Nepal: Himalaya Highlights
National Geographic Journeys
Embark on a once-in-a-lifetime journey on a Nepal: Himalayan Highlights vacation. This scenic adventure takes you from the colorful streets of Kathmandu to an overnight in a Buddhist Monastery, looking for elephants and tigers in Chitwan National Park, visiting a Tashiling Tibetan Refugee Camp among other unique experiences.
This Jane Goodall Collection Tour has a wonderful wildlife focus. Enjoy a a seasonal jeep safari in search of rhinos, leopards, elephants, monkeys, and the elusive Bengal tiger. Learn about the great work of Nepal Tiger Trust, a non-profit from a “tiger technician.” Visit Nepal’s medieval capital, Bhaktapur, to see its wood-carved temples, pagados, and palaces. Marvel at snowcapped Himalayan peaks on a guided tour in the beautiful town of Pokhara. Get the incredible double benefit of a morning hike and stunning sunrise over the Annapurna Himalaya from Sarangkot lookout. Peruse the busy shops in Kathmandu's Thamel district. Join a traditional dumpling cooking lesson with the women in Sisterhood of Survivors Project, which helps the female victims of human trafficking. Take this opportunity to indulge in a vacation that is a feast for the senses and the soul, a rare combination.
10 Days • fr. $2,399
Tour Highlights & Offers
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: SASANE Lecture, Kathmandu
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Traditional Weaving and Indigenous Peoples Lecture, Kathmandu
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Overnight at a Buddhist Monastery, Pharping
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Neydo Monastery Sunrise Chant, Pharping
- JOURNEYS HIGHLIGHT MOMENT: Chitwan Tiger Experience, Chitwan National Park
- G FOR GOOD MOMENT: Sisterhood of Survivors Project, Kathmandu
- EXPLORE Boudhanath Stupa and the Royal City of Bhaktapur
- VISIT Swayambhunath
- WALKING TOUR Chitwan National Park including a village
- ENJOY jeep safari
- HIKE to the World Peace Pagoda
- DEMONSTRATI0ON of traditional apron weaving
- LEARN to make Nepalese momos (dumplings)
- All transport between destinations and to/from included activities
- Private bus, plane, boat, walking, 4x4
- CEO (Chief Experience Officer) throughout, local guides
- Age requirement: 12+ All travelers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Tips for personal services and to tour directors and drivers are not included in tour cost and left to your discretion.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- 9 Breakfasts, 4 Lunches, 4 Dinners
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ: Allow USD$170-$225 for meals not included
- Hotel Traditional Comfort in Kathmandu (3 nights)
- Overnight at a Buddhist Monastery in Pharping (1 night)
- Summit River Lodge in Kurintar (1 night)
- Barahi Jungle Lodge in Chitwan National Park (2 nights)
- Temple Tree Resort & Spa in Pokhara (2 nights)
KATHMANDU Location Information Description
Arrive any time. Arrival transfer is included. Enjoy a six-course welcome feast tonight, savoring the diverse flavors of Nepali cuisine. No group activities are planned until the evening welcome meeting, so feel free to explore. Kathmandu is fascinating at every turn and a great place to just wander, seeing where the city may lead you.
Hotel Traditional Comfort
KATHMANDU Location Information Description
Spend the day exploring Kathmandu, the colorful capital of this Himalayan nation. Pay a visit to Bodhnath Stupa, the holiest Tibetan Buddhist shrine outside of Tibet, and explore the wood-carved temples, pagados, and palaces of Bhaktapur, Nepal’s medieval capital.
Afterward, visit the Sisterhood of Survivors Project, dedicated to supporting female survivors of human trafficking. Meet a survivor who has successfully completed the project’s paralegal training, and learn how to make momos—Nepalese dumplings—with women enrolled in the project’s hospitality program. Enjoy your creations for lunch.
Hotel Traditional Comfort
KATHMANDU/PHARPING Location Information Description
Opt to take an early morning flight over Mount Everest, catching a glimpse of the highest peak on the planet; then venture to the ancient hilltop temple of Swayambhunath, decorated with vibrant prayer flags and home to troops of rhesus monkeys.
Later, you’ll hear about National Geographic Grantee Chhing Lhomi’s efforts to preserve the weaving traditions of the Upper Mustang region through her work with the Himalayan Indigenous Society, a Kathmandu-based nonprofit.
Location Information Description
Then depart for nearby Pharping, known for its Buddhist pilgrimage sites, and settle into a tranquil monastery guesthouse for the night. Get an insider’s view of monastery life, and enjoy a chanting and prayer service; or opt to take a walk in the monastery’s peaceful grounds. Experience the serenity of a Tibetan Buddhist monastery. The monastery guest house offers comfortable accommodations in a peaceful setting with balconies and private western-style bathrooms. There are approximately 200 monks in residence following the Nyingmapa tradition. This is a new monastery (2006), and income from the guest house directly supports it.
Overnight at a Buddhist Monastery
PHARPING/KURINTAR Location Information Description
Rise at dawn to listen to the monks’ morning chanting, and witness a stunning sunrise. Then drive to the small riverside village of Kurintar and hike to our lodge, nestled on a forested hill overlooking the Trishuli River. Opt to relax by the pool or take a guided walk through the surrounding countryside, stopping at local villages.
Arrive at your remote lodge, which sits on a ridge amidst the hills overlooking sandy beaches and a river. Forests cascade down the hillsides, enclosing tiny settlements of tribal people.
Summit River Lodge
KURINTAR/CHITWAN NATIONAL PARK Location Information Description
Chitwan National Park, Nepal
Today, you'll travel towards Chitwan National Park, Nepal’s oldest wildlife reserve and a UNESCO World Heritage site. The park is home to 68 recorded mammal species, including the one-horned rhino and the Bengal tiger, as well as hundreds of species of birds.
Check in to your lodge, located on the banks of the East Rapti River. After lunch, board a traditional flat-bottomed boat for a river safari, keeping your eyes out for aquatic birds, crocodiles, and other riverine fauna. Spend two nights enjoying cultural and wildlife excursions in and around Royal Chitwan National Park. The park is home to 450 species of birds, and 45 species of amphibians and reptiles, including sambars, chitals, rhesus monkeys, tigers, and langurs
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Barahi Jungle Lodge
CHITWAN NATIONAL PARK Location Information Description
Chitwan National Park, Nepal
Spend the day exploring Chitwan National Park on a variety of excursions; activities differ depending on the season. Set out on a jeep safari through the grasslands and forests, seeking out rhinos, leopards, elephants, monkeys, and the elusive Bengal tiger.
Meet with a “tiger technician” from the Nepal Tiger Trust, a nonprofit dedicated to the protection and conservation of these majestic cats. Visit a farming village bordering the park for a glimpse of rural life, and return to our lodge this evening in time for a dance performance by the local Tharu people.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Barahi Jungle Lodge
CHITWAN NATIONAL PARK/POKHARA Location Information Description
Drive to Pokhara, an enchanting town set on the shores of turquoise-hued Phewa Lake against a backdrop of snowcapped Himalayan peaks. Enjoy a guided walk around the city, and opt to have dinner at a popular local restaurant.
Temple Tree Resort & Spa
POKHARA Location Information Description
Venture to Sarangkot village early this morning and hike to the famed Sarangkot lookout to witness a breathtaking sunrise over the Annapurna Himalaya. Back in Pokhara, climb up a lush forest path to the gleaming white Peace Pagoda, built by Japanese monks after World War II.
Later, visit a Tibetan refugee settlement, established by the United Nations in 1964. Learn about the history of the community on a walk through their photo gallery, and enjoy a traditional Tibetan lunch. In your free time, opt to go paragliding, or take a boat tour of Phewa Lake.
Temple Tree Resort & Spa
POKHARA/KATHMANDU Location Information Description
Catch a flight back to the capital, Kathmandu. Enjoy time to shop in the bustling Thamel district, or choose to visit Pashupatinath Temple, the most sacred Hindu temple complex in Nepal. Enjoy free time in the afternoon for exploring. Visit the burning ghats at Pashupatinath and Swayambhunath, or the monkey temple. Kathmandu is fascinating at every turn, and some travelers prefer to just wander, seeing where the city may lead them.
Hotel Traditional Comfort
KATHMANDU Location Information Description
Depart at any time. Feel free to depart at any time today, but remember that check out time from the hotel is 12:00pm.
- It is your responsibility to obtain information and to have in your possession all the required documentation and identification required for entry, departure and travel to each country or region. This includes a valid passport and all travel documents required by the relevant governmental authorities including all visas, permits and certificates (including but not limited to vaccination or medical certificates) and insurance policies. You must have a passport that is valid 6 months after the last date of travel with the Tour Operator as set out on your itinerary. You accept full responsibility for obtaining all such documents, visas and permits prior to the start of the Tour, and you are solely responsible for the full amount of costs incurred as a result of missing or defective documentation. You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation.
- You agree that you are responsible for the full amount of any loss or expense incurred by the Tour Operator that is a direct result of your failure to secure or be in possession of proper travel documentation. The Tour Operator does not provide advice on travel documents and makes no representations or warrantees as to the accuracy or completeness of any information provided on visas, vaccinations, climate, clothing, baggage, or special equipment and you agree that the Tour Operator is not responsible for any errors or omissions in this information.
- Once a booking is cancelled the cancellation fees, if any, will be determined with reference to the date on which notice of cancellation is received by the Tour Operator and are expressed as a percentage of the total price paid for the cancelled Tour, product or service (excluding any insurance products).
- Cancellation received 60 days or more before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled product will be refunded.
- Cancellation received 30-59 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operator in respect of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 30 days before departure of first product or service in relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms, and no further refund will be payable.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and an amount equal to 50% of the remainder of the payments made to the Tour Operation for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: Lifetime Deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and no further refund will be payable.
- TAILOR MADE TOURS: Cancellation 90 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: 30% deposit will be held by the Tour Operator in accordance with these Terms and the remainder of the payments to the Tour Operator for the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation 60-89 days before first departure on relevant booking: An amount equal to 50% of the Tour price of the cancelled Tour will be refunded.
- Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: No refund will be payable.
- CANCELLATION OF PRE AND POST CRUISE ACCOMMODATIONS, ADD-ON PACKAGES, KAYAKING AND THEME PARKS: Cancellation 60 days or more before first departure on relevant booking: All payments made to the Tour Operator will be refunded. Cancellation less than 60 days before first departure on relevant booking: no refund is payable.
- AIRFARE: Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICES: Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour.
- ALL CANCELLATIONS must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- TRIP INSURANCE: The purchase of trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- FAMILY TOURS: In order to book a Tour designated as a “Family Tour” by the Tour Operator, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a Family Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a Family Tour.
- 18-to-THIRTYSOMETHINGS TOURS: To travel on a “18-to-Thirtysomethings” Tour, you must be at least 18 years of age as of the date of first travel and comply with any other age restrictions as may be promulgated from time to time by G Adventures.
- EXPEDITION TOURS: Medical Form for Expedition Tours: The Tour Operator’s Medical Form is mandatory for all Expedition Tours. You must return your Medical Form signed by a licensed and practicing physician to the Tour Operator prior to or at the time of final payment for the applicable booking.
- The Vessel used in Expedition Tours carries onboard service providers, which may include medical staff, spa personnel, or entertainers who operate as independent contractors. Their services and products are charged as Optional Extras and they contract directly with you to provide any products and services you request. Neither the Tour Operator nor the Carrier is responsible for these Optional Extras and will not be liable for the acts or omissions of these service providers.
- Shore excursions on Expedition Tours (“Shore Excursions”) are subject to their own set of terms and conditions, separate and apart from these Terms, and may be reserved after an Expedition Tour has been booked and confirmed. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are fit to participate in Shore Excursions.
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC JOURNEYS WITH G ADVENTURES AND NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC FAMILY JOURNEYS: National Geographic Partners, LLC (for purposes of these Terms, collectively “NGP”) will provide educational enrichment as outlined in its catalog and on its website (nationalgeographicjourneys.com) and has licensed G Adventures to organize and administer National Geographic Journeys tours. The Tour Operator is solely responsible for arranging and providing all the services and accommodations offered to you in connection with the Tour.
- By booking or traveling on a Tour, you certify that you do not have any mental, physical, or other condition that would create a hazard for yourself or other participants. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right in their sole discretion to accept, decline or remove any person on a Tour. NGP and the Tour Operator reserve the right, without penalty, to make changes in the published itinerary whenever, in their judgment, they deem it necessary for your comfort, convenience, or safety and in accordance with these Terms.
- In order to book a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour, you must be travelling as part of a “Family Unit”. A “Family Unit” is a group of two or more persons travelling and booking together, where at least one person is a minor in the care of at least one of the accompanying adults. One minor may accompany one or more adults for the purposes of being considered a Family Unit. The Tour Operator reserves the right to cancel the booking of anyone travelling or planning to travel on a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour who, in the Tour Operator’s sole discretion, do not properly constitute a Family Unit in accordance with this section or otherwise does not meet the Tour Operator’s requirements for participation in a National Geographic Family Journeys Tour.
- TAILORMADE TOURS: Price Validity: Upon receipt of your TailorMade booking request the Tour Operator will provide you with a quote for the chosen Tour. Prices quoted for all TailorMade Tours are valid until the date indicated on the quote, after which time the Tour Operator reserves the right to provide you with a revised quote. Any modifications to a TailorMade itinerary, including dates or number of people travelling, will be subject to a revised quote.
- ALL TOURS: Tour prices do not include international or other airfare unless expressly mentioned in the Tour’s descriptions. The Tour Operator will quote the best price available for the travel dates requested at the time the quote is prepared. Quotes provide an estimate only and are not a firm price commitment by the Tour Operator or the applicable air carrier(s).
- The Tour Operator acts only as a sales agent for the applicable air carrier and the air carrier terms and conditions apply to the purchase and use of the air travel ticket. Please consult the air carrier’s applicable terms and conditions and conditions of carriage for complete information including applicable cancellation terms. The Tour Operator is not responsible for changes in air itineraries or flight times and does not provide advice or alerts regarding air travel tickets, flight status or delays.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- You acknowledge that the nature of adventure travel requires flexibility and acknowledge that you will permit reasonable alterations to products, services or itineraries by the Tour Operator. The route, schedules, accommodations, activities, amenities and mode of transportation are subject to change without notice due to unforeseeable circumstances or events outside the control of the Tour Operator (including but not limited to Force Majeure, illness, mechanical breakdown, flight cancellations, strikes, political events and entry or border difficulties). No reimbursements, discounts or refunds will be issued for services that are missed or unused after departure due to no fault of the Tour Operator, including your removal from a Tour because of your negligence or breach of these Terms.
- The Tour Operator may modify your itinerary where reasonably required in its sole discretion. If the Tour Operator makes a change affecting at least one in three full days of the itinerary or which materially affects the character of a product or service in its entirety (a “Material Change”), the Tour Operator will provide notice to you as soon as reasonably possible, provided that there is sufficient time to do so before departure. If a Material Change is made more than 14 days before departure, you may choose to do the following:
- i) accept the Material Change and proceed with the amended product or service; ii) book another product or service of equal or greater value, if available (you will be responsible for paying any difference in price); or iii) book another product or service of lesser value, if available (with a refund payable to you for the difference in price); or iv) cancel the amended product or service and receive a full refund for the land-only portion of the applicable product or service (a refund is not available for other products or services booked which are not subject to a Material Change). You must notify the Tour Operator of your choice within 7 days of receiving notice or you will be deemed to accept the amended itinerary.
- Once a Tour has departed, itinerary changes may be necessary as a result of unforeseen circumstances, operational concerns, or concerns for your health, safety, enjoyment or comfort. Any changes are at the discretion of the Tour Operator. You acknowledge that you must have reasonable financial resources to cover incidental expenses during all travel with the Tour Operator, whether or not such expenses arise from a change of itinerary, and the Tour Operator is not liable for your failure to prepare adequately for travel and unforeseen circumstances which may arise during travel. The Tour Operator will not be liable for any indirect and or consequential losses associated with any changes to a booking or itinerary.
- Changes made by you: You are responsible for ensuring that information provided to the Tour Operator is accurate and up-to-date. Any changes to your name on any booking are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval. Any changes to a booking depend on availability and are subject to the Tour Operator’s approval and these Terms. Any extra costs incurred for making the change will be charged to you along with an administrative fee. Cancellation of any Tour, product or service included in a booking will not be considered a change for purposes of this section and will be governed by the applicable cancellation terms. No changes are permitted to any booking within 10 days of departure of the first product or service on the applicable booking.
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the G Adventures Terms & Conditions for more information.