Scandinavian Northern Lights
Pack up your sense adventure for this Scandinavian Northern Lights 9 Day tour. Travel from Helsinki, Finland to Stockholm, Sweden passing spectacular scenery, visiting museums and the hometown of Santa Claus, learn about reindeer and witness (weather permitting) the miraculous aurora borealis. The photos you take and memories you make will shine brightly in your memory.
Cherished childhood moments spring to life as you explore, Rovaniemi, Santa's hometown. Stop in his post office and send mail to someone you love. Step up to the edge of the Arctic Circle. Visit a reindeer farm and enjoy a sleigh ride through the beautiful snowy landscape. Weather permitting, multiple opportunities present themselves to witness the breathtaking Northern Lights. Visit Siida Sámi Museum to discover how the Sámi community has thrived in the extreme Arctic environment. Tour UNESCO - listed Gammelstad, Sweden famous for its 424 wooden houses built around an early 15th-century stone church while gaining insight into life during that time. Enjoy a delightfully traditional dinner with an indigenous Sámi reindeer herder family in their Sámi lavvu (similar to a teepee). Learn about Sweden's mining history. Visit Stockholm's Nobel Prize banquet facilities at the City Hall. Bring your mittens, your camera and your enthusiasm for this once-in-a-lifetime journey.
9 Days • fr. $2,942
Tour Highlights & Offers
- SIGHTSEEING with a Local Specialist in Helsinki and Stockholm
- MARVEL at the Northern Lights (weather permitting)
- VISIT Saariselkä, Rovaniemi, Kemi, Luleå, Jokkmokk and Kiruna
- EXPLORE Siida Sámi Museum, Ájtte Museum and Stockholm City Hall
- TOUR Rovaniemi, the hometown of Santa Claus
- RIDE an authentic Sámi reindeer-drawn sleigh
- STAY in a glass roofed hotel
- ENJOY Northern Lights wake-up call
- DINE with Sámi reindeer herder family in their lavvu (tepee)
- SEE the Sibelius Monument, Olympic Stadium, Opera House and Finlandia Hall in Helsinki
- VIEW Riddarholmen Church and the Royal Palace in Stockholm
- GUIDED TOUR in Gammelstad
- Handcrafted Highlights
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries
- All porterage and local charges included
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- VIP entry to many sights
- Airport transfers on the first and last day of your guided holiday
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation unless otherwise noted. This includes wait staff at included meals, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your tour director, local hosts, guides, and drivers are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in pricing details) and are discretionary.
- All items of a personal nature (room service, beverages, telephone charges, laundry, special food requests, etc.) and meals not specified on the tour itinerary are not included and must be paid by the client.
- All rates exclude airfare unless expressly noted.
- Clarion in Helsinki, Finland (1 night)
- Santa's Hotel Tunturi in Saariselkä, Finland (2 nights)
- Apukka Resort Aurora Cabins in Kemi, Finland (1 night)
- Elite Stadshotellet in Luleå, Sweden (1 night)
- Scandic Ferrum in Kiruna, Sweden (2 nights)
- Clarion in Stockholm, Sweden (1 night)
- The hotels listed are intended to be used on all departures however Trafalgar Tours reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those listed. No refunds are provided for hotel changes and full cancellation penalties apply.
ARRIVE HELSINKI Location Information Description
The capital of the north and a hub for creativity and design, Helsinki kick-starts your hunt for the mystical Northern Lights. On arrival, you'll be transferred to your hotel. Freshen up in the typical Finnish sauna or rooftop pool. Join your 'Local Specialist' for a city sightseeing tour before your Welcome Reception to set the tone for your epic Scandinavian adventure.
Holiday Inn City Center
HELSINKI – IVALO – SAARISELKA Location Information Description
A morning flight sees you travel north of the Arctic Circle to Ivalo before a short drive to the enchanting snowy escape of Saariselkä. Admire Finland's forest-filled winterscape before your visit to a reindeer farm.
Be sure to bundle up when you embrace the Sámi way of life and 'Dive Into Culture' on an unforgettable experience - board a sleigh for a ride through the snowy forest to earn your international reindeer driving license.
Tonight, if the sky is clear, you will have your first opportunity to marvel at the 'dancing lights' of the Aurora Borealis after dinner at your hotel.
SAARISELKA SIGHTSEEING AND FREE TIME Location Information Description
Delve into the centuries-old traditions and heritage of the Sámi people when you 'Dive Into Culture' and visit the Siida Sámi Museum, located on the shores of Lake Inari. Explore the museum's permanent collections reflecting the spirit and history of Sámi culture spanning centuries, as well as the evolution of the Sámi languages, Northern Lapland's unique natural environment and how this community has survived and indeed thrived in the Arctic's extremes.
This afternoon, you may want to purchase an Optional Experience you'll never forget. Navigate the snowy forests and fells on a husky safari. Watch in wonder as these eager dogs race across the white landscape with you in tow. After an exhilarating encounter with your new furry friends, you'll savor a warming drink around a fire and learn about this special canine breed.
SAARISELKA - ROVANIEMI - KEMI Location Information Description
Leave Saariselkä behind, travelling south to Rovaniemi, the official hometown of Santa Claus. Celebrate the magic of Christmas when you 'Dive Into Culture' and share yuletide greetings with Santa at his post office. You could choose to send a letter to your loved ones and snap a selfie at the edge of the Arctic Circle which runs through this Santa Claus Village, before bidding farewell to Rudolph for the next leg of your adventure.
Location Information Description
Arriving in Kemi, embrace Finnish tradition and relax in the hotel sauna keeping your ears open for the Northern Lights wake-up call.
Tonight’s Stays With Stories is like something out of a storybook and as you gaze upwards through your Aurora Cabin’s perfectly positioned glass roof in search of the Northern Lights, you’ll be grateful for your cozy home in the Arctic wilderness for the night.
Apukka Resort Aurora Cabins
KEMI - GAMMELSTAD - LULEA Location Information Description
Bid farewell to Finland, bound for Sweden. Your first stop is in the church village of Gammelstad, UNESCO-listed for its 424 wooden houses built around an early 15th-century stone church, providing visitors with a view of what such a village would have looked like in northern Scandinavia several centuries ago.
Location Information Description
Continue to Luleå, the largest city in Swedish Lapland. You'll have the afternoon at leisure to relax or visit the brick neo-Gothic Luleå Cathedral that dominates the city skyline.
LULEA - JOKKMOKK - KIRUNA Location Information Description
This morning venture north to Jokkmokk, a historic meeting place for trade and festivals alike. For over 400 years this important locality has been the home to an annual Winter Market and you can relish the region's natural produce for lunch.
Later, enjoy a guided tour through the Ájtte museum learning the story of life and survival in the demanding northern climate.
Location Information Description
Tonight, 'Connect With Locals' over a truly unique 'Be My Guest' dinner experience in Kiruna when you'll join a Sámi reindeer herder family for a traditional meal in their Sámi lavvu.
KIRUNA FREE TIME Location Information Description
Today, you'll learn how Kiruna is a town on the move. In just a few years, this Swedish Lapland mining center, including its heritage buildings, will be relocated just a few miles away due to the unstable land on which it currently sits as a result of the iron mining beneath its surface.
Spend the day exploring Kiruna at your own pace or purchase the option to delve into this unusual feat of engineering and embark on an underground mine tour or stay above ground and visit the Icehotel - an Optional Experience which includes a drink at the ice bar and an ice sculpting experience.
Tonight is your last chance to catch a glimpse of the Northern Lights, made even more special by the fact that in just a few years the vantage point of this hotel will be moved along with the entire town of Kiruna.
KIRUNA - STOCKHOLM SIGHTSEEING Location Information Description
Leave the Arctic behind and fly to Stockholm, Sweden's sophisticated capital. Join your 'Local Specialist' for a city sightseeing tour exploring 'beauty on water' as the locals refer to their beloved capital. Visit the City Hall, where Nobel prize banquets are held and purchase an Optional Experience to the Vasa Museum to view the world's best preserved 17th-century warship.
Tonight, your journey across Lapland in search of the mystical Northern Lights comes to an end with a memorable Farewell Dinner with new friends.
DEPART STOCKHOLM Location Information Description
As your journey to see the Northern Lights comes to an end, bid a fond farewell to Scandinavia and newfound friends. Airport transfers are available.
- 60 days or more prior to departure the deposit is non-refundable
- 59-16 days prior to commencement of services: 30% of total price*
- 15-8 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
- 7-1 days prior to commencement of services: 90% of total price*
- On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
- *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase. Intra-vacation air is non-refundable after final payment.
- Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including, but not limited to, flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full land and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply.
- In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
- All cancellations must be received in writing prior to tour departure. The cancellation policy will apply according to the date that the cancellation notification is received. The MINIMUM cancellation penalty is the deposit amount.
- The purchase to trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended.
Terms and Conditions
- Land only “from price” is per person based on two people sharing a room together and does not include airfare unless expressly stated.
- All prices are in US Dollars.
- A $200 non-refundable, non-transferable, per-person, per-vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted theseall Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit payment is processed and you receive a confirmation invoice.
- Final payment is due 60 days prior to departure, with some limited exceptions, as noted below. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date. The payment policy may vary for group reservations.
- Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full land plus air deposit or land deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
- For complete terms and conditions please visit the Trafalgar Terms & Conditions for more information.