National Geographic Journeys
Delve into wonder in the land down under on an Explore Australia escorted tour. As you travel from Sydney to Melbourne visit some of the most famous points of interest in Port Douglas, Cairns and Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. Some of the highlights include a cruise past the iconic Sydney Opera House and breathtaking sunset over Ayers Rock.
Cosmopolitan cities, indigenous cultures, fascinating wildlife and incredible natural treasures surround you throughout an Australia vacation. Take a sunset cruise along Sydney Harbour while indulging in a delicious barbecue dinner. Join an indigenous guide to learn about the Kuku Yalanji people and explore a UNESCO World Heritage Site and world’s oldest tropical rainforest, Daintree Rainforest. Spend some free time strolling the boutique-lined streets in Port Douglas. An eye-opening, behind the scenes tour of the aquarium at James Cook University showcases exciting species and research. On a guided walk around the base of the ancient red-hued monolith, learn about the significance of Uluru and Kata Tjuta to the Anangu people. Have your camera handy for all of the incredible discoveries you'll want to capture.
12 Days • fr. $Call Us
Tour Highlights & Offers
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: The Rocks Indigenous Dreaming and Welcome Tour, Sydney
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: James Cook University Research Aquarium, Cairns
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Melbourne Foodie Walk
- DISCOVER MOMENT: Cairns
- CRUISE Sydney Harbour
- EXPLORE the Daintree Rainforest at Mossman Gorge
- SUNRISE interpretive walk at Uluru
- STROLL through Walpa Gorge in Kata Tjuta
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Private vehicle, plane, boat, walking
- CEO (Chief Experience Officer) throughout, local guides
- AGE REQUIREMENT: 12+: All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- 11 Breakfasts, 1 Lunches, 1 Dinner
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ: Allow USD$605-$790 for meals not included
- Vibe Hotel Sydney in Sydney (2 nights)
- Mantra PortSea in Port Douglas (2 nights)
- Pacific Hotel Cairns in Cairns (2 nights)
- Desert Gardens Hotel in Uluru (2 nights)
- Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne in Melbourne (3 nights)
- Accommodations in Uluru are limited and of varying amenities. We do our best to secure a mid-range hotel, but on occasion a more simple accommodation with fewer amenities may be used.
SYDNEY Location Information Description
Arrive at any time. Please make your own way to the joining hotel. There are no planned activities during the day, so check into the hotel and enjoy exploring the city before joining the welcome meeting at 6pm. After introductions, your CEO will review the details of your tour. If you arrive early enough, you'll have time to head into the city to visit The Rocks neighborhood, the Australian Museum, Bondi Beach, or Darling Harbour.
Vibe Hotel Sydney
SYDNEY Location Information Description
Enjoy a traditional welcome ceremony this morning, followed by a guided tour of the historic Rocks district. This waterfront neighborhood marks the spot of the first European settlement in Australia, and holds a spiritual significance for the area’s indigenous people.
In the afternoon, board a private yacht for a sunset cruise and barbecue dinner on the Sydney Harbour, taking in views of the iconic Sydney Opera House and the Harbour Bridge.
Vibe Hotel Sydney
SYDNEY/PORT DOUGLAS Location Information Description
Port Douglas, Australia
Fly to Cairns and travel up the scenic coastal road to Daintree Rainforest, the world’s oldest tropical rainforest and part of a UNESCO World Heritage site. Embark on an interpretive walk with an indigenous guide at the lush Mossman Gorge, learning about the traditional ways of life of the region’s Kuku Yalanji people. Continue to the resort town of Port Douglas, your home for the next two nights.
PORT DOUGLAS Location Information Description
Port Douglas, Australia
Enjoy a day of leisure in charming Port Douglas. Stroll the town’s boutique-lined streets and idyllic beaches, and opt to go snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, considered one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.
PORT DOUGLAS/CAIRNS Location Information Description
Return to the tropical city of Cairns and visit James Cook University for a behind-the-scenes tour of its research aquarium, founded by marine biologist and National Geographic Grantee Dr Jamie Seymour. Get an up-close view of some of the aquarium’s fascinating creatures, from sea snakes to box jellyfish, and hear about the latest aquatic research from Jamie or one of his colleagues.
Pacific Hotel Cairns
CAIRNS Location Information Description
Spend the day on your own in beautiful Cairns, relaxing at the beach or setting out on an optional excursion. Choose to go scuba diving or snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, which teems with thousands of marine species, or enjoy spectacular views along the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway and Kuranda Scenic Railway
Pacific Hotel Cairns
CAIRNS/ULURU Location Information Description
Catch a flight to Uluru, in the heart of the Australian outback. Visit the Cultural Centre of the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park—a UNESCO World Heritage site—and learn about the beliefs and customs of the Anangu, the area’s traditional indigenous owners. Cap off the day with a glass of sparkling wine as you witness a crimson sunset over the fabled Uluru monolith.
Desert Gardens Hotel
ULURU Location Information Description
Awake at dawn to take in an unforgettable sunrise over Uluru, then delve into a full-day exploration of the ancient, red-hued landscapes of Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. Set out on a guided walk around the base of the monolith, gaining insight into its sacred significance to the Anangu. Later, make your way to Kata Tjuta, Uluru’s neighboring natural wonder. The rest of the afternoon is yours to explore.
Desert Gardens Hotel
ULURU/MELBOURNE Location Information Description
Enjoy one last sunrise over spectacular Uluru before catching a flight to Melbourne, known as the cultural capital of Australia.
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
MELBOURNE Location Information Description
Spend the day exploring vibrant Melbourne. Set out on an optional excursion on the Great Ocean Road, one of the most picturesque coastal drives in the world; visit some of the region’s top wineries; or wander the city’s narrow cobbled lanes and alleys, discovering quirky cafés and colorful murals.
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
Location Information Description
Embark on a food tour of Melbourne with a local author and culinary storyteller. Home to many thriving immigrant communities, Melbourne has long been considered one of Australia’s gastronomic hubs. On this foodie walk through the city’s famed laneways, you’ll enjoy lunch at three popular venues and experience a range of flavors and cuisines. Spend the rest of the day at your leisure
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
MELBOURNE Location Information Description
Depart at any time.
- ALL guests must carefully verify the existing identification requirements for their particular travel situation DIRECTLY WITH THEIR LOCAL CONSULATES OR EMBASSIES or with a visa service, as these requirements may change. Guests without proper documentation may be denied entry and will not be entitled to a refund.
- It is your responsibility to obtain information and to have in your possession all the required documentation and identification required for entry, departure and travel to each country or region. This includes a valid passport and all travel documents required by the relevant governmental authorities including all visas, permits and certificates (including but not limited to vaccination or medical certificates) and insurance policies. You must have a passport that is valid 6 months after the last date of travel with the Tour Operator as set out on your itinerary. You accept full responsibility for obtaining all such documents, visas and permits prior to the start of the Tour, and you are solely responsible for the full amount of costs incurred as a result of missing or defective documentation. You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation.
- You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation. The Tour Operator does not provide advice on travel documents and makes no representations or warrantees as to the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, or special equipment and you agree that the Tour Operator is not responsible for any errors or omissions in this information.
- Once a booking is cancelled the cancellation fees, if any, will be determined with reference to the date on which notice of cancellation is received by the Tour Operator and are expressed as a percentage of the total price paid for the cancelled Tour, product or service (excluding any insurance products).
- Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled product will be refunded.
- Cancellation received 30-59 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, and no further refund will be payable.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operation for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and no further refund will be payable.
- TAILOR MADE TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: 30% deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: An amount equal to 50% of the Tour price of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: No refund will be payable.
- CANCELLATION OF PRE AND POST CRUISE ACCOMMODATIONS, ADD-ON PACKAGES, KAYAKING AND THEME PARKS: Cancellation 60 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: All payments made to the Tour Operator will be refunded. Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: no refund is payable.
- AIRFARE: Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour.
- ALL CANCELLATIONS must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- TRIP INSURANCE: The purchase of trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- FAMILY TOURS: In order to book a Tour designated as a “Family Tour” by the Tour Operator, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a Family Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a Family Tour.
- 18-to-THIRTYSOMETHINGS TOURS: To travel on a “18-to-Thirtysomethings” Tour, you must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of first travel and comply with any other age restrictions as may be promulgated from time to time by G Adventures.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Medical Form for Expedition Tours: The Tour Operator’s Medical Form is mandatory for all Expedition Tours. You must return your Medical Form signed by a licensed and practicing physician to the Tour Operator prior to or at the time of final payment for the applicable booking.
- The Vessel used in Expedition Tours carries onboard service providers, which may include medical staff, spa personnel, or entertainers who operate as independent contractors. Their services and products are charged as Optional Extras and they contract directly with you to provide any products and services you request. Neither the Tour Operator nor the Carrier is responsible for these Optional Extras and will not be liable for the acts or omissions of these service providers.
- Shore excursions on Expedition Tours (“Shore Excursions”) are subject to their own set of terms and conditions, separate and apart from these Terms, and may be reserved after an Expedition Tour has been booked and confirmed. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit to participate in Shore Excursions.
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC JOURNEYS WITH G ADVENTURES AND NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FAMILY JOURNEYS: National Geographic Partners, LLC (for purposes of these Terms, collectively “NGP”) will provide educational enrichment as outlined in its catalog and on its website (nationalgeographicjourneys.com) and has licensed G Adventures to organize and administer National Geographic Journeys tours. The Tour Operator is solely responsible for arranging and providing all the services and accommodations offered to you in connection with the Tour.
- By booking or traveling on a Tour, you certify that you do not have any mental, physical, or other condition that would create a hazard for yourself or other participants. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right in their sole discretion to accept, decline or remove any person on a Tour. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right, without penalty, to make changes in the published itinerary whenever, in their judgment, they deem it necessary for your comfort, convenience, or safety and in accordance with these Terms.
- In order to book a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour.
- TAILORMADE TOURS: Price Validity: Upon receipt of your TailorMade booking request the Tour Operator will provide you with a quote for the chosen Tour. Prices quoted for all TailorMade Tours are valid until the date indicated on the quote, after which time the Tour Operator reserves the right to provide you with a revised quote. Any modifications to a TailorMade itinerary, including dates or number of people travelling, will be subject to a revised quote.
- ALL TOURS: Tour prices do not include international or other airfare unless expressly mentioned in the Tour’s descriptions. The Tour Operator will quote the best price available for the travel dates requested at the time the quote is prepared. Quotes provide an estimate only and are not a firm price commitment by the Tour Operator or the applicable air carrier(s).
- The Tour Operator acts only as a sales agent for the applicable air carrier and the air carrier terms and conditions apply to the purchase and use of the air travel ticket. Please consult the air carrier’s applicable terms and conditions and conditions of carriage for complete information including applicable cancellation terms. The Tour Operator is not responsible for changes in air itineraries or flight times and does not provide advice or alerts regarding air travel tickets, flight status or delays.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- You acknowledge that the nature of adventure travel requires flexibility and acknowledge that you will permit reasonable alterations to products, services or itineraries by the Tour Operator. The route, schedules, accommodations, activities, amenities and mode of transportation are subject to change without notice due to unforeseeable circumstances or events outside the control of the Tour Operator (including but not limited to Force Majeure, illness, mechanical breakdown, flight cancellations, strikes, political events and entry or border difficulties). No reimbursements, discounts or refunds will be issued for services that are missed or unused after departure due to no fault of the Tour Operator, including your removal from a Tour because of your negligence or breach of these Terms.
- The Tour Operator may modify your itinerary where reasonably required in its sole discretion. If the Tour Operator makes a change affecting at least one in three full days of the itinerary or which materially affects the character of a product or service in its entirety (a “Material Change”), the Tour Operator will provide notice to you as soon as reasonably possible, provided that there is sufficient time to do so before departure. If a Material Change is made more than 14 days before departure, you may choose to do the following:
- i) accept the Material Change and proceed with the amended product or service; ii) book another product or service of equal or greater value, if available (you will be responsible for paying any difference in price); or iii) book another product or service of lesser value, if available (with a refund payable to you for the difference in price); or iv) cancel the amended product or service and receive a full refund for the land-only portion of the applicable product or service (a refund is not available for other products or services booked which are not subject to a Material Change). You must notify the Tour Operator of your choice within 7 days of receiving notice or you will be deemed to accept the amended itinerary.
- Once a Tour has departed, itinerary changes may be necessary as a result of unforeseen circumstances, operational concerns, or concerns for your health, safety, enjoyment or comfort. Any changes are at the discretion of the Tour Operator. You acknowledge that you must have reasonable financial resources to cover incidental expenses during all travel with the Tour Operator, whether or not such expenses arise from a change of itinerary, and the Tour Operator is not liable for your failure to prepare adequately for travel and unforeseen circumstances which may arise during travel. The Tour Operator will not be liable for any indirect and or consequential losses associated with any changes to a booking or itinerary.
- Changes made by you: You are responsible for ensuring that information provided to the Tour Operator is accurate and up-to-date. Any changes to your name on any booking are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval. Any changes to a booking depend on availability and are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval and these Terms. Any extra costs incurred for making the change will be charged to you along with an administrative fee. Cancellation of any Tour, product or service included in a booking will not be considered a change for purposes of this section and will be governed by the applicable cancellation terms. No changes are permitted to any booking within 10 days of departure of the first product or service on the applicable booking.
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the G Adventures Terms & Conditions for more information.