Tastes of Southern Australia
Discover wineries and wildlife on this Tastes of Southern Australia 11 Day tour. This wonderful vacation takes guests from Sydney through Canberra, Beechworth, Melbourne, Warrnambool, Naracoorte, Kangaroo Island, Adelaide and the Barossa Valley. Gorgeous scenery, famous wines, Aboriginal culture, seaside towns and sanctuaries are among the highlights guests have the privilege of experiencing.
See the famous gaol - jail and early colonial architecture in historic Berrima. Visit the Australian War Memorial and hear the melancholy notes played by a piper honoring the Australian service members who lost their lives during armed conflicts. Ascend Mt. Ainsley for breathtaking views. Tour an exceptionally well preserved gold rush town, Beechworth. Visit the Twelve Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge and London Bridge. See the Blue Lake at Mt. Gambier. Enjoy a guided tour through one of the world's most important fossil sites, Alexandra Cave. Taste your way through the vineyards and a boutique distillery in Southern Australia's verdant Barossa Valley and Kangaroo Island. This spectacular adventure will be among your fondest vacation memories.
11 Days • fr. $3,775
Tour Highlights & Offers
- CITY TOUR in Melbourne, Adelaide
- SEE Australia's premier wine-making regions
- STAY in a historic gold rush town
- Visit Gold Creek Station for an exclusive Aussie BBQ
- EXPERIENCE sheep farm
- TOUR Twelve Apostles and wineries in South Australia
- SEE the Remarkable Rocks and Admirals Arch on Kangaroo Island
- WITNESS sea-lions on the beach
- WINE TASTING in famous Barossa wine region
- SEE Australian War Memorial
- TOUR WITH TASTING at Kangaroo Island Distillery - a selection of handcrafted premium spirits
- VIEW Worn Gundidj in Tower Hill State Reserve
- LOCAL SPECIALIST in Gold Creek Station
- TOUR GUIDE in Parliament House
- GUIDED EXPLORATION Tower Hill
- LOCAL SPECIALIST Coonawarra Winery
- TOUR GUIDE in Naracoorte Caves
- ESCORTED TOUR Kangaroo Island Distillery
- LOCAL GUIDE at the Barossa
- GUIDED TOUR Seal Bay Conservation Park
- Handcrafted Highlights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries
- All porterage and local charges included
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- VIP entry to many sights
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation unless otherwise noted. This includes wait staff at included meals, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your tour director, local hosts, guides, and drivers are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in pricing details) and are discretionary.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Crowne Plaza Canberra in Canberra, Australia (1 night)
- Quality Hotel Wangratta in Wangratta, Australia (1 night)
- Crowne Plaza in Melbourne, Australia (2 nights)
- Deep Blue Hotel & Hot Springs in Warrnambool, Australia (1 night)
- William MacIntosh Motor Lodge in Naracoorte, Australia (1 night)
- Aurora Ozone Hotel Kangaroo Island in Kingscote, Australia (2 nights)
- Crowne Plaza in Adelaide, Australia (2 nights)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Trafalgar Tours reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
SYDNEY - CANBERRA Location Information Description
With 11 days of history, food and sightseeing ahead, we’ll head out of the city to start your Australia tour package in the historic town Berrima before pulling up at Gold Creek Station to Connect With Locals. It’s here you’ll appreciate a taste of true Aussie hospitality as hosts the Starr Family swing open their barn doors to share an insight into the family’s history and what life is like on a 400-hectare station. See Craig roll up his sleeves for a fascinating sheep shearing demonstration before they fire up the BBQ, for a delicious Be My Guest lunch.
We’re back on the road toward your home for the night, Canberra, the capital city packed with history. You’re treated to a guided tour through Parliament House with a Local Specialist before a visit to the Australian War Memorial. Pause and pay reverence listening to an evocative piece played by a piper as a tribute to those who have lost their lives in armed conflicts.
After a full first day, get to know your group over a Regional Dinner at Pialligo Estate featuring seasonal produce grown right on the estate, washed down with regional wine and a selection of tempting desserts.
Crowne Plaza Canberra
CANBERRA - BEECHWORTH Location Information Description
Say farewell to Canberra this morning by ascending the summit of towering Mt. Ainslie to bask in 360-views of the city. Then cross the mighty Murray River into Victoria where you’ll feel like the clocks been wound back as we call into Beechworth, Victoria's best-preserved gold rush town, to explore the charming antique shops, galleries, and museums. Beginning in the gold rush days, you’ll soon learn how each building has a story to tell.
Dive Into Culture and stroll the Beechworth Historic Precinct where you can sit in the judge's chair in the very courthouse that determined Ned Kelly’s fate, or step back in time and send a telegraphic message at the circa 1858 Telegraph Station. Reward your sightseeing with a visit to the legendary Beechworth Bakery, self-proclaimed as 'Australia’s Greatest Bakery.' If you like, sample their hearty, Big Brekkie Roll, toasty, or their specialty Bushwhacker or Bushranger focaccia. Full and happy, your home for tonight is the nearby cathedral city of Wangaratta.
Quality Hotel Wangaratta
BEECHWORTH - MELBOURNE Location Information Description
It’s a complete change of scene as we journey to cosmopolitan Melbourne where you’ll get your bearings on a city sightseeing tour. Discover why Melbourne has justifiably earned its reputation as one of the world’s most liveable cities and delve into its Victorian history in the CBD, Southbank’s sprawling riverfront, arts district, and natural beauty at the Botanic Gardens. Cruise by the Crown complex and consider coming back this evening for one of its super-chef's restaurants, designer boutiques, or indoor amusement park.
After seeing so much of what awaits, you’ll no doubt be eager to explore more of this stylish city. Fortunately, you’re staying opposite the Crowne Complex in centrally located Southbank - a fun area that comes alive at night. Pop back to area you’d like to get to know better or tuck into a delicious seafood dinner and watch the sunset on the banks of the Yarra.
MELBOURNE FREE TIME Location Information Description
There are endless ways to discover heart and soul of Melbourne today both in, or out, of the city on an Optional Experience. You could to the Eureka Skydeck - the highest viewing platform in the Southern Hemisphere - for panoramic, floor-to-ceiling views of the city stretching far beyond its skyscrapers. Foodie? You could join a Hunt and Gather Food Tour of Queen Victoria Market to immerse yourself in the life, sounds, and stories of this historic marketplace.
Out of the city, wine, history and nature combine in the Dandenong Ranges. Starting with a tasty Devonshire Tea, you’ll then board the century-old Puffing Billy steam train chugging along to two wineries in the Yarra Valley to indulge in a tasting of the area’s famous Chardonnay, sparkling wine, and Pinot Noir. Or opt to venture further afield to Phillip Island to see the famous Little Penguins emerge from the sea and waddle up the beach to their sand dune burrow homes - a fascinating (and adorable!) wildlife encounter you can’t have anywhere else in the world.
MELBOURNE - WARRNAMBOOL Location Information Description
Buckle up for an epic coastal road trip filled with pinch-me moments. Your journey along the scenic Great Ocean Road will have you glued to the window the whole way with plenty of photo ops and time to relax and take in one of the world’s greatest drives. Stop at the Mediterranean-inspired, quaint seaside villages. In Lorne, browse the shops along Mountjoy Parade set against the surrounding hills and forest, then in Apollo Bay watch the boats come in at the harbour before today’s highlight, Twelve Apostles. Admire these limestone formations rising 45 meters above the Southern Ocean and towering over the surrounding landscapes, feeling fortunate that you have the opportunity to see the eight apostles still standing today.
Later, visit Loch Ard Gorge and London Bridge before arriving in the historic former port city of Warrnambool and your overnight stay at Deep Blue Hotel & Hot Springs. Relax in their sauna or book some time in their spa or geothermal hot springs to rejuvenate before another big day.
Deep Blue Hotel & Hot Springs
WARRNAMBOOL - NARACOORTE Location Information Description
Kick off the morning with an indigenous perspective on flora, wildlife, and volcanic formations at Worn Gundidj in Tower Hill State Reserve. A MAKE TRAVEL MATTER® Experience, you’ll join a Local Specialist, and Dive into Culture on your first encounter with Australia’s native creatures including emus, koalas, and kangaroos in their natural habitat. With their guidance and stories, you’ll learn all about the aboriginal lifestyle including identifying native plants for food and medicinal purposes, and even trying your hand at throwing a boomerang.
Location Information Description
Filled with a new perspective, you’ll cross the South Australia border to Mt. Gambier to view the Blue Lake. Lovers of rich red wines will delight at our next destination, Coonawarra where you'll join a Local Specialist for a tasting at Wynns Coonawarra Estate built in 1891. Learn how their wine is made and the rich soil that makes the area one of the finest Cabernet Sauvignon regions in the world as you sample six tasty wines paired with local cheeses.
Location Information Description
Continue your Australia tour package to one of the world’s most important fossil sites and part of 800,000-year-old Naracoorte East Range where on a guided tour with a Local Specialist through Alexandra Cave you’ll learn about the layers of fossils. Your day finishes over dinner showcasing products from the Limestone Coast and Southern Australia at the Highlander restaurant.
William MacIntosh Motor Lodge
NARACOORTE - KANGAROO ISLAND Location Information Description
Victor Harbour, Australia
Today is a big day for wildlife, the laidback lifestyle of the Fleurieu Peninsula, and local flavours. Begin in Tailem Bend, once inhabited by the Aboriginal Ngarrindjeri people, before visiting the seaside town of Victor Harbor. Relax with fish and chips on its unspoiled beach or take the horse-drawn tram to Granite Island to watch the white surf pound against unusual granite formations.
Location Information Description
Kangaroo Island, Australia
Excitement will be at an all-time high as we board a ferry to Kangaroo Island, known as ‘KI’ to the locals and Australia's third-largest Island, and sanctuary for 18 native mammals, some of which are found nowhere else. Meet and greet the Western Grey Kangaroo, Short-nosed Echidnas, and Tammar Wallaby, now extinct on the mainland. Explore KI’s natural beauty - from native bushland to pristine beaches - and indulge in its artisanal food scene..
Later, meet Jon and Sarah Lark, Local Specialists and owners of Kangaroo Island's only boutique distillery and Australia’s first dedicated gin distillery, Kangaroo Island Spirits. Savour their handcrafted premium spirits including the favourite Old Tom's old-style gin lightly aged in small re-charred French oak barrels with notes of local aniseed and lemon myrtles - a sweet finish to another epic day on your tour.
KANGAROO ISLAND SIGHTSEEING Location Information Description
Kangaroo Island, Australia
Nature and wildlife take centre stage today beginning with an exploration of Kangaroo Island showcasing the Remarkable Rocks and Admirals Arch coastal features in Flinders Chase National Park. You’ll love the next adventures today with two MAKE TRAVEL MATTER® Experiences, starting with a private educational ecology tour of Hanson Bay Wildlife Sanctuary, an area badly affected by the 2019/20 bushfires. As you learn about the delicate ecosystem from one of their experienced guides, know that your visit will assist their recovery plan and wildlife rehabilitation program - native animals such as goannas, eagles, kangaroos and Kangaroo Island echidnas have already returned.
After lunch featuring fresh local produce, join a Local Specialist at Seal Bay Conservation Park for a guided walk into the heart of one of the country’s most important sea lion breeding colonies. Your expert guide will introduce you to the Australian sea lion - one of the rarest species in the world of only 12,000, 800 of which call Seal Bay home. Learn how these endangered animals hunt, surf, interact with their pups, defend their territory, and - as “eared” seals - use their front flippers to prop themselves up and their back flippers to help them to “walk” on land. Finish your day at the Aurora Ozone Hotel perched on the stunning Kingscote Seafront.
ADELAIDE Location Information Description
Continue your Australia tour package to the capital of South Australia, Adelaide, where you’ll get your first look at the city on an orientation tour past Adelaide Oval, the Central Market, Art Gallery of South Australia, and the Botanic Gardens. Once you’ve gotten the lay of the land, the afternoon is yours to explore how you wish. You could indulge your foodie side with a tour of the famous Adelaide Central Market, the city's premier food destination, or visit the National Wine Centre for tastings and a masterclass learning about the role wine has played in Australia’s history, the position of Australian wine in the international market, and the relationship between food and wine. Or see the sights on three wheels on an EcoCaddy bike tour pedalling past greenspaces, public art, and Victorian architecture.
THE BAROSSA Location Information Description
Barossa Valley, Australia
The rolling Adelaide Hills, Hahndorf, and Australia's premier Shiraz producing region, the Barossa, lay ahead of you today. Your first stop is Mt Lofty for sweeping views of Adelaide before stopping to stretch your legs in the quaint village of Hahndorf settled by 19th-century Lutheran migrants and known for its original German-style architecture and stone cottages. Refuel over lunch at the South Australian Company Store over a bountiful boutique Barossa tasting platter of cheese, smoked meats, and chutney paired with Sauvignon Blanc and, of course, Shiraz. Travel to our next stop Seppeltsfield, a high-profile winery specializing in Shiraz, to sample their world-renowned wines before touring the surrounding sprawling vineyards. You’ll then pop into their onsite JamFactory - contemporary craft and design studios, gallery, and shop housed in historic stables - to see local artisans at work, and soap and perfumes being made at Vasse Virgin.
Location Information Description
You’ll end the trip on a high note returning to the city for a Farewell Dinner at Koomo, Adelaide’s highest restaurant where you’ll toast your adventures enjoying city views and feasting on Japanese-and-Asian-influenced dishes.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
DEPART ADELAIDE Location Information Description
As your journey through the beautiful natural landscapes and stylish cities of Southern Australia comes to an end, say farewell to your fellow travelers before your transfer to Adelaide Airport (flights anytime).
- 60 days or more prior to departure the deposit is non-refundable
- 59-16 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 15-8 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 90% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $200 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Trafalgar Terms & Conditions for more information.