homes, beaches, and parklands. You’ll also be dazzled by two of Sydney’s most famous attractions, the Opera House’s grand sails and the Sydney Harbour Bridge lighting up the night sky.
SYDNEY SIGHTSEEING Location Information Description
After an easy morning start, you get to check out another side of the city in a couple of local communities. Your first stop is Newtown, rich with culture and colourful street art. Then make your way to the suburb of Marrickville, recently crowned the 10th “coolest” and most liveable neighbourhood in the world, before arriving at Dear Delicious Café in Dulwich Hill to Connect With Locals. You’ll enjoy the cafe’s bountiful, sustainable garden with the owner Greg as you learn how he’s brought urban farming to the community. Then enjoy a fresh and local Be My Guest experience, your lunch showcases his produce such as beets, kale, and aromatic mushrooms. Then learn about and taste some local brews at Batch Brewery meeting the founder Andrew and joining in a masterclass to see how his team creates inspired limited release batches like Mole Poblano Choco Chilli Stout using sustainable practices. Sample one of their specialties like Pash the Magic Dragon or Tasman Tango South Pacific Ale before heading back to Sydney.
After a big day of food and drink, the evening is yours to check out the sites of Darling Harbour or relax before another big day.
SYDNEY Location Information Description
Kick off your last day in Sydney soaking in the beautiful blooms of Wendy’s Secret Garden at Lavender Bay. At this tucked away retreat overlooking Sydney Harbour, meet a local volunteer and learn the story of how the garden was transformed, beginning in 1992 from unused railway land at the foot of founder Wendy’s house into a beautiful, whimsical secret spot. Take a walk around the grounds among the shrubs, herbs, and towering trees lining meandering paths, eyes peeled for the resident parrots, gulls, kookaburras and wagtails. Take a moment to enjoy the serenity of the garden, knowing that your visit, proudly a MAKE TRAVEL MATTER® Experience, helps by contributing to the ongoing maintenance by volunteer gardeners of this enchanting garden. Then it’s time to celebrate your travels over a Farewell Dinner on the waterfront with your newfound friends and travel mates.
DEPART SYDNEY Location Information Description
It’s been a glorious nine days of Australia sightseeing, but all good things must come to an end. Fill up on your last breakfast before bidding farewell to your travel mates and your transfer to the Sydney airport (flights anytime).
- 60 days or more prior to departure the deposit is non-refundable
- 59-16 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 15-8 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 90% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $200 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Trafalgar Terms & Conditions for more information.